iPhone app picks up better than Pro 106?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duramaxman

Premium Subscriber
Someone please explain why my iPhone will pick up the KSP Post 13 clear as a bell, and my $300 Pro 106 will not. I mean it will but I'm not getting everything that the app picks up. I can be very close to tower and my scanner still misses stuff. Thanks for your help...

safetyobc

The provider of the feed may be closer to the transmitting tower than you are. Or have a better antenna or any combination of things.

The app is just streaming data from the internet that is provided by the feed provider.

unitcharlie

a Kentucky DB Admin...
Premium Subscriber
Not knowing the specifics, your location, freqs attempted, etc... I'll hazard a quick answer. Not knowing where you are relative to the tower(s) you are trying to monitor, I can't actually say why you aren't hearing KSP well... The best thing to do is load ALL KSP freqs into your scanner; that done, if you want to cut down on the number of objects scanned, then keep the two or three with the best signal. Personally, I have most of the freqs for the three posts I monitor loaded because sometimes they just don't work as advertised.... regarding the iFone's reception versus your scanner: the person providing the feed obviously has chosen the freq or freqs that come in best for the location of the scanner providing the feed... You can't compare an iFone app to a scanner because they are two different radios with different sources of signal.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Our fire department is doing a Live Feed on the Louisville MetroSafe system, suburban fire channels. We are using an actual system radio as the receiver. Given the nature of the system, scanner reception isn't the greatest due to its being a simulcast system.

So I'm hearing a better quality of sound on my IPhone than I do with a scanner. Thus if something is going on, I'll turn to the phone instead of a scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.