Intro / Question on SAFE-T

WRVL438

Good afternoon,

I am very new to the radio world (started a few weeks ago with a gift) and this forum in general. I ask you all to forgive me for not being 100% engrained and if I missed something while searching the forum for answers. None of the searches were fruitful but did lead me to more questions. I am currently only holding a GMRS license but studying to join the HAM realm.

Now to the meat of the question. I was gifted an FTM-400XD set up for Christmas. I was wanting to know if it is able to access the SAFE-T systems to listen / scan. I'm able to punch into the system the frequencies itself but that doesn't yield anything (IE: 851.400). Again, I just started down my radio journey a few weeks ago. I have the rest of the frequencies from Miami County area punched in already.

So, is this radio able to access the SAFE-T systems as a listener? Do I need a different antenna to be able to listen to these frequencies?

Thank you all for your help and I look forward to becoming a part of this community.

WRVL438

No. You need a radio capable of decoding APCO P25 and your radio does not have that capability.
Thank you AK9R. I figured as much but wanted to confirm. Are there any well-known handheld radios that include the decoding APCO P25 functionality?

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I'm not aware of any radios made for the amateur radio market that can decode P25.

WRVL438

Wonderful, I appreciate your replies and the links provided. At least I no longer have to bash my head against the wall thinking I'm doing something wrong lol.