iPhone App Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Pretty handy! Unfortunately it doesn't seem they update the list often, as it's missing all the new RR-owned ones. And it doesn't let me add several feeds that other apps do. Plus it struggles with dropping out audio on Toledo Lucas County Ohio fire.

All minor glitches to an otherwise awesome app. I'd buy something like that for my Windows PC in a heartbeat.

Our feed recently came over to RR on the 15th of December and it's listed in the app so they do add feeds fairly quickly. The only question that I have is I wonder if it is an official app that is licensed to have the RR feeds?

If you are having audio problems, tap on the feed and it will bring up a new set of controls. You can set volume levels as well as squelch threshold. I've had to do this on a few different feeds otherwise the app will get stuck on a single feed and not scan.

N0IU

My favorites are:

For general scanning, Pocket Tunes Radio. Not only does this let you listen to feeds from Radio Reference, but you can also listen to thousands of other radio stations as well.

NormSoft : Pocket Tunes Radio Pocket Tunes Radio for iPhone and iPod Touch
Thank you for posting this! I have an iPod Touch and use last.fm and of course Pandora. They were both free and so its not like I have wasted any money, but I honestly don't see myself going back to either of these now that I have Pocket Tunes.

Action Scanner will probably be next. Who am I kidding? Probably?? Definitely!!

Last edited:

rdale

Premium Subscriber
If you are having audio problems, tap on the feed and it will bring up a new set of controls. You can set volume levels as well as squelch threshold. I've had to do this on a few different feeds otherwise the app will get stuck on a single feed and not scan.

I've tried that... If I turn it down to -52, then it keeps the audio fine, but it also stops every time with a few seconds of dead air and screws up the scanning. -51 still has audio dropouts, so something isn't tweaked perfect.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
Doh... a soft reboot fixed my audio dropout issue, so we'll pass that one off as not-a-bug after all.

However I can't get the feeds at audio.moses.bz : Streaming Media Server to work in the system, but they do work with other scanner apps. Anyone else?

rdale, which feed in particular are you having problems with? If you use Windows Live Messenger and want to talk in real time to see if we can figure out what the problem is, feel free to add me to your contact list

Last edited:

rdale

Premium Subscriber
No chat here - but feel free to email me direct.

I've tried two, with settings as follows:

Desc: Ingham Fire
County: Ingham
State: MI
URL: http://audio.moses.bz/33f911-uhf.m3u

Desc: Lansing Fire
County: Ingham
State: MI
URL: http://audio.moses.bz/519-lfd.m3u

When I start up I see "waiting for data" "reconnecting" alternate 2 or 3 times, then status turns red with "unable to connect"

rdale

Premium Subscriber
Wow - not sure how you knew that but this gets a full 5 stars now! Thanks much...

Just dumb luck, rdale. I was distracted when I was entering the feed URL and actually forgot to enter the .m3u on the first one and noticed that it was working. So I entered the second one the same way.

gonorth

Premium Subscriber
I'm really wanting this app for Windows also. Wouldn't it be awesome if RR could port it to Windows? It can't be too difficult to monitor multiple streams and cycle thru them stopping on one with activity. In Windows I use Winamp and iTunes so I can see text tags but I really like the scanning gui that Action Scanner has. I don't like having multiple instances of the same program to open and close. This really is a 'sleeper' application. A logical advancement in audio feed monitoring coming from an unlikely source, a $2 ipod app! This could launch the RR feeds to a new level of functionality if it was ported to Windows. Add alpha tags to the Windows app and allow for a 'dual vfo' so you can monitor two banks simultaneously - the only limitations being bandwidth which is minimal to begin with. Sorry if I'm ranting - I just really like the direction Action Scanner has taken.Jon

Jon - Berlin, NH

I agree with you, Jon. With the release of this app for the iPhone and iPod Touch showing that this can be done, it's probably just a matter of time before other programs jump on board.

Action Scanner leaves the other apps in the dust and since downloading it yesterday the other ways of listening seem very limited. It would almost be like being at a radio store and noticing two radios for the exact same price. One an older one that you have to turn a dial to set a frequency so you can listen to a single department. The other a PSR-500 that can scan through an almost endless number of frequencies looking for activity. Going with one of the other apps, at least for me, would be like taking home the older radio instead of the modern day scanner.

