Iowa Hightway Patrol Frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawks4ever

Thank, I should have asked if in addition to what RadioReference is showiing for frequencies for the Iowa Highway Patrol does anyone know if the Iowa Highway Patrol is still using 155.430? At one time this frequency was used as a car to car frequency. Curious as to why I am not hearing anything on the Highway Patrol frequencies shown on RadioReference in the east central portion of the state.
Thanks.

timkilbride

Database Admin
ISP still uses 155.430, in P25, no analog. However, since going P25 on that channel, CIS traffic has increased because the troopers don't like the digital. CIS is on 155.445 (127.3).

If you ask a trooper, they are under the impression we can't hear them on 155.430. And you can tell by listening to them too.

Tim

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Iowa DOT

When I visited the area near Sioux City, I noticed that I could hear the Troopers on occasion, not on a frequent basis. I suppose they are using MDT. I did think it was odd that DOT had an enforcement arm. When I did hear DOT, they were using encryption. I've not been there in a while. Hopefully, when I return with my 436HP, I will be able to discover more frequencies.

IowaGuy1603

When I visited the area near Sioux City, I noticed that I could hear the Troopers on occasion, not on a frequent basis. I suppose they are using MDT. I did think it was odd that DOT had an enforcement arm. When I did hear DOT, they were using encryption. I've not been there in a while. Hopefully, when I return with my 436HP, I will be able to discover more frequencies.

The DOT uses P25....and rarely uses encryption. Most of the DOT P25 is maintenance rather than Enforcement.

I don't understand why you would think it odd that the DOT has enforcement....most states have MV Enforcement although many have the Troopers doing that instead of a stand alone Law Enforcement agency

Troopers, DOT Enforcement and most other agencies use either MDT's or cellphones for any sensitive traffic.

MOST dispatching is done in the clear ( although depending on the agency it might be P25)

You are not going to "discover" many frequencies that are not in the RR Database

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Odd?

The DOT uses P25....and rarely uses encryption. Most of the DOT P25 is maintenance rather than Enforcement.

I don't understand why you would think it odd that the DOT has enforcement....most states have MV Enforcement although many have the Troopers doing that instead of a stand alone Law Enforcement agency

Troopers, DOT Enforcement and most other agencies use either MDT's or cellphones for any sensitive traffic.

MOST dispatching is done in the clear ( although depending on the agency it might be P25)

You are not going to "discover" many frequencies that are not in the RR Database

First of all, I was making reference to several states who don't have an enforcement division of DOT as a separate state agency. In Texas, for instance, these are two separate state agencies. The diesel cops, as some call them, are a division of DPS, not DOT. I believe the same thing applies to several other states. Some don't have a separate DOT enforcement division. Yes, I am fully aware of the commercial enforcement of Troopers.

When I've visited Sioux City, I have heard distinct P25 encryption on the DOT frequencies. I might add that the sound I heard was not the sound heard when P25 transmissions are out of range, underwater sounds. No, it is not a frequent occurrence, but it has been observed by this listener.

If you are making reference to the RR being up to date and accurate, I don't agree. I've found and corrected many frequencies and talk groups over the years. There are sections of Texas where the RR DB is vey outdated and inaccurate (Gray County recently updated, someone recently corrected such).

I don't know about Iowa & the accuracy of the RR DB there.

Last edited:

IowaGuy1603

First of all, I was making reference to several states who don't have an enforcement division of DOT as a separate state agency. In Texas, for instance, these are two separate state agencies. The diesel cops, as some call them, are a division of DPS, not DOT. I believe the same thing applies to several other states. Some don't have a separate DOT enforcement division. Yes, I am fully aware of the commercial enforcement of Troopers.

When I've visited Sioux City, I have heard distinct P25 encryption on the DOT frequencies. I might add that the sound I heard was not the sound heard when P25 transmissions are out of range, underwater sounds. No, it is not a frequent occurrence, but it has been observed by this listener.

If you are making reference to the RR being up to date and accurate, I don't agree. I've found and corrected many frequencies and talk groups over the years. There are sections of Texas where the RR DB is vey outdated and inaccurate (Gray County recently updated, someone recently corrected such).

I don't know about Iowa & the accuracy of the RR DB there.

The RR database in Iowa is fairly accurate. Iowa is all that I am aware of and all that I care about..............Our listeners (myself included) are pretty good at letting the administrators know when something new comes up

DOT rarely uses encryption-----------------which is what I said in the quoted post. RARELY The DOT MVE's uses the same radio system as the DPS and as noted elsewhere---the officers don't like the encrypted channels and avoid using them much. My MVE buddy said he only goes on duty and off duty by radio anymore----(- and that is via DPS base)----------doing all other traffic by cell phone or MDT

The DOT Snowplows and maintenance trucks however do occasionally use encrypted channels since they are available to them also

Iowa has had a separate IDOT MVE division for MANY years and within the last 3 yrs there was a concerted effort to merge them with the DPS Troopers. The suits in Des Moines had great ideas (even thou line officers on both sides were unhappy with it)

That effort went tits up late last year---------and the MVE's will now remain with the DOT for the foreseeable future

Last edited:

w0fg

Until recently, the IDOT Enforcement division drove blue sedans with license plates/unit numbers starting with T, leading to them being referred to as "Smurfs" or T-cars. Recently the sedans have been replaced with white SUVs, marked similarly to the ISP squads.

IowaGuy1603

Until recently, the IDOT Enforcement division drove blue sedans with license plates/unit numbers starting with T, leading to them being referred to as "Smurfs" or T-cars. Recently the sedans have been replaced with white SUVs, marked similarly to the ISP squads.

But they still have the T license plates and they are still referred to as T-Cars by other law enforcement

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin

When I moved to Texas, I found it odd that local PD's have commercial vehicle enforcement divisions... Also the whole Marshal, and Constable setup was quite foreign to me... And I'm still not sure I know what Marshal's, and Constable's do.

Different strokes, for different folks :lol:

I liked having different people in different cars when i was driving a CMV... Made them easy to identify.

Last edited:

mws72

Premium Subscriber
When you are in Sioux City could you be receiving South Dakota? Not sure what Nebraska statewide system uses. Around Eastern Iowa I do hear troopers using 155.430 in digital and rarely in analog. Since the governor has managed to cut back on the troopers we rarely have three on duty most shifts in Davenport to Iowa City on Interstate 80. BTW he was behind the movement to get the MVE moved to DPS. He tried in the 80's and again since he came back.

BTW in Texas depending who they are affiliated with in the court system is how they are referred to Marshals with County Judges and Constables are local court servants. At least that it was explained to me many years ago.

Last edited:

tfhphoto

Premium Subscriber
For what it is worth, in the Sioux City area:

155.640 and 155.790 (IHP base and LEA) are heard often. They are analog.
155.430 (IHP car-car) is heard frequently. It is P25 clear
155.970 (Motor Vehicle Enforcement car-car) is heard sometimes. It is P25 clear.
154.920 (DCI) is heard very, very rarely. Last I heard it, it was mixed mode, P25 clear and analog. In years past, it was rolling code encrypted analog.
151.340 (MVE) is heard very, very, very rarely. It is P25 clear. I have it listed as DOT MVE Plymouth (County). It has, at times, carried what I assumed to be MDT traffic.
Regular DOT maintenance shops are heard in P25 clear.

There is one Nebraska police department in near Sioux City that is licensed for 159.120, which is also listed as a IDOT shop frequency. The PD transmits in analog EXCEPT for when they "go secure" which is P25 encrypted.

Perhaps that is the confusion?

Status
Not open for further replies.