Introduction to ham radio for gray hairs?

TrainsOfThought

Land, waters, sky...an entire universe to monitor!
Premium Subscriber
I was a huge scanner enthusiast until the 90's /2000. Retired in 2018 and getting back into scanning HEAVY. BUT...I've been fascinated by radio communication since high school and a GREAT mentor high school Earth Science teacher. All these years scanning, since there is a crossover-of-sorts I've "casually" followed accompanying ham radio stories, tutorials, principle articles. At age 62 and non/difficult "techy" is it too late for me to study ham radio farther? Am I stuck with Ham Radio for Dummies (or brain-dead morons in my case) or is there something else? Or just "go the course" to see how I do?

Thanks for any ideas. Loving life here on RadioReference.

marlin39a

Premium Subscriber
I got my Technician license at 62, after wanting to pursue it since my teens. I studied online, taking sample tests for several weeks. Recently got my GMRS ticket also. I’m not very active, being a listener more than a talker. Go for it.

ka3aaa

Premium Subscriber
How bad do you want to get your ticket, its never to late to learn something new, you need to crawl before you can walk, just like ham radio, there are many aspects of and things to do in ham radio, take your time and go one step at a time. If you can handle today's scanners which have a very steep learning curve, you can get your ticket. The secret to learning something new is study for a few hours and then let it lay for a while and pick it up later on, your under no pressure from anyone but your self. Good luck.

Oh wow, Trains--- becoming a ham never has been easier.

I posted a pep-talk about this for another fellow just a little while ago-- this is an extract of that --

I have several girlfriends that decided, quite on-the-moment, they wanted to become hams---
Two got ARRL manuals for both Tech and General, scanned them quickly--then ran thru an on-line exam of sample tests until they memorized the answers to anything they didn't understand (at least 50%)---- I recommended this one site--

HamExam.org: Free Amateur Radio Practice Tests with Flash Cards

Both ace'd the Tech/General on their first go's two weeks later--- and one of them had never so much as twirl'd a tuning knob on a ham radio !
The third, my life long friend and work colleague, having seen me play ham radio for years decided to take a shot at it too.
With literally only a few days preparation she went from zero to an Extra Class in one test session. It probably didn't hurt that she is a PhD physicist.

There is no longer any code exam, but I am sure you know that.
For several years I was a Volunteer examiner (VE) and with my VE team we gave many exams. We were quite proud that over 95%+ pass'd (we would let you retest until you passed-- which just about everyone did :) -- some needed a few extra shots at it, but (nearly) everyone left smiling. Those that return'd for the next test session passed 100%.

A Ham Radio license is an entry port into a fascinating hobby. Its only limited by your imagination; something that you can grow into, even in your 60's.

More question ? Ask away !

Lauri

6ipnr54iE.jpg

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
Am I stuck with Ham Radio for Dummies (or brain-dead morons in my case) or is there something else?
As others have said, it's never too late to learn new things.
We all learn differently, so you may want to explore different educational avenues.

As @Lauri-CoyoteFrostbite mentioned, hamexam.org (and similar) sites are one possibility. The ARRL publishes study guides, but I prefer Gordon West's books because his writing style is less formal.

There are many, many, YouTube videos. Among the best are those from David Casler's, KE0OG, "Ham Radio Answers". He has an entire series of license prep videos for each license class. I've known Dave since junior high and he's always been very good at explaining things. He also has a live video on Saturday mornings. Dave uses the ARRL written materials and is a columnist for QST Magazine.

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
Another option would be an on-line course. I took this in 2020 while "locked down" at home and got my license. I enjoyed the class so much that I ended up doing the General and Amateur Extra classes too.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I think I was 67 when I got my license. I'm 79 now. I, too, am more of a listener. There are several things preventing me from going deeper in the hobby than I am now. First, I have a small laser etching business. I couldn't make a living at it but it supports my coffee habit. Second, I've been playing in a little country band since about 2009. Gigs and rehearsals take up a lot of time. (I play in a band but at my age, it's getting tougher and tougher to be a chick magnet. :) ) I only use a mobile rig but I do have a couple of quality portables.

The local club is fairly active and the area probably has more repeaters than most cities our size. I just checked and there are 15 active regular repeaters (.70m, 1.25m, 2m & 6m) in the area plus D-Star, Fusion and one APRS-only. Ft. Moore (you probably know it as Ft. Benning but don't get me started) adds a lot to the number of active participants.

Most of that info is superfluous except to say I was well into my Medicare years before I got my license.

k6cpo

I was licensed at 64. I'm now almost 77 and still going strong in the hobby. I'm President of ham radio club, Vice-President of another, Section Public Information Coordinator, ARES Public Information Officer and the go-to net control operator for our twice yearly, county-wide hospital drills. Don't let your age hold you back.

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
My interest in amateur radio began as a child, but when your single parent was part of the working poor, there was no money for a Heathkit catalog, much less a SB-102 and accessories.

After that, the military, several universities, work, and life took over. Only after chucking most of that was I able to do what I wanted to do and get into the hobby. Unless you are a trust fund child or a very successful and former entrepreneur, it isn't cheap.

Do it.

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
I have heard this website is a good place to use, they also have a app as well.

I personally used the Gordon West Study guide books years ago when I took my tests.

Blueliner

I think I was 67 when I got my license. I'm 79 now. I, too, am more of a listener. There are several things preventing me from going deeper in the hobby than I am now. First, I have a small laser etching business. I couldn't make a living at it but it supports my coffee habit. Second, I've been playing in a little country band since about 2009. Gigs and rehearsals take up a lot of time. (I play in a band but at my age, it's getting tougher and tougher to be a chick magnet. :) ) I only use a mobile rig but I do have a couple of quality portables.

The local club is fairly active and the area probably has more repeaters than most cities our size. I just checked and there are 15 active regular repeaters (.70m, 1.25m, 2m & 6m) in the area plus D-Star, Fusion and one APRS-only. Ft. Moore (you probably know it as Ft. Benning but don't get me started) adds a lot to the number of active participants.

Most of that info is superfluous except to say I was well into my Medicare years before I got my license.
So at 71 I'm not completely insane for downloading and studying the Technician test questions? While I get most of the "right" answers, I find that I am just as curious as to why the "wrong" answers are...."wrong".
Thanks for posting these encouraging messages, maybe one day soon, I'll be on as a Technician Class.

littona

Super Freq
Premium Subscriber
So at 71 I'm not completely insane for downloading and studying the Technician test questions? While I get most of the "right" answers, I find that I am just as curious as to why the "wrong" answers are...."wrong".
Thanks for posting these encouraging messages, maybe one day soon, I'll be on as a Technician Class.
Many of the online study guides will also tell you why your answer is right/wrong, which helps out quite a bit! One such is HamStudy.org: Cutting edge amateur radio study tools

Blackswan73

I have been an SWL since I was 13 and a scanner enthusiast since I was 20. I got my general class ticket in 2015 at the age of 64. I am currently into scanning and 40 meter ham communications. Never too late. You can get a technician ticket super easy. But go for a general. It gives you more privileges and frequencies.
73’s KD9DCQ
BS

Last edited: