Iowa Statewide Interoperability Communication System (ISICS)

bkramm

AirCare (TG4227) has left RACOM, last known usage was Sunday at 1245pm. Heard them on ISICS monday night.
RIDs I saw were 1500009 for Aircom and AC1 was 1500011. If I got the middle zeros right. :)
Missing 1 zero in each UID. AC2 is 15000012 and AC3 is 15000013 Air Comm is 15000009.
Portables above and below those UID's

owenmcc1

Feed Provider
I was hearing it on IA TAC 6, they patched in the local LEA channel, but responding troopers said they were struggling to hear non-state troopers (I assume the outside agencies were using the LEA channel).
Likely due to the fact that Scott County runs a patch of it's own on EDACS

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

kc0unh

I was hearing it on IA TAC 6, they patched in the local LEA channel, but responding troopers said they were struggling to hear non-state troopers (I assume the outside agencies were using the LEA channel).
Do you know if the IA TAC 6 and LEA were transmitting/receiving from the same tower site?? I feel like the LEA signal from the Van Wert tower has diminished since the co-location of 700. Just a thought!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

newsman04

Do you know if the IA TAC 6 and LEA were transmitting/receiving from the same tower site?? I feel like the LEA signal from the Van Wert tower has diminished since the co-location of 700. Just a thought!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
I do not, I was listening on TAC 6 from the Centerville site. Why it was on that tower I dunno but it was lol. I just know early on a dispatcher said the TAC channel was patched into LEA.

Regarding the diminished signal possibility, I have noted the strength of Albia LEA and Base SEEM to be a lot weaker than they were and I believe ISICS went on the same tower as they had those on. May be something to it but that’s over my head.

Last edited:

MCWKen

ISP in District 8 was on Law3C, but in the past few days, has been using Law2C exclusively (after checking the logs, nothing on Law3C in the last two days). There is one or two cars left on VHF.

Now I have a question for the group. In the area, I have 3 700mhz towers, Mason City, Northwood, and Joice to be specific. Who or what decided when for example, what tower Worth County would be on? In monitoring, at times, all traffic can be heard on Mason City, then for some reason, they disappear, but are still on Joice and Northwood. Since I use OP25, one can only monitor one tower at a time.

So, is there a voting system at work, or does the dispatcher at the console decide what tower is chosen?

newsman04

Lot of traffic off Centerville tower today on TG 52200. Sounds like patient transfers of some kind maybe. Mentioned metro south side, West Lakes. On same talkgroup someone asked for radio checks as a unit was in Ottumwa, Oskaloosa and Eddyville. Did not catch unit numbers, they were using names, and didnt catch radio IDs.

Also, unrelated note, Osceola post has been using 4A for a week or so instead of 5A. Dispatcher indicated a problem with that talkgroup, they switched all units and havent switched back. So not sure if that will become their new home or not.

radioboy75

Premium Subscriber
Also hearing TG 52200 way up here on the Sanborn tower. I'm guessing it's probably one of the medical helicopters. Heard talk of Iowa Lutheran Hospital and a hospital in Knoxville (both REALLY far from my area -- like nearly 200 miles away -- so that's why I think it's a helo. Plus when I could receive Racom towers, they seemed to be on every tower.)

MidwestRadioListener

Premium Subscriber
LEA and BASE are not on the same ISICS towers in most cases. There are a few around that have them on the same but that is not the normal. Springbrook as an example is super full with microwave, ISICS, base and lea. Newsman04 you mention Albia, the old tower is North of town and not the same as the new ISICS Albia site.

I also heard a bunch of Air Methods traffic Saturday night. My guess is that they have different RIDs depending on which radio operator at Aircom is talking so that is not one RID for the whole Aircom facility similar to which operator position at the State patrol dispatch centers.

MCWKen

Have a look through this page, specifically the Affiliation section.
https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Trunking_Basics

I did read that page, twice. I also considered that certain units were on-duty in a sector for a shift, and then once off-duty and there was no other unit in the area the rest of the day. However, that seems not to be the case.

I will go back to my example of Wright County (TG 64801), most days, during first shift, I can hear them on the Mason City tower (site 65). However, they quite abruptly disappear at about 1400, and never show up til after 0800 according to my logs. Again I say most days. True, it might be Affiliation, but not that regular, or over that geographic distance from their normal jurisdictions. Wright County is about 30 to 60 miles away from Mason City. Not all radios have that kind of range on 700 mhz, even if a mobile unit (versus handheld).

