• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Intra-WACN roaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

ACU1000

What is the purpose of setting up a system like the JNCR (DOD) system where you have multiple systems (multiple system IDs) with the same WACN ID like these...

Joint National Capital Region (008)Project 25 Phase I (FDMA)ViennaJoint National Capital Region (Fort Belvoir)Project 25 Phase I (FDMA)VariousJoint National Capital Region (National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency)Project 25 Phase I (FDMA)Various

I am told this allows for a feature called "intra-wacn roaming" - but I dont know what that really means?

Frankly, if you wanted people from one system to be able to affiliate onto the other system, why not have one sysid and one wacn id to begin with and just end up with one larger system - or does it have something to do with a limit to the number of sites allowed per system (is there a limit perhaps)?

What am i missing? What is inter-wacn roaming, what is the purpose, and how is it used practically?

Thanks,

N

N_Jay

It has to do with the types of "roaming" and their evolution.

Much of what is being done now are workarounds for roaming that was not considered in legacy systems.

Much of this is addressed in the future systems, but you always have some legacy issues.

N

N_Jay

Let's try a more specific question instead of "What am I missing?", OK?

A

ACU1000

THE QUESTION POSTED WAS:

What is intra-wacn roaming, what is the purpose, and how is it used practically?

N

N_Jay

What is intra-wacn roaming,
Roaming between a "home" network or system and a "visiting" system that both have teh same WACN to allow such roaming to occure proior to the existance and/or implementation of all th epieces reqauired for other types of roaming.

what is the purpose,
It allows a unit to visit a system other than its own.

how is it used practically?
I am not sure what you mean.

I think you are reading too much into the term intra-WACN roaming. I don'yt think it is any one thing.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Intra WACN Roaming allows for any user of an P-25 TRS to be able to communicate on other P-25 TRS's. This fits practical usage with this example: State X and State Y are neighboring states both using an P-25 TRS. The WACN's are identical allowing interoperationality between the systems. In an emergency an user on State X's system can cross state lines and be able to function on State Y's system. This type of thing is also improved with the usage of ISSI and specially set up tg's. To use the two Nationwide 380 MHz P-25 systems as an example- Your an federal agent that is working a case involving huge areas. You can cross multiple zones, and into other systems that are actually part of your whole system, and still communicate directly with your radio without having to do extra programming. As N_Jay has stated this is an advance over the older roaming techniques, and just a glimpse of the future.

A

ACU1000

I understand both responses - thanks. But to use the following example...
To use the two Nationwide 380 MHz P-25 systems as an example- Your an federal agent that is working a case involving huge areas. You can cross multiple zones, and into other systems that are actually part of your whole system, and still communicate directly with your radio without having to do extra programming.
... why?

If I have the forethought to create multiple SYSID's under the same WACN's... why whould I want to have more than one 380 MHz P-25 systems (each with different SYSID) associated with the same WACN? Why not just have one huge 380 MHz P-25 system with lots of sites, talkgroups, users etc.?

From what I can tell MOTO develops systems with a 1:1 relationship only 1 WACN and 1 SYSID in a single relationship. Others like HARRIS are using this concept of intra-WACN roaming. I guess I understand what it is, I just dont understand why you would use it or need it- can anyone answer that?

THANKS

PS. The example of two neighboring states sharing the same WACN (sounds far fetched - first the forethought and second who would the WACN get assigned to, State A or State B?, as owner) hog wash.

Last edited:

ILMRadioMan

I understand both responses - thanks. But to use the following example...... why?

If I have the forethought to create multiple SYSID's under the same WACN's... why whould I want to have more than one 380 MHz P-25 systems (each with different SYSID) associated with the same WACN? Why not just have one huge 380 MHz P-25 system with lots of sites, talkgroups, users etc.?

