Ipad2 Scanner Control?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KG7AMV

Premium Subscriber
Was wondering if anyone had seen or herd of any Scanner Control Software for the Ipad would be nice to be able to control all my scanners from the Ipad.

And no serial port is not an issue and they now make a cable

Redpark - Serial Cable - C2-DB9

scannerboy01

I think that it would be nice to have scanner control for iPod or iPhone. My idea would be that you plug in a scanner control device into the scanner computer programming plug and you could program it or listen through the internet. This would be nice to listen to your scanner without having to be at your scanner. This would only be available to yourself because you would have to register your plug in and your wireless device and you wouldn't be able to share it with the world like the live audio feeds. It would sort of be like your own personnel feed. Does anyone have any questions, comments or concerns?

cpuerror

I am working on creating such an app which would integrate with FreeSCAN but it is not available to the public at this stage. However, starting next week I am going to have a lot of extra time off so we might have something by early next year.

brandon

Database Admin
You can use Splashtop. Then access via ProScan.
I also do this with HDSDR so I can control my SDR-IQ in the iPad. Works great!

KG7AMV

Premium Subscriber
Remote Desktops will not work when you dont have your laptop handy.. and the radio with you someplace..

brandon

Database Admin
Oh I thought you were wanting to control the radio remotely from the iPad. This is what I am doing.

Sorry I did not understand.

W2PMX

Would that app be compatible with GRECOM scanners?
An app written to talk to one radio won't talk to another radio. (The newer Unidens all use the same "language", so an app written for one works on all of them.)

GRE? The protocol for at least one of them is published, but GRE seems to think that remote control protocols are state secrets, so don't hold your breath unless you have the PSR-500. You have to jump through all sorts of hoops just to get GRE to talk to you (and say "no" unless you're writing a commercial app). Uniden, OTOH, publishes the protocol and has the PDF file online for public download. (And the protocol is designed to make remote control absolutely trivial. Anyone who can program a serial port can have a remote control program for the Uniden DMA scanners up and running in minutes.)

scruggsy

Premium Subscriber
How about the Android devices as well, that is the hot market right now, surpassing Apple in sales due to Apple being limited to one phone!
I would love to see freescan for the Android

W2PMX

I do have the PSR-500. So what you are saying is that if I do have the PSR-500 it is possible to have an app to control it?
Possible, yes, since the PSR-500 remote control protocol is published.

Will a program written for Uniden scanners work on the PSR-500? No. The program has to be written for the PSR-500.
How about the Android devices as well
If the Android phone has a serial port (or USB port) output, it can be done. Or it could be done through a web interface (the scanner connected to the same computer that runs the web server, or even just communicating with the website). Not trivial, but not impossible.

Last edited:

scruggsy

Premium Subscriber
my droid bionic has an HDMI out (never used it), and a mini usb port thats used primarily for charging, but can be used to move data to and from the PC........

Status
Not open for further replies.