Iowa scaner law

Status
Not open for further replies.

Middleville

Can anybody tell me if it's legal to use a scanner while driving a vehicle in Iowa?(I don't have a Ham license)
Thanks

Signal3and2

Premium Subscriber
Yes, it is. So long as you are not using it to aid in the commission of a crime, which I assume you probably won't be doing :D

Otherwise, perfectly legal.

mikeydcg2003

I do it every day. My job requires me to drive a lot around town and i have always have my scanner with me! Very nice tool when the traffic reports aren't on in the afternoon till 4.

timkilbride

Database Admin
If your driving around and get pulled over with a scanner it helps to have a ham radio license. It seems to me if you can provide proof why you have the scanner, they don't hassle with ya. Just a couple weeks ago I went busting through Clare, Iowa at 45 in a 25. Law Enforcement was at the RR crossing. Pulls me over, first question, what are the radios for? I'm a ham radio operator and work for the railroad. Second question, where you headed to? Um, Newton, Iowa to work. I don't think he believed, but I was off with a verbal. (I think he was looking for a OWI that night/early morning)

Middleville

Thanks everybody for your responses to my question about whether scanners are legal to use in a vehicle. sounds like i should be ok while visiting in Iowa next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.