Iowa Statewide Interoperability Communication System (ISICS)

mws72

Premium Subscriber
Interesting, to say the least. I maybe don't know how this works then. I was under the impression that the screen I was looking at was giving me the frequencies in use on that particular tower, not neighbor sites. Even then, there's another site between Sanborn and Sioux City -- Le Mars. Not really sure now what I was looking at.

I am not familiar with the discovery mode for the HP. Could it be showing neighboring control channels? I use unitrunker and depending which screen you look at, it with show all the known channels in the network or another it shows the peer sites with the control sites, Then the main screen just shows the channels for the site with the traffic that is going out over that site.

ISW376

Regarding DPS Communications.
First:
Troopers will no longer be contacting dispatch using tower names (Brooklyn, Maquoketa)
They will now be using the COMM Center Name with in each District "Area"
Area A Des Moines
Area B Denison
Area C Cedar Falls
Area D Cedar Rapids

This explains while during the trial phase you are only hearing troopers call a certain Office/Post.

Second:
The Area Talk groups are not just utilized by ISP
DNR Enforcement Officers "C" Units
Motor Vehicle Enforcement officers "T" Units
Will utilize IDPS LAW and IDPS TAC Talk groups.

The Talk Group Category Names in the DB may need to be changed from ISP to IDPS Area "A,B,C,D"
As any Agency that falls under the DPS Umbrella will utilize these talk groups.

Its unclear as to whether or not in the future if each division will share the Same LAW TG (Every one on IDPS LAW 2D)
or if a TG will be assigned to each DPS Dept.
Example:
ISP/T UNITS- IDPS LAW 2D
DNR- IDPS LAW 3D
DCI- IDPS LAW 4D
Fire Marshal- IDPS LAW 5D

DNR in the future may have their own Talk Groups only time will tell but since they are sworn state officers and have full Law enforcement powers it makes since.

Just a heads up I DO NOT WORK FOR and AM NOT ON THE ISICSB just a PROUD SUPPORTER!

radioboy75

Premium Subscriber
I think Area B is Storm Lake, not Denison (unless there's more than one). In my area, I've been hearing TG 5105 (DPS LAW 5B) in use in the same way that the old DPS channel was used, except all traffic is on the same TG and (like you said) is calling "Storm Lake" instead of Matlock or Merrill, etc. Interestingly enough, the traffic appears to be in Phase I at this time. I do not have a Phase II scanner, yet I'm able to receive this... In addition, for now at least, it's also being simulcast on the old DPS1 fq (155.640 MHz, 167.9 PL). Not sure if that's because the Rock Rapids tower isn't up yet, or if they're simulcasting on all towers.

tfhphoto

Premium Subscriber
@radioboy75 No VHF simulcast noted down here in Sioux City. I am still hearing the traffic over their UHF vehicle repeater frequency - which strikes me as odd since I'm not noting VHF traffic. Phase I here too.

radioboy75

Premium Subscriber
So, it sounds like the switchover is all but complete. I figured the VHF simulcast was for the Rock Rapids' tower's benefit, so that makes since that it's not simulcast down there. Strange to hear traffic from all of the old repeaters' areas, all over Matlock. ;) I take it DPS LAW 5B is the channel being used down there too? Any other new talkgroups? Also, the Storm Lake dispatcher tried LEA again, but it does not work. Guessing Matlock LEA was not patched in.

newsman04

Still using Albia base/LEA heavily down here. I haven't heard them on the new system hardly at all.

EDIT: Listened to recordings. Base traffic is still all license plates, normal duty stuff, etc. and dispatch was addressed as "Albia."

tfhphoto

Premium Subscriber
So, it sounds like the switchover is all but complete. I figured the VHF simulcast was for the Rock Rapids' tower's benefit, so that makes since that it's not simulcast down there. Strange to hear traffic from all of the old repeaters' areas, all over Matlock. ;) I take it DPS LAW 5B is the channel being used down there too? Any other new talkgroups? Also, the Storm Lake dispatcher tried LEA again, but it does not work. Guessing Matlock LEA was not patched in.

I heard an officer reporting to Storm Lake that he tried to reach Sioux County on LEA for a locals check with no luck. Also Law 5B here.

