iphone scanner app (opp etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Command30

A Channel in Windsor had a story about two weeks ago about this and the radar detector app. And it was said that both apps and the actual detectors and scanners were illegal. I felt like reaching through and strangling the reporter for saying scanners were illegal!!!

You mean Trapster?

Forgive my ignorance, but did police agencies not say the exact same thing about CB Radios hmm maybe 35 years ago!

joneil2000

Premium Subscriber
You mean Trapster?

Forgive my ignorance, but did police agencies not say the exact same thing about CB Radios hmm maybe 35 years ago!

The news often does not get the whole story right, but here's my take on it.

First off, a lot of iPhone apps are useless, if not down right bogus to begin with, so be carefull there.

Secondly, in Ontario, *anything* that calls itself a "radar detector" is illegal, even if it works or not. Give you an example - say you fill a bag full of sugar or flour, then you go to downtown Toronto and try to sell that bag on the street, pretending it is cocaine. If you get caught, you get the same penalty & charge as if the stuff was for real. Long bit of case law on this point, too long to get into right now.

Now here's the thing - say this iPhone app called itself "list of known radar traps" - that's different, that, IMO, would be legal. An example of this is the book you buy called "Traveling the I-75" - or something to that effect. It lists all known radar traps, and it is legal to buy, own and use on both sides of the border.

But the "semantics' of the issue is the use of the term "radar detector." Heck, if you made a bunch of "witching sticks" - the things some people use to find water for digging wells - well, if you had a pile fo them, and at some flea market, you called them "radar detectors", you could get busted. Even if you were hauled in front of a judge and you siad your radar detector worked only on witchcraft , you'd likely be in for a legal fight.

Don't shoot me, I'm just the messenger, and I agree, the law can be an ass, but there you go
joe

Infinitig37x

trapster rely s on user imputs off known speed traps i have it and dont use it lol it still says theres one at the end of my street thats not there lol its kinda a not worth a crap app.

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
Likewise with the app as well. It couldn't possibly be considered illegal.

A Channel in Windsor had a story about two weeks ago about this and the radar detector app. And it was said that both apps and the actual detectors and scanners were illegal. I felt like reaching through and strangling the reporter for saying scanners were illegal!!!

FoeHammer

Premium Subscriber
Yeah you guys feel its great but all this does is push the authorities to further go encrypted and this WILL put another nail in the coffin for scanning.
I HOPE they arent just using the feeds that are on here! :< Legalities?
If so IMO we would then be contributing to them encrypting!
The powers that be on RR should look at these apps or have they already?

I would agree , just how would your agency feel once you start realizing its getting popular & everyone is
running around listing to all your comms on their cellphone , they way they think these days , its going to end off in more encryption,...they start seeing this so often , it comes time for a radio upgrade ,...guess what they are gonna do...putting it out there in their face prob isnt a good idea , sometimes its best to keep a low profile & not draw attention. Everyday you come here you read of another area going enc , how much of a reason would you think they need? I dont really think this would contribute to the hobby much.

Stogolosu

Scanner app for iphone

Does anyone know if there is a scanner app for the iPhone that has
A Toronto police service feed. Scanner911 no longer has a Toronto feed.

Status
Not open for further replies.