• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Introduction, and APX8000 questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

SWOLH

Thanks to the people here, I have learned so much lurking. I'm a recent hire into the radio world, after working in Aerospace comms for many years.

Currently supporting Turbo and NXDN networks at major industrial sites. I haven't been doing much in Public Safety, but a contact with the local Fire Dept asked me about the shiny new APX8000 his guys want. They do not have a P25 network. Current setup is a 5 site Kairos multicast DMR system. Works very well, from the little I know about it.
I see the APX8000 radio talks about "all bands", but I don't see explicit DMR support mentioned.
Will it support DMR?

I can't imagine the price difference between their current 7550s and these 8000s. :)
Of all things the fire fighters want: The "offset" knobs, for better control when wearing gloves.
Thanks again for all the help.

Ant9270

The Green Weenie
No, there is no firmware in the works that supports DMR on the APX series. This is an easy way for MSI to continue to profit off of the TRBO series for industrial industries/ small departments, and continue to make mass amounts of cash off of statewide systems/departments on the APX line.

SWOLH

Thanks for the help. I see several of the regional FDs do not have P25.
No budget for it, from what I am told, and there is no broad cooperation between city/county agencies.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
My first question is who was the beaurocrat that got duped into buying a non-mission critical system for mission critical communication in the first place...

Probably the same beaurocrat from whatever small town where money doesn't grow on trees, and they can't afford Motorola's outrageous prices.

Ant9270

The Green Weenie
Probably the same beaurocrat from whatever small town where money doesn't grow on trees, and they can't afford Motorola's outrageous prices.

You hit the nail on the head. Not every department has funding or can obtain grants to get P25 Sub units and a simulcast voted system, lol. And honestly, that's why I see more and more departments switching to Kenwood for their sub units. I cant tell you how many times i've heard sleazy salesmen tell chiefs that P25 or DMR equates encryption automatically. How many clueless LEOs i've heard (no fault of their own) saying "How can you hear us, we're encrypted" Uhhhh, Yeah..... About that.

phillydjdan

Can't afford P25 but can afford DMR, when analog works perfectly well... Oh and then when you want to upgrade your pretty little DMR radios you still need to buy Mother M's "licenses" that essentially only "unlocks" features the radio already has in it lol

RFI-EMI-GUY

I have compared DMR with P25 technology benefts vs cost under a number of scenarios. Unless you have a specific P25 interoperability requirement or need for AES256 and key management, the DMR far outweighs P25. The grant programs that require P25 don't offer enough financial incentive to make up for the ENORMOUS cost differential of P25. DMR is pretty good stuff, don't dismiss it for mission critical.

Last edited:

RFI-EMI-GUY

Can't afford P25 but can afford DMR, when analog works perfectly well... Oh and then when you want to upgrade your pretty little DMR radios you still need to buy Mother M's "licenses" that essentially only "unlocks" features the radio already has in it lol

There are other DMR vendors. Unfortunately the best of them Hytera, has been effectively squashed like a bug by /\/\. Hytera should have been squeaky clean when flying so close to the sun.

/\/\ has pricey mandatory "make it work" option licenses on all the P25 stuff. They would rather you rent in perpetuity (or until its obsolete) than have you own the stuff independently and not need to feed the monster.

I agree analog is sufficient in some cases, but the narrowbanding has crippled the signal budget. The only way to get it back is either DMR, P25 or NXDN.

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
…..shiny new APX8000 his guys want.

Would be interesting to know why they think they need APX8000's. "Because everyone else has them" is not a good answer, but that's often what you'll hear. They see other agencies with a specific radio, or worse, see them on TV, and assume that they 'deserve' the same radios. Often these guys are clueless when it comes to the technology and just want the brand name.

Kind of silly to have a DMR system, but then want high buck APX radios.

I see the APX8000 radio talks about "all bands", but I don't see explicit DMR support mentioned.
Will it support DMR?

Yeah, it doesn't as stated above.

Lots of other radios that will support DMR that would be just fine in the fire service.
Usually letting the fire fighters pick radios based on looks or brand name is a real bad idea.

slobonmycob

Know-Nothingism
I cant tell you how many times i've heard sleazy salesmen tell chiefs that P25 or DMR equates encryption automatically. How many clueless LEOs i've heard (no fault of their own) saying "How can you hear us, we're encrypted" Uhhhh, Yeah..... About that.
My agency has been told the EXACT same thing. Just because it takes a certain type of radio/scanner does NOT mean that it’s encrypted. Funny to see it’s a common misconception.

Status
Not open for further replies.