ISW376

I think Area B is Storm Lake, not Denison (unless there's more than one). In my area, I've been hearing TG 5105 (DPS LAW 5B) in use in the same way that the old DPS channel was used, except all traffic is on the same TG and (like you said) is calling "Storm Lake" instead of Matlock or Merrill, etc. Interestingly enough, the traffic appears to be in Phase I at this time. I do not have a Phase II scanner, yet I'm able to receive this... In addition, for now at least, it's also being simulcast on the old DPS1 fq (155.640 MHz, 167.9 PL). Not sure if that's because the Rock Rapids tower isn't up yet, or if they're simulcasting on all towers.

You are correct I read the Maps wrong Denison is a repeater site.
Yes Storm lake is the COMM Center for Area B

At the Last Board meeting only 4 COMM Center were mentioned Regarding to Training Troopers About the New ISICS System but IDPS has 6.

Area A Des Moines
Area B Storm Lake & Atlantic
Area C Cedar Falls
Area D Cedar Rapids & Fairfield

IDPS might be Downsizing to only 4 COMM Centers once ISICS is Live?

radioboy75

Premium Subscriber

At the Last Board meeting only 4 COMM Center were mentioned Regarding to Training Troopers About the New ISICS System but IDPS has 6.

Area A Des Moines
Area C Cedar Falls

Wouldn't be surprising. Granted, we have a much bigger population than South Dakota does, but ALL of their Highway Patrol dispatchers are in Pierre.

ISW376

Possible State Wide IDPS Talk group?

TGID 1 Troopers can heard on the Talk group.
So far Conversations have been regarding a trooper calling for a TI or traffic Inspector or calling for a K9 Unit.
Or Trooper Assisting A trooper about who to Contact to get someone they need to a Scene or for information.
I have yet to hear a Channel Name.

TGID 3202 Encrypted Phase 2 Has UID's in the 18000's Very Active on the Johnson / Linn site.

N0ZJT

Database Admin

Area A Des Moines
Area C Cedar Falls

According to information found online, Atlantic closed in the fall of 2017 and Fairfield closed in the fall of 2015.

tfhphoto

Premium Subscriber
I just noticed it today, but ISP's UHF vehicle repeater (458.625) is now P25 (Phase I) - at least in Sioux City. It was repeating Law 5B. Was using an older receiver, so I don't have the NAC.

autovon

Ø
The 155.655 repeaters in the SW part of the state (district 3B) have been patched with LAW 3B (5103) for the past day. They were occasionally using LAW 2B in the months previous, so 3B is something new.

I did just hear some standalone traffic on the VHF repeater, so not a complete simulcast I guess.

mws72

Premium Subscriber
Friday I never received any indications of transmissions on the Muscatine/Scott County Simulcast site. Well they were using it Saturday afternoon. 100 recorded audio files. But today so far nothing. It's either feast or famine. Also had a short transmission on the 4227 for Aircare. but more been have on the RACOM TG.
DPS Call 1, 3 hits
LAW 3D, 83 hits
LAW 4D, 6 hits

Also have a wildcard which show a TG 1 entered and it has 7 hits. a couple was unit 372 calling Cedar Falls for a radio check (no joy).

Dockjockey53

Premium Subscriber
Friday, yesterday, and today I've been picking DPS LAW 3B down here in Farragut. It appears all troopers in SW and West Iowa are using this TG to communicate with Storm Lake in Area B. Been picking up off of Sidney Tower on which I also monitor Page County and between the two, my little scanner is really busy. Might have to set priority channels so I don't miss local calls. This new system is starting to become exciting!

radioboy75

Premium Subscriber
Yep, I also heard DPS 3B off the Sanborn tower up in NW Iowa. This is in addition to DPS 5B, which they have been using for a while. Didn't hear the location of any traffic on 3B, but I assume it was a different area (guessing SW Iowa from what others have said here.)

raruzicka

I noticed on the Cedar Rapids site activity that is not part of the trunked system on 769.91875. could this be a MDT channel. Never any voice. I see it using my SDR and DSDPlus. Has NAC 4CD.

bkramm

769.91875 is listed on site 13 Linn/Johnson Simulcast.
Not much traffic on the Cedar Rapids site the last few days.
Seem to be on it for a few days then back to VHF.