iPhone App Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

n2ss

Looking for a recommendation for an iPhone scanner feed app. I see there are quite a few and just wondering if anyone here has a suggestion. My primary interest is police and fire at my frequent travel destinations which include Phila, South Jersey, Virginia Beach, LA and NYC. Idea is to leave my scanner at home and have something less to pack! Thanks, Tony

911scanner

Skip the apps. I use Safari to go to m.radioreference.com Then I navigate to the link for the feed that I want to listen to.

Same outcome for listening, but FREE!

MM

clintbradford

iPhone / touch Apps Not Equal

There are several such applications available in the Apple App; Store. Not al are created equal, however. Sme do NOT allow you to monitor in the background - while you work on other apps on your iPhone or touch.

I have five or six of the apps installed ... guess 'll create a spreadsheet indicating the features of each of the apps.

Clint Bradford
JFK assassination research materials; K6LCS amateur radio

n2ss

So Clint, based on your experience with all of the apps that you have, which are your top 2?

clintbradford

PT Scanner (PocketTunes Scanner) allows background monitoring. Unfortunately for me, though, it doesn't have Riverside CITY PD and FD.

I like the user interface of Scanner911.

I just grabbed 5-0 Radio ... need to play more with it.

Tell me: What features in such an app are important to YOU? (And anyone else reading.) I'll create a spreadsheet and compare what have ... maybe we can make this a GogleDocs project, where ANYONE can add their input (pun intended!

n2ss

Good question. For me background listening, the ability to set up my 4 or 5 favorite feeds and to be able to easily switch between them. Airport and commercial AM/FM/SW stations would be a plus. 5-0 looks interesting but I don't see a way on their web site to check if they have feeds I want to monitor. Seems like they want you to buy it on faith!

cola

I use Scanner911. It gets most of its feeds from RR and are all neatly organized in one package. You can find feeds near you as well as save favorites. It also allows you to record streams, as is nicely skinned. And it only costs a $1.

clintbradford

>> ... background listening ...

Seems fairly important to me, too.

>> ... ability to set up my 4 or 5 favorite feeds and to be able to easily switch between them ...

"Favorites ... "

>> ... Airport ...

Haven't seen too many iPhone apps that had much in air traffic ...

>> ... commercial AM/FM/SW stations ...

Geeze - we're a litle SPOILED, aren't we? (grin)

>> ... 5-0 looks interesting but I don't see a way on their web site to check if they have feeds I want ...

SUPPORT is, indeed, something I am willing to "pay" for. I cannot imagine very many of these hobbyist programmers making a killing off of a 99-cent application.

Good points. I'll start working on this this week.

Clint
JFK assassination research materials; K6LCS amateur radio

n2ss

The problem I saw with Scanner 911 Cola is that one of my feeds of interest is Virginia Beach and each time I've looked on the web site all the VB feeds show as not available.

cola

n2ss, I just now checked the app and Virginia beach police streams are up and working. There are four police precincts and a fire available.

Last edited:

n2ss

Web site still shows offline. OK, web site listing then must be just a snapshot in time and not updated. Your app info is obviously real time, so thanks for passing that along. While I await Clint's conclusion on 5-0, I'll go spend my 99 cents on this one; you should get a commission :)

avtarsingh

Premium Subscriber
any apps that let you connect to a scannercast server.. like winamp?

a url with a port number

but for iphone?

tomynelson

any apps that let you connect to a scannercast server.. like winamp?

a url with a port number

but for iphone?

Yes.

Try FStream. It allows you to enter pretty much anything that is streaming over a URL.

From this website i've added all the feed's I want to listen to. I've also added local airports and pretty much anything I can think of. Another great feature is the app can create a website which then allows you to enter in all the url info from your PC (that is if your iphone and pc are on the same wifi network). It also can record anything your listening to.

Check out this fantastic app.

gonorth

Premium Subscriber
Action Scanner App

I use "Action Scanner" on my iPod touch which allows you to scan through up to four feeds at a time - just like a real scanner stopping on a feed when there is audio. It has 4 banks of 4 feeds each you can program and name. You scan only one bank at a time. Switching between banks is a touch and you can skip or hold on a feed. I have two feeds of my own and like the ability to monitor both - plus a couple of other feeds in my area.

teeny Software - Action Scanner

It's $2 and worth every penny.

The ability to scan through four feeds at a time in the same app is outstanding and is the best app I've found for ipod scanning. It has all of the RR feeds. I've tried Police Scanner and used Safari but they are not even in the same class as this app. Worth checking out for anyone that wants to scan through multiple feeds.

Jon - Berlin, NH

safetyobc

I agree. I purchased Action Scanner after the recommendation on here and it is AWESOME! Highly recommended. Oh and it works on EDGE as well as WiFi and 3G.

Status
Not open for further replies.