• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Interpreting flashcode

Status
Not open for further replies.

dstarr

Premium Subscriber
I'm looking at picking up a used XTS3000 and hoping someone might be able to look this over to see if I'm interpreting the flashcode correctly. The flashcode is 580008-000000-3 and decodes as the following:

Decoding Flashcode: 580008-000000-3
Q806 ASTRO Digital Operation
H14 Enhanced Digital ID Display
Q498 Hardware Multikey Encryption w/ OTAR
H38 SMARTZONE Systems Operation

I'm trying to reconcile the ad vs. what is actually there. Right now we run Smartzone, so it looks like this radio should be ok. I'm guessing that with Q806, the radio is also capable of analog? Are the flashcodes done with a highest common denominator approach (ex: if it says digital, then obviously it can do analog...sort of like H38 smartzone implies you can do H37 smartnet)?

The advertisement says the radio does P25 (something that would be nice to have for the future), but I don't see this in the decode table. Am I missing something or does this radio not have p25?

Thanks in advance for any help

immelmen

The advertisement says the radio does P25 (something that would be nice to have for the future), but I don't see this in the decode table. Am I missing something or does this radio not have p25?

That depends on what you mean by P25, as it seems to mean a lot of different things to different people.....

If your using P25 to mean CAI digital voice of Project 25. Yes, the listed flash will do CAI IMBE digital voice.

However, I get the vibe from your post, your using P25 to mean the 9600 control channel trunking standard of Project 25...The listed flashcode will NOT do P25 Trunking.

W2NJS

Analog FM on XTS5K and XTS3K

Let's put this clearly in the open once and for all. All XTS radios do Analog FM, regardless of what the radio's flashcode may or may not lead you to believe.

Tom, W2NJS

C138NC

Tactical Taco Consumer
Let's put this clearly in the open once and for all. All XTS radios do Analog FM, regardless of what the radio's flashcode may or may not lead you to believe.

Tom, W2NJS

I see in the CPS for the XTS if you set the tx/rx signal type to Astro would it be any different? if that setting actually tx/rx in digital voice reception or is it still analog FM as you said?

SCPD

QRT
I see in the CPS for the XTS if you set the tx/rx signal type to Astro would it be any different? if that setting actually tx/rx in digital voice reception or is it still analog FM as you said?
He means all ASTRO radios will do analog no matter what the flashcode says, conventional at least.

Can't you answer that question yourself? Aren't you the Motorola guru?

K8TEK

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
That honestly makes no sense.

C138NC

Tactical Taco Consumer
Ok since you guys are on top of me like white on rice, i am sorry it doesnt make sense to you but its just the option Im seeing in my CPS, Astro or non-astro for the TX/RX

As you said doesnt matter what flashcode it would be, its all going to be analog FM but what makes it RX in digital reception? Thats all im asking.

mancow

Database Admin
analog in TX field means analog transmit only
astro in TX field means it will transmit digital only
mixed mode in RX field means it will receive analog or digital automatically

So, if you want to transmit in analog mode but there is a chance someone on that frequency will transmit astro digital then set the RX mode to mixed. That way you get both.

Just be sure to go in to the Astro options and set the digital type to (digital carrier squelch) if you want to hear any and all transmissions regardless of what their NAC code is.

C138NC

Tactical Taco Consumer
analog in TX field means analog transmit only
astro in TX field means it will transmit digital only
mixed mode in RX field means it will receive analog or digital automatically

So, if you want to transmit in analog mode but there is a chance someone on that frequency will transmit astro digital then set the RX mode to mixed. That way you get both.

Just be sure to go in to the Astro options and set the digital type to (digital carrier squelch) if you want to hear any and all transmissions regardless of what their NAC code is.

Thank you, thats the answer I am looking for mancow.
icon14.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.