'INW's Mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
Finally was able to get my Kenwood TM-V71A mounted into my relatively new 2011 GMC Sierra WT after going without it due to being so busy (life I suppose!).

img8043h.jpg

The antenna is a Diamond SG7500NMO mounted through the roof (drill, drill, drill!!) and the pictures were taken while standing in the driver's door, in case it's hard to tell.

img8032p.jpg

img8033ww.jpg

I ran power through the firewall by carefully drilling and then grommeting an appropriately sized hole. It's then properly loomed and zip-tied all the way to the battery. Everything is then simply mounted to the dash. I love having a column shifter and no center console!

img8045d.jpg

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
Thanks everyone! It seems to be working quite well but I'll be putting in an old Motorola speaker soon because its internal speaker is just too weak for my tastes. I've had the radio for 3 years so that was expected but I was curious to see how it did stock in this vehicle (I also haven't put a connector on the /\/\ speaker yet).

mrweather

Nice and clean, good job! And yes, use an external speaker. The internal one is weak in a mobile environment.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
Thanks everyone! It seems to be working quite well but I'll be putting in an old Motorola speaker soon because its internal speaker is just too weak for my tastes. I've had the radio for 3 years so that was expected but I was curious to see how it did stock in this vehicle (I also haven't put a connector on the /\/\ speaker yet).

I use a Motorola HLN6404A 15 watt amplified speaker with the TM-V71A in the car. Nice and loud now. I had another unamplified Motorola speaker first but it just wasn't loud enough with the windows down or at highway speeds. The internal speaker is the only weak componet of the 71A.

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the tip. I believe I have an HSN1000 laying around somewhere so that may be next.

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
Thanks again! I added the external speaker and it's much better now. I can actually hear everything now at highway speeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.