Intra facility communications

Status
Not open for further replies.

scrotumola

Cross post from other forum:

The major Medical Complex in my community consists of 6 large well established hospitals is in one of the top 'RF rich' environments in the city. The elevation is pretty high and is known as hospital hill. It is prime RF real estate. Most of these hospitals have a huge plethora of antennas, dishes and telecommunications or wireless infrastructure on their rooftops.

I spent a lot of time on the top floor of the main level 1 trauma center last year and what seemed like spectrum wide RF saturation was unbelievable.

One observation that I made was that murs radios were in use at this hospital, which suprised me. Even at 1 watt from their elevation, potentially sensitive or HIPPA related material could be monitored from a LONG way off.

On several floors, I did observe a two-way radio device that I was not familiar with. This thing had the shape and size of a flat highlighter marker pen. Most employees carried them, from Nurses, aides, orderlies and housekeeping, but not on all floors. Some of the nurses and staff had it hanging from a lanyard around their neck, others carried it standalone in a pocket in their smocks.

This device had 3 buttons on it and the user would push a page button and say "call so-and-so" and the device would repeat "call so and so?" and the user would reply yes or no if the device recognized the name correctly. It would then page the intended recipient and the recipient could acknowledge the call or deny the call verbally or by pushing another button. They could then conduct a semi-duplex conversation that used vox. The audio sounded digital. I am not sure if this was spread spectrum 900 but either way I could not find it anywhere on my receiver. I do not know if it was multi frequency, capable of multiple simultaneous contacts/conversations or used a TDMA or trunked type frequency management system. It might be possible that this was a single frequency or paired frequency device with a call buffer, but again I am not sure.

I got to take a close look at one of these devices, but the one that I got to see didn't have any identifiers, FCC type acceptance label or anything useful in identifying this object of interest.

There was also and all-call or announcement button on this device.

Any clues?

Last edited:

scrotumola

You are the man, Tom! Functionally that is exactly what I saw. Although the end user unit I saw was not particularly whats on the demo video, the one I saw did not have the lcd display, otherwise functionally and almost physically this is a match.

This is a really neat system and am surprised I hadn't seen marketing literature for it before. The 802.11x backplane explains why I couldn't find it on my receiver.

For everyone else not checking the above link, check out the demo video.

http://www.vocera.com/video/Vocera_5_02.wmv

Status
Not open for further replies.