Iowa Statewide Interoperability Communication System (ISICS)

MidwestRadioListener

Premium Subscriber
Yes a few weeks ago there was some training I heard on the Westcom cell with ISP radio call signs. Until there is some level of acceptance of the system I can't imagine that agencies are cutting over to it. Obviously local communities who have built their own additions such as Dallas, Westcom and Woodbury probably are tested and accepted different than the State sites.

Bandit52240

Premium Subscriber
Can someone tell me how they are numbering the talkgroups? Example, I know on the Sara network they are useing the county number first but I am not seeing that on the statewide system. Or is there a site I can read and will help me.

timkilbride

Database Admin
Can someone tell me how they are numbering the talkgroups? Example, I know on the Sara network they are useing the county number first but I am not seeing that on the statewide system. Or is there a site I can read and will help me.

To clarify, Linn and Johnson are the only counties that start with county number. Marshall, Black Hawk, Iowa, Grundy, and Jasper have the county number in digit place 2 and 3. Polk county uses the same numbering scheme as they did on EDACS.

ISICS TG's won't be as easy to identify by just looking at the TG.

Tim

tfhphoto

Premium Subscriber
Phase 2 capable? Yes. Although there is a fair amount of traffic on the Woodbury simulcast sites that is still Phase 1 because some agencies are using legacy radios from the existing county system. That may also be the case for the Westcom sites. I believe all new subscriber radios on the system have be phase 2 capable.

MidwestRadioListener

Premium Subscriber
There are some P1 radios on the Westcom and Story sites now but as tfhphoto says that new radios coming on are supposed to be P2 and eventually all P2 when legacy stuff gets replaced.

WillB

I'm in S.E. corner of the state so unless you get up in Johnson co no one down here is on 700/800 mhz yet.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

dwood6

Rtl-Sdr and ISICS

Anyone using a rtl-sdr to monitor ISICS?

Randy

Yes, I use an rtl-sdr V3 and op25 to monitor ISICS occasionally. It works very well on the Westcom site. Op25 is the only software that will decode Phase2 with an rtl-sdr dongle. It used to be VERY difficult to get running, but the install has now been made very easy with very little linux knowledge. I have it installed on a first edition Microsoft Surface running Ubuntu.

I mostly use my Unication G5 when roaming around, but op25 will log talkgroups, so I leave it running from time to time for that. I must say it sounds as good as the G5 and there is little or no difference between the two as far as what they catch.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
Unidentified talk groups should he added to the wiki, not posted in the forum.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

WB0VHB

Yes, I use an rtl-sdr V3 and op25 to monitor ISICS occasionally. It works very well on the Westcom site. s good as the G5 and there is little or no difference between the two as far as what they catch.

Thanks for the reply. Installing op25 on a RPi this weekend.
I'm seeing several strong data carriers in my area, 3 channels in different clusters. Does each tower use more than one control channel?

WB0VHB

Wondering if anyone can confirm Burlington (Des Moines County) control channel is 774.34425?

I am hearing Louisa and Lee on the control freqs listed in the database. However I have an unlisted 3rd control channel slightly stronger than Louisa or Lee so I'm assuming it's Burlington.