On my iPod Touch I have Scanner Radio, FStream, Scanner911, 5-0 Radio Pro, LiveATC and Pocket Tunes Radio and now Action Scanner. The only app that I see myself using other than Action Scanner now is Pocket Tunes Radio. And that wouldn't be for listening to scanner feeds but to just listen to internet radio.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
A logical advancement in audio feed monitoring coming from an unlikely source, a $2 ipod app! This could launch the RR feeds to a new level of functionality if it was ported to Windows. Add alpha tags to the Windows app and allow for a 'dual vfo' so you can monitor two banks simultaneously - the only limitations being bandwidth which is minimal to begin with.

I may start a new thread if there really is interest - but this might be something I can write for Windows. There's no way I'd be able to charge $2, but would $20 be too much? I know I should be able to duplicate the scanning feature with more feeds, and probably could do the "dual VFO" simulation - but I'm not so sure about the alpha tag.

If that seems like a good price point - PM me and I'll see what sort of interest and if enough will add you to the beta.

dropspam

5-0 Radio Pro on sale 99 cents

I would definitely recommend this 5-0 Radio Pro if you're looking for an RR iPhone app. It is a RR-licensed app (according to the description). It also has feeds from other places, like ShoutCast (music feeds) and LiveATC (airport feeds). Check out their available feeds: 5-0 Radio Available Feeds - Smartest Apple

And yes it has background mode, so you can listen to the feeds in the background.

It also supports adding feeds, and has a built-in web browser that detects .m3u and .pls links, so you can add almost any feed from the internet.

smason

I use "Action Scanner" on my iPod touch which allows you to scan through up to four feeds at a time - just like a real scanner stopping on a feed when there is audio. It has 4 banks of 4 feeds each you can program and name.

Very cool app, thanks for pointing it out!

csoguy

I have Action Scanner, Police Scanner, Police Radio, Scanner 911, Emergency Radio, 5-0 Radio, Pocket Tunes, and Wunder Radio all on my iPhone 3G. (All of them work on Edge!)

Not all apps are created equal and not all apps have the same feeds available.

Action Scanner by far in my #1 favorite!! With the ability to scan thru up to 4 different feeds at the same time...it is the closest thing to a real scanner as you can get in an app right now...and they have my Feed in there database...Love it!

5-0 Radio is my #2 favorite. Very clean interface...nice big clock telling the current time, they have my Feed in there database...and it tells how many people are listening. Its great for me being a Feed provider...I always know how many people are listening.

The rest I could take or leave...nothing special about them, some do not update their database very often at all. The only other app that I like that is well worth talking about is "Pocket Tunes" If they ever updated their database...I would Love this app. First of all it is not a Scanner feed only app...it covers all types of audio feeds. Now where this app is different and really has potential is...you can hit a button on the screen and actual record the audio you are listening to. This is a really cool feature that I use alot for music...but since they don't have my feed in there database...I hardly ever use the app for scanner listening.

The creator of Pocket Tunes mentioned to me in an email recently that they are licensed to have Radio Reference feeds in their database. However at this time they do not have an automated way to update. If you send them an email with the feed you are wanting they will update their database pretty quickly (usually within a few hours).

One thing I like about 5-0 Radio Pro is that their database updates automatically. When server 4 went toes up and the audio admins moved all of the feeds over to server 2, 5-0 radio was able to follow the change and keep people listening without any downtime.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus

csoguy

The creator of Pocket Tunes mentioned to me in an email recently that they are licensed to have Radio Reference feeds in their database. However at this time they do not have an automated way to update. If you send them an email with the feed you are wanting they will update their database pretty quickly (usually within a few hours).

One thing I like about 5-0 Radio Pro is that their database updates automatically. When server 4 went toes up and the audio admins moved all of the feeds over to server 2, 5-0 radio was able to follow the change and keep people listening without any downtime.

Thanks for the info...I will have to send them and email and request my feed be added!

avtarsingh

Premium Subscriber
tomy

i am trying out fstream looks nice

i just have to figure out how to add url etc always a challenge to figure these out )

thx

Status
Not open for further replies.