Interop between US-Canada border

iowajm780

This is a curiosity question. Is there some kind of Interop frequency between CBSA and CBP for comm's or to monitor each other?
Not sure how border policy works between the two countries but would think this would be a faster way to talk rather than by phone.

BC_Scan

(LEO has) There is. I have them written down somewhere. There are a few I have heard tested in the past including one that WA state singled out.

Here in Vancouver, RCMP set aside two VHF channels for CBP to talk from YVR direct to Blaine. I have heard in past but they are encrypted. The last few times through YVR in 2022, CBP were no longer sporting comm's.
RCMP radio dispatch here alerts WA state in past is how its been, no direct chat

beeperboy

I remember installing some VHF P25 interop sites along the Alberta - Montana border 15 years ago. They colocated with PACS sites on the Alberta side. I'm not sure if the system was intended for Border Services, or for for smuggling/Drug Units. I don't think the system was every fully commissioned or used. I'm sure it's fallen apart by now. Such a waste of money.

ai8o

Brachiating Tetrapod
Years ago (2007?) I was going to Vancouver BC from Seattle. At the Peace Arch Border crossing the CBP wanted to close one lane.
I witnessed a very HI Tech communications method used by the US CBP and the CBSA.

A CBP agent walked over to the Canadian side, using shoe leather, and asked the CBSA to lower the gate.
Max interop communication method used here!;)

</Humor>

iowajm780

Thanks for the response. I watch that Border Security show on Canadian TV and it seems like the CBSA is dealing with mostly Americans who give those folks a hard time.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
This is a curiosity question. Is there some kind of Interop frequency between CBSA and CBP for comm's or to monitor each other?
Not sure how border policy works between the two countries but would think this would be a faster way to talk rather than by phone.

Northern Border Interop

These talkgroups area linked across the following radio systems as part of the Northern Border Interoperability Demonstration Project:

• Alberta First Responders' Radio Communication System (AFRRCS).
  • Maine State Communications Network (MSCommNet).
  • Michigan MPSCS.
  • Minnesota ARMER.
  • Montana Public Safety Communications System (MPSCS).
  • North Dakota Statewide Interoperable Radio Network (SIRN 20/20).
  • Northwest Ohio Regional Public Safety System.
  • Ohio MARCS-IP.
  • Ontario Public Safety Radio Network (PRSN).
  • Pennsylvania's PA-STARNet P25.
  • RENIR - Reseau National Integre de Radiocommunication (Quebec).
  • Saskatchewan Provincial Public Safety Telecommunications Network.

DEC HEX Mode Alpha TagDescriptionTag
940024b8DENBI-CALLNorthern Border Interop CallingInterop
940124b9DENBI-TAC1Northern Border Interop TAC 1Interop
940224baDENBI-TAC2Northern Border Interop TAC 2Interop
940324bbDNBI-TAC3Northern Border Interop TAC 3Interop
940424bcDNBI-TAC4Northern Border Interop TAC 4Interop

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I saw that posted on a Michigan system but as far as I know, none of it is implemented north of the border and it would surprise me if it's actually implemented on any state side systems.

Heck, PSRN is still in the buildout stage.

Deziel0495

PE/NB Database Guy
Database Admin
CBSA in Atlantic Canada operate on the MPSRN. However, i'm not sure how in-depth.

ecps92

If I recall correctly, Maine uses the standard day-to-day VHF channels that the normal Police n Fire use for any/all Border Interop

Last trip to Canada we had US Customs working (Ottawa) inside the Airport, making it a "Non international" flight back to Boston and they
were on the Normal CBP/OBP VHF, so it would be a high probability that Canada has some of the US VHF CBP/OBP channels as well

studgeman

Premium Subscriber
I spent a lot of time working this specific issue. I have no doubt there are some "not-so-official" ways of doing things, many things I was involved in were done with at least a slight wink and a nod by both county's operational level administrators. As far as official things it is nearly impossible to do anything legally according the US & Canada's own rules plus the several treaties involved. This is a state department level problem.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Don't seem like they even want to communicate with us

One of my buddies used to be a railroad cop and they worked together with Canada's railroad cops well, especially in the underground railroad tunnels.. It seems it would be in both their best interest to do so.

ToddWilkinson

ScanMN
Our Border Site is totally locked down with the big E

Guccisock5

Feed Provider
One of my buddies used to be a railroad cop and they worked together with Canada's railroad cops well, especially in the underground railroad tunnels.. It seems it would be in both their best interest to do so.

Same company though railroad cops are basically security guards protected by 100 year old weird laws.

moonbounce

All done by phone. No interop radio channels, at least not when I worked there. Even the police agencies don't have any common frequencies, all done by phone.