Same goes for ISP. While most of the traffic in a large geographic area around here has been using 2C (TG 5202), there are some using 5C (TG 5205) who are a very far distance away from the Mason City tower (one such case was a car in Decorah). Traffic on 5C has also been a regular occurrence on the Mason City tower, but only on the day shift.

At this point, let me set a few basic assumptions. First, using OP25 allows me to see, as they are talking, who is talking. For example, if ISP 150 is transmitting, it shows 11150 on the screen. If the dispatching desk for that District (Cedar Falls) is talking, I see 10978. Also on that line, it shows the current talk group, the frequency, and what slot on that frequency that is being used (slot 1 or slot 0). All that data is being translated from the Control Channel I assume.

All this is why I question if a particular dispatching center or desk, has the option to call up more than one tower at a time from his or her console (as could be done on the old Avtech) in addition to any Affiliation by cars which goes on.

MCWKen

Let me also add to my example of Wright County. They have more than one talk group, and when it is active on the Mason City tower, all talk groups for that County are heard.

mws72

Premium Subscriber
I am making a system file for a BCD325P2 for the Iowa State Fair that will only have the State Fair and selected other tgs. I am not sure about which site or two sites to have for this. Any ideas?

MidwestRadioListener

Premium Subscriber
It seems like the State fair police are using racom here as I hear them talking to the Polk Co Dispatchers. I'm not sure whether they will switch over to ISICS since the troopers are in charge during fair times and maybe they will use a region 1 tac or maybe they are alowed on the DPS TAC talkgroups. The troopers at the fair last year were all on ISICS but I don't remember which talkgroups. I would guess it would be one of the Area A TAC.

wn0r

I came across some interesting ISICS info today.
Looking at the statewide ISICS license WPTZ782 I found a few attachments to the license that might help locate some of the unknown sites.
These were received by the FCC on 04/17/2019 so they are fairly recent.

This is the link to a map of Iowa that has the ISICS towers. This map can be zoomed in to better locate sites.
https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsEntry/...tachmentKey=20586502&attachmentInd=applAttach

The next link is to a list of sites that are part of ISICS and gives precise location details of each antenna/tower.
https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsEntry/...tachmentKey=20586484&attachmentInd=applAttach

autovon

Ø
With RAGBRAI going on this week, it may be a good time to see how the various counties use the new system. Today out west, traffic was on IA TAC6 and then moved to DPS TAC 9B. During the start, there was patching with Council Bluff/Pott county on there. It sounds like there is patching with the Iowa Channel happening for the surrounding counties using VHF as my county sent some cars up to Atlantic.

newsman04

With RAGBRAI going on this week, it may be a good time to see how the various counties use the new system. Today out west, traffic was on IA TAC6 and then moved to DPS TAC 9B. During the start, there was patching with Council Bluff/Pott county on there. It sounds like there is patching with the Iowa Channel happening for the surrounding counties using VHF as my county sent some cars up to Atlantic.
A week or two ago I heard them doing comms tests with various counties/entities along the route on IA TAC 6.

littona

Super Freq
Premium Subscriber
Missing 1 zero in each UID. AC2 is 15000012 and AC3 is 15000013 Air Comm is 15000009.
Portables above and below those UID's

AirCare should all be on the Air Methods East talkgroup (4227):
Iowa City (AC1) is 15000011
Waterloo (AC2) is 15000012
Dubuque (AC3) is 15000013

These guys should all be on the Air Methods West talkgroup (4228):
Omaha (LN1-1) is 15000020
Norfolk (LN1-2) is 15000021
Fremont (LN2-3) is 15000022
Clarinda (LN2-3) is 15000023

Clarinda is the primary user of this talkgroup, but the Nebraska aircraft may use it if the fly into Iowa.

Any other ID's are either portable radios for the crews or the control stations used by AirCom. (15000000-15000069)

Air Methods Central talkgroup (4229) may be getting some use here in the future.

raruzicka

I hear alot of voice testing on 4040/4046. Is it necessary to do testing on every TG when it is introduced in the system? And why? or are they still testing the overall ISICS system and thats what these TGs are allocated for ?

MCWKen

I hear alot of voice testing on 4040/4046. Is it necessary to do testing on every TG when it is introduced in the system? And why? or are they still testing the overall ISICS system and thats what these TGs are allocated for ?

Yesterday, they tested TG 4049 (fd1) in encrypted format, and today, in TDMA format. Both days used different radio ID's for testing (one of them today was 12186).

I believe that these tests in the 4xxx talk group range were tests being done on all towers, to ensure level audio (or something like that) as said in another post on this tread. If I remember correctly, those tests were to end today.

Last edited: