Iowa Statewide Interoperability Communication System (ISICS)

flhays

Premium Subscriber
What new system - just confirming that you're talking about the ISICS simulcast in the Des Moines Metro? In the past it was just referred to as the Westcom simulcast. If that is what you mean the data is correct in the database as site number 2. The simulcast has been live for sometime. The comments above are just mainly talking about sites being added as well as channel capacity. Seems like these additions are because of Des Moines joining the system.

You can add the additional channels and add additional talkgroups or scan for new talkgroups on your scanner depending on how it works.
[/QUO

flhays

Premium Subscriber
I have a Uniden 486 scanner. How do I add freq's or talk groups? I figured if I update the data base frequently it would pick up anything new. Not the way it works? Is the DMPD new radio system and Westcom the same system or are they sharing? I know DMPD is still simulcasting on the UHF channel for dispatch #1.

timkilbride

Database Admin
I have a Uniden 486 scanner. How do I add freq's or talk groups? I figured if I update the data base frequently it would pick up anything new. Not the way it works? Is the DMPD new radio system and Westcom the same system or are they sharing? I know DMPD is still simulcasting on the UHF channel for dispatch #1.

The automated programming updates happen on Sunday's and presumably is available first thing on Monday. If a update occurs on Tuesday, you won't receive the update until next Monday. Or you can program by hand or use third party software for instance updates.

Tim

flhays

Premium Subscriber
They have shown DMPD talkgroups in ISICS for a while. Just concerned I am not picking them up. Another thing I have observed is I see there is a Central Iowa Regional Public Safety Communication. Is that SARA renamed?

mws72

Premium Subscriber
They have shown DMPD talkgroups in ISICS for a while. Just concerned I am not picking them up. Another thing I have observed is I see there is a Central Iowa Regional Public Safety Communication. Is that SARA renamed?

I believe the "Central Iowa" became SARA in the central part of the state. I don't see it listed when I was looking at Polk County just now,

Radioman96p71

Feed Provider
The Central Iowa Regional Public Safety Communications System (Cuz initialisms are fun!) was what the radio system in (surprise) central Iowa was called. Users on the Polk, Jasper and Marshall county systems could all roam around. But then they wanted to add eastern Iowa and suddenly the Central in CIRPSCS became a problem. Enter SARA, the Shared Area Radio Agreement. A nice, non-geographically-limited name that allowed the RACOM network of the EDACS days to be revitalized in the modern day. The name switch was a while ago, but there are references to it here and there still. You can basically substitute any references to CIRPSCS on RR to SARA.

richwig

I'm being lazy here, because it's election day and I'm busy with other things, but I noticed we now have 14 channels in the RR database for the DSM/Westcom system. Am I going to be OK as long as I have the control channels programmed (which I do)? Scanners are SDS200, BC996P2, TRX-1 and 2.

radiowa

Premium Subscriber
Will DSM have any towers with frequencies or will it all be covered under the WESTCOM tower?

richwig

Three new DSM sites have been added to the Westcom system to form the DSM/Westcom Simulcast as listed in the RR datebase. It appears some additional channels have been added...there are now 14 in the system. Posts 509 through 513 discuss this in a bit of detail.

radiowa

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Rich. Does anyone know if they are currently being used to broadcast traffic?

Three new DSM sites have been added to the Westcom system to form the DSM/Westcom Simulcast as listed in the RR datebase. It appears some additional channels have been added...there are now 14 in the system. Posts 509 through 513 discuss this in a bit of detail.

richwig

Thanks Rich. Does anyone know if they are currently being used to broadcast traffic?

I've been monitoring DMPD Dispatch for weeks, so I expect all DMPD channels are in use, patched with their UHF analog counterparts. Public Works may also be active. I haven't had the chance to scan the whole system.

thatoneiowan

Feed Provider
TGID 15011 likely Adair County Sheriff, UIDs 111012 and 199991 (heard on Dallas County Simulcast site)
TGID 78897 possibly a Des Moines PD channel, they were running a traffic sting and the "middle lane" was brought up a few times so it was not ISP's sting out by Colfax today (heard on Westcom/Des Moines Simulcast site)

radiowa

Premium Subscriber
FYI - As of 1040 this morning - DMPD is fully on ISICS and has shutdown their analog radio system.

It also looks like PCSO Law Info is now encrypted along with the various PD channels like Altoona Police, Ankeny Police, etc.

Iowamike

I have a general question about des moines recent change to p25. I updated my database on sds100. I hear a lot of stuff but does not appear that I hear des moines dispatch. I listen on scanner radio app and hear dispatch just fine. What am I missing

richwig

Des Moines Fire analog scanner silent today, except for the occasional click from the repeaters responding to noise. It would appear FD has also made the jump.

KE0DRS

Looking to see if anyone has a recommendation for a good base antenna for the ISICS system. I'm located in Clay County and have a difficult time picking up the system. I monitor the Estherville Site as that is the main tower I get any decoding threshold. I've used a variety of handhelds including the Laird EXE-806, Remtronix, and a mobile Laird ABSCANC. I just haven't had great luck picking up the system with any of those.

MidwestRadioListener

Premium Subscriber
More than anything I would recommend a pretty low loss cable and get whatever antenna as high as possible. If you can outside even better or if it's in the attic as high as you can get it. The other thing is that if you have to use adapters in your cable becareful those add a fair amount of loss and at 700MHz you need to really be careful. You could try a yagi antenna pointing at the site as well but honestly I wouldn't think you would need that and if you want to hear other sites that wouldn't lend well for that.

timkilbride

Database Admin
When making submissions for ISICS sites, please verify the frequencies are actually being used. I removed 2 frequencies from the Westcom site. While FCC license will get you going the right way, they can't be relied on for submissions.

Tim

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-12-24 12.03.35.png
    Screenshot 2020-12-24 12.03.35.png
    344.1 KB · Views: 35