Iowa City GMRS Repeater Peering?

sempai

Premium Subscriber
There's a good chance by end of summer I'll have a repeater in my attic off Sycamore at 700+ feet, but what I really want is a repeater midway between my house in Iowa City and another house east of me.

Something near this _three words_ location: ///jolly.verbs.letter or, further south and east more near ///ended.ships.future would probably work great too. I am not really a DIY unless it's software, so I'd probably ask my electrician or handyman to help me get something deployed in the attic or above my house. I have a bit of drone traffic happening most of the year and I'm not within the KIOW approach or anything and for a while I wanted to get a giant flag pole installed in my back yard so I have my maximum height of structure notes, but I don't know that wattage would get me over to that side of town and there aren't any public listed GMRS repeaters that I'm aware of around here.

Yes I've found the kitchen using FRS/GMRS radios to conduct business, no I don't know what restaurant they work at, but my HackRF has a portapack so if they become a problem for some reason I'll help hunt the witches with someone.

tl;dr is there anyone operating a GMRS repeater or has antenna space near Wood, Kickers, or Village Green I'd like to shake hands with someone over there to help my 8yo reach a neighborhood where a couple of her friends can listen by using some radio magic. She took to lock picking and basic coding just like her dad and she's arguably better at math than I am already so I'm trying to encourage interests like this!

srwall

Premium Subscriber
I was googling around for GMRS repeater information and happened find this post.
I was amused that randomly I found reference to the Village Green neighborhood in IC where I grew up.
I haven't lived there for almost 25 years but I still come through once or twice a year. I need to remember to bring my HT with me next time.

bill4long

Yes I've found the kitchen using FRS/GMRS radios to conduct business, no I don't know what restaurant they work at, but my HackRF has a portapack so if they become a problem for some reason I'll help hunt the witches with someone.

?

sempai

Premium Subscriber
I was googling around for GMRS repeater information and happened find this post.
I was amused that randomly I found reference to the Village Green neighborhood in IC where I grew up.
I haven't lived there for almost 25 years but I still come through once or twice a year. I need to remember to bring my HT with me next time.
There are no open or even private GMRS repeaters as far as I know in this town and I've been listening for seven years. There's an abandoned repeater 60 miles from town that I can't reach with 5-7W and I have _never_ heard a peep out of other than a CW burst of an FCC call that takes you to the location and the owner. It's on 15, but like I said I've never heard anything other than CW so I don't know if it's even using a +5 offset.

I often have at least one radio listening for so-called GMRS Call/Travel though, so if you gave a shout I'd probably hear you. I'm here 75% of the time and we use a household GMRS system. I'd have a repeater here but I don't need one here, it wouldn't solve my problem: bridging my house and another family's house to my coparent's house behind a hill. It's only a few miles but cannot get line of sight not even by drone, I measured how high I could get an antenna to see if I could clear it but tragically no.

edit: clarified GMRS repeaters not just repeaters because there are several amateur repeaters (like 2-3 2m and 3-4 70cm) for analog and at least once a day someone will give a shout. in june i could listen to a repeater in indianapolis indiana in my kitchen from 5:30am-7:30am

Last edited:

sempai

Premium Subscriber
Occasionally there's some weird shenanigans on radios in this town, I used a colloquialism for hunting down imaginary villains. I should have used foxhunt but I wanted to roll my eyes a little at the prospect of hassling the food truck people on GMRS5.

bill4long

Occasionally there's some weird shenanigans on radios in this town, I used a colloquialism for hunting down imaginary villains. I should have used foxhunt but I wanted to roll my eyes a little at the prospect of hassling the food truck people on GMRS5.
Are the food truck people doing something illegal?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
not that i am aware of, hence rolling my eyes that they're causing problems. i have heard people talking about them on a ham repeater.

Be wary of what you hear from hams regarding GMRS.

GMRS and FRS frequencies are shared, and said food truck could be using FRS radios.
Also, there is no limitations on a business using either FRS or GMRS as long as they are working within the rules, and if on GMRS, properly licensed.

sempai

Premium Subscriber
Be wary of what you hear from hams regarding GMRS.

GMRS and FRS frequencies are shared, and said food truck could be using FRS radios.
Also, there is no limitations on a business using either FRS or GMRS as long as they are working within the rules, and if on GMRS, properly licensed.
exactly why i wouldn't be roped into that nonsense.

mws72

Premium Subscriber
Did you know at one time Iowa City Schools ran their buses on 462.700? Which is the same frequency I was licensed on GMRS in the late nineties in Davenport. Back when you were only on a pair. Anytime the conditions came up I could hear them when I turned off the tone squelch.

sempai

Premium Subscriber
Did you know at one time Iowa City Schools ran their buses on 462.700? Which is the same frequency I was licensed on GMRS in the late nineties in Davenport. Back when you were only on a pair. Anytime the conditions came up I could hear them when I turned off the tone squelch.
i had no idea!

i have limited my sds100 in the mornings and afternoons to the schools my kids attend and the busses but i hardly hear anything from my 9yo's school half a mile from me.

they're on those things all the time so i think we may have an incomplete view of that nxdn 4800 system they're on. trying to figure out how i can possibly use my sds100 to cast a wider net and see if there are missing talk groups or something.

owenmcc1

Feed Provider
There are no open or even private GMRS repeaters as far as I know in this town and I've been listening for seven years. There's an abandoned repeater 60 miles from town that I can't reach with 5-7W and I have _never_ heard a peep out of other than a CW burst of an FCC call that takes you to the location and the owner. It's on 15, but like I said I've never heard anything other than CW so I don't know if it's even using a +5 offset.

I often have at least one radio listening for so-called GMRS Call/Travel though, so if you gave a shout I'd probably hear you. I'm here 75% of the time and we use a household GMRS system. I'd have a repeater here but I don't need one here, it wouldn't solve my problem: bridging my house and another family's house to my coparent's house behind a hill. It's only a few miles but cannot get line of sight not even by drone, I measured how high I could get an antenna to see if I could clear it but tragically no.

edit: clarified GMRS repeaters not just repeaters because there are several amateur repeaters (like 2-3 2m and 3-4 70cm) for analog and at least once a day someone will give a shout. in june i could listen to a repeater in indianapolis indiana in my kitchen from 5:30am-7:30am
There is a repeater in Cedar Rapids. I forget which frequency pair.