iPhone dropping stream on 3g network

Status
Not open for further replies.

hacksaw

Premium Subscriber
Just curoius if anyone else has experienced the stream quiting with no error in Wunderradio, I also use "emergency radio" app and it also drops the stream with "connecting" in the display and it never reconnects. The stream drops after about 5 minutes consistently.

This only happens when I am on the 3g network, I am not mobile. Stationary at my home. If I am on wifi things are fine.

I am using the 3gs model phone.

Anyone else?

Thanks!

kd8jhc

IMHO.....

4 million iPhones + average monthly data use of 400 MB per user per month + AT&T's network?

Do some googling, you're not the only one having problems with 3g on the iPhone. My question for you is, is this a problem you just started having, or has it never worked properly on your iPhone?

Astrak

Personally, don't buy an iPhone. Not worth the money for what it can't do. It's a pretty picture, that's about it. Anyway losing connection over WiFi shouldn't happen unless your hotspot is losing connection(might be a MAC problem).

kd8jhc

Re-read the OP, the problems happen when he is on 3G, not Wifi.

But I do agree with you Astrak, iPhone is a hype and a racket. I personally wouldn't buy ANY mobile device that doesn't have user-replaceable batteries and expandable storage.

That's why I'm on Verizon with a Blackberry. Had this phone for almost 2 years and it's rock solid, and Verizon's network is second-to-none.

hacksaw

Premium Subscriber
IMHO.....

4 million iPhones + average monthly data use of 400 MB per user per month + AT&T's network?

Do some googling, you're not the only one having problems with 3g on the iPhone. My question for you is, is this a problem you just started having, or has it never worked properly on your iPhone?

I noticed after the upgrade to the 3g I encountered the issue. My original iphone (edge) worked flawless. Thanks for the suggestion, I will do some googling! I was a little concerned with RR and feeds, Since other streams work fine.

-------------------------
I do wish to keep the iphones worth out of the picture though. This is about radioreference feeds. I would like to kindly ask we keep on topic. Thank you

Astrak

I noticed after the upgrade to the 3g I encountered the issue. My original iphone (edge) worked flawless. Thanks for the suggestion, I will do some googling! I was a little concerned with RR and feeds, Since other streams work fine.

-------------------------
I do wish to keep the iphones worth out of the picture though. This is about radioreference feeds. I would like to kindly ask we keep on topic. Thank you
It could also be that the feed provider is having connection problems, more than likely it is a problem with 3g. Most cell networks will switch ports and often while an active data connection is present, this could cause dropped streams. Or you could be in a spot with spotty 3g coverage.

hacksaw

Premium Subscriber
It could also be that the feed provider is having connection problems, more than likely it is a problem with 3g. Most cell networks will switch ports and often while an active data connection is present, this could cause dropped streams. Or you could be in a spot with spotty 3g coverage.

It must be a 3g thing. the feed provider seems solid as the feed I am listening to is my feed. :D I can listen to my feed online while the 3g will drop the stream. the stream even drops when I am sitting here at home listening to both, media player on the PC and the iphone players. Definitly related to 3g.

What I was wondering is, if the stream goes quiet and then it will drop the connection. I never had the stream drop if there is constant traffic, or activity. I should try another stream and see if it does the same!

funcritter

Have you tried setting the display to never sleep? It seems to me that the 3G signal drops the feed a few minutes after it goes to sleep.

funcritter

and Verizon's network is second-to-none.

Just wait till Verizon gets the iPhone (if they actually do). That will bring the network down quite a bit.

I think AT&T has done a pretty good job in handling the iPhone considering it's users consume more data than any other smart phone out there. Would Verizon be able to handle it? The service would suffer some I'm sure.

SCPD

QRT
Just wait till Verizon gets the iPhone (if they actually do). That will bring the network down quite a bit.

I think AT&T has done a pretty good job in handling the iPhone considering it's users consume more data than any other smart phone out there. Would Verizon be able to handle it? The service would suffer some I'm sure.

No, iPhone is exclusive to AT&T but there are phones coming out by Sprint and Verizon which will do doughnuts around the iPhone 3G. AT&T has recently admitted their 3G services needs updating. I believe AT&T is about to pump 500 million into its network in D/FW and then work its way outward. AT&T is only the large cellular carrier it is because of buying out Cingular. Cingular had the largest rural cellular system in the country and most reliable because it was vastly analog. Today, even their Mobile 3g does not have the coverage that both Sprint and Verizon have, and due to this Both carriers are coming out with new smart phones which will give the iPhone a hard run for its money.

funcritter

No, iPhone is exclusive to AT&T but there are phones coming out by Sprint and Verizon which will do doughnuts around the iPhone 3G. AT&T has recently admitted their 3G services needs updating. I believe AT&T is about to pump 500 million into its network in D/FW and then work its way outward. AT&T is only the large cellular carrier it is because of buying out Cingular. Cingular had the largest rural cellular system in the country and most reliable because it was vastly analog. Today, even their Mobile 3g does not have the coverage that both Sprint and Verizon have, and due to this Both carriers are coming out with new smart phones which will give the iPhone a hard run for its money.

AT&T has already begun improving the network. Iphone 3G was out in the summer 0f 2008. I could never get 3G in my house. The end of September, I was able to get 3G in my house AND my basement and my speed tests are right at 2MBPS.

By the way, the rumors are that this summer with the new iPhone, it will be coming to Verizon as well as AT&T which is why my post above mentions Verizon,

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
It's the network

AT&T drops 3G connections all the time with their Public Safety customers here. That has been going on for quite some time now. The network is clearly overloaded.

hacksaw

Premium Subscriber
AT&T drops 3G connections all the time with their Public Safety customers here. That has been going on for quite some time now. The network is clearly overloaded.

Thanks for the message. I guess I will ride this out and see if anything magically happens for the better. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.