From what I can tell MOTO develops systems with a 1:1 relationship only 1 WACN and 1 SYSID in a single relationship. Others like HARRIS are using this concept of intra-WACN roaming. I guess I understand what it is, I just dont understand why you would use it or need it- can anyone answer that?

THANKS

PS. The example of two neighboring states sharing the same WACN (sounds far fetched - first the forethought and second who would the WACN get assigned to, State A or State B?, as owner) hog wash.

Quite simply put, there is a maximum number of Sites / Talkgroups / Radio IDs per system.

If we have one big nationwide system, TG and Radio IDs would dwindle rapidly.

A

ACU1000

Quite simply put, there is a maximum number of Sites / Talkgroups / Radio IDs per system.

I'll stick with this as an answer for now ;-)

That said, it poses a new question...

If I have a current system that is about to run out of Radio ID capacity (for example what is about to happen on the state of Indiana system) - can I just implement another SYSTEM within my WACN and start populating that system with the additional Radio ID's so they can Roam on the other system - but never add more than 1 Site ID to the new system and simply use the functionality to add the needed users (albiet for the arguement of capacity I might need to add many sites) ???

Thanks (again) in advance.

Please reply,

N

N_Jay

You sit down with your consultant and your system vendor and you discuss the implication of the various options available for expanding the system.

Yes, you might be able to split the system, or you might be able to update to a system level with additional ID capacity, or your could restructure your system to recover waisted and "parked" IDs.

The specific options are going to depend on your specific situation and your specific system vendor, and your specific requirements.

A

ACU1000

My question about adding a system was aimed at helping better understand intra-WACN roaming, how it might be used and its purposes (which is the topic of this thread.)

Once again, N_Jay, your response didn't answer the question. Any idiot can talk to a consultant or call the vendor - LOL.

I give up - I'm done posting to this topic.

N

N_Jay

Sorry, but that answer is a definite MAYBE.
I guess you did not get to the second and third sentence.

ILMRadioMan

My question about adding a system was aimed at helping better understand intra-WACN roaming, how it might be used and its purposes (which is the topic of this thread.)

Once again, N_Jay, your response didn't answer the question. Any idiot can talk to a consultant or call the vendor - LOL.

I give up - I'm done posting to this topic.

N_Jay is correct. The best way to resolve this problem is proper "bookkeeping" (read: management) of a system. Reworking ID schemes, etc... not just throwing more money at it.

Sure in a world of infinite dollars we could just build another system in the exact same place and get a whole new batch of IDs.

But it should be obvious that it isnt cost effective.

I could have 10 systems at the same sites and give myself 10x the IDs, TGs, etc...

But you will be building out 10 seperate systems, with 10 different sets of frequencies, etc...

However (and I could be incorrect), I believe you still have to have a unique ID.

So if my ID is 123456 (and I am affiliated), and your ID is 123456 and you try to affiliate, it wont allow you.

Again, I could be mistaken, by I believe it is similar to OMNILINK in that aspect of requiring unique IDs.

Last edited by a moderator:

INDY72

And just as an add on note- Look at the WACN's of all non fed p-25 trs's.. BEEOO SAME WACN for all, differring SYSID's. Allowing for full interop with any of the P-25 TRS's in this country.

N

N_Jay

And just as an add on note- Look at the WACN's of all non fed p-25 trs's.. BEEOO SAME WACN for all, differring SYSID's. Allowing for full interop with any of the P-25 TRS's in this country.

Do you know if this is true for non-Motorola systems?

INDY72

Let me look real fast. Trying to emember who has Harris P-25 up and running.

INDY72

As far as I can determine the only system I cant find any WACN info on yet is the EADS one in TN. No one has run a software package yet and logged the WACN. Even the ones in VA that are running P-25 Phase II are showing WACN BEEOO.

INDY72

OK found one thats not BEEOO tht is the City of Oakland, CA P-25 that they are implementing.. It has the WACN of 92556 , but this is about the only differrring one I have found yet that is non fed.

Status
Not open for further replies.