IP Address Look Up Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Not sure where to put this, but thought this might be a good fit.

I am experiencing a DNS problem that has me perplexed and wondering if anyone else is experiencing it and might have any suggestions.

From time to time, while surfing RR (and other sites), I will click a link for a forum message only to end up be redirected to an ebay page. Yeah, an ebay page, sometimes when I click to go to the local weather forecast on weather.com I'll be redirected to the msn.com home page.

Clearly it is an address translation issuem but not sure where it is stemming from. I have tried setting my system up to use googleDNS, and had the issue. Set up OpenDNS and still experience the issue. I've reset the cable modem and the Linksys Firewall/Router and still have this issue.

I'm kind of wondering if it is something to do with the new DNS adding IP6 support, which I guess is to be completely rolled out 5/5/2010.

Anyone else experiencing issues like this? Any remedies or ideas?

shaft

It has nothing to do with IPv6, most likely culprit is an app, tool bar, or somethings else on your local machine rerouting your queries.

In a rare case, it could be your ISP redirecting your results, some have been known to do this. Can you replicate the issue using a different machine on your local network?

kendrik578

Live Audio Administrator
Database Admin
Is it timewarner you have? i have experienced same problem. It started Saturday night but appears to be fixed today. I thought my comp or internet had gone crazy but found out it was DNS issue. My issues were sometimes a page would load and sometime it would timeout.

kendrik578

Live Audio Administrator
Database Admin
I thank i may have spoke to soon. Its not as bad as it was but its still slower than normal on loading certain pages.

mancow

Database Admin
Have you checked the host file? Then again, the fact that the problem is intermittent kind of rules that out but maybe it's worth looking at.

Drowsiness

Have you checked the host file? Then again, the fact that the problem is intermittent kind of rules that out but maybe it's worth looking at.

This.

However, if you truly believe it is a simple DNS problem, you can try shutting down your modem/router for a couple of minutes to reset their cache and also run this command from a console in Windows: "ipconfig /flushdns" (without the quotes)

I recommend a reboot after doing that just so the registry can also be refreshed. If that does not help, you may want to start looking at something on your machine intercepting your requests and get rid of it.

I see now that this post is more than a month old, sorry. If you haven't resolved this issue, I hope we can help you more.

Last edited:

mrhex

Yeah not to resurrect a dead thread, but you could have some spyware loaded, that may done something funny to your .hosts file. The hosts will override any DNS setting, or DNS requests that you get from your ISP. I ran into something similar a while, and it turned that it was a nasty piece of malware.

SCPD

QRT
Nope, it wasn't malware related. To clear it up I went and flushed the cache on the OpenDNS site. Problem solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.