• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

IP interface to LMR system

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZS6HZ

Howdy,

I am trying to find a product that will allow me to interface an LMR network with an IP network... ideally just a simple box that sits between a radio and an IP router or switch.

If I can explain my situation:

I have a simplex analogue radio system that is running perfectly well. The base station is mounted at the base of a tall mast, and gives sufficient coverage of the surrounding area on simplex.

Recently though, the office block has moved about 500m away from the mast and there is no way to lay a cable. However, there is a microwave link between the mast and the new office location because we have surveillance cameras on the mast that send back images via IP to the new office location.

I'm looking for an inexpensive way of being able to access the radio from a LAN connection of some sort in the office.

Surely this must be a relatively simple thing to achieve?

All information will be greatly appreciated.

'73 de ZS6HZ
Marc - Johannesburg

brndnstffrd

Are you looking to control the radio like to change channels and stuff or just to transmit and recieve?

ZS6HZ

Thanks for that info John. The local Raytheon representatives told me that they could supply me a solution, but at an equivalent of around $10,000 which sounded like absolute madness. Under $1000 sounds reasonable.

brndnstffrd

Radiotone makes something similar. It was an RF over IP link and I cant remember exactly what it was called but it ran somewhere in the under $200 range, although ive never used it myself so i cant really tell you too much about it.

BirkenVogt

IDA Corp makes a VOIP unit that is similar to a tone remote. At your base station you put the IP remote panel. At any location you put IP remote consoles, that look like tone or DC remotes, or even an app that runs in your computer. I have demoed one and it worked great even over the public Internet. On a LAN it should be pretty much seamless. The panel was around a grand if I recall correctly. I don't know how much the remotes are.

jeatock

Premium Subscriber
Icom VE-PG2 or VE-PG3, or JPS NXU-2, either connected to your existing RF unit.

Another option would be changing the base station to an Icom FR5000 (FR6000) and configuring it as a simplex base with IP connectivity. ROIP is internal to the new FR's.You DO NOT have to use the FR's in IDAS mode.

The Icom solution allows control (ring-in and call out) of the radio from VOIP telephones.

Last edited:

I've used the Bosch/Telex C-Soft/IP-223/IP-224. They are highly configurable. They will interface with anything that gives you audio in, audio out, and PTT. Interfaced to certain transceivers, you can remote most, if not all of the keypad and display features of the transceiver. I don't generally recommend anything, but I will this.

Status
Not open for further replies.