IPNF 2020 update - Idaho Panhandle

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
per 2020 info from Kootenai NF - both 172.40 R and 169.925 R have PL 107.2 on the output now

IPNF = Idaho Panhandle National Forest (which is shown as 3 different Forests in the RRDB - and also has freqs listed under Coeur D'Alene Interagency Dispatch Center)

es93546

Premium Subscriber
East of the Sierra Crest-Right Side on Map of CA
The Apache-Sitgreaves NF in Arizona was listed as two different forests in the database until recently. When two national forests are combined they only have one Forest Supervisor's Office, one fire management officer, one recreation staff officer, etc. and in most cases only have one dispatch center for the two forests. They often have one forest net, although in the case of the Apache Sitgreaves they have a west net (covers the old Sitgreaves NF) and an east net (covers the portion of the Apache NF located in Arizona). The New Mexico portion of the Apache NF is administered by the Gila NF. Combined forests have one website and in most cases one forest visitor map. All the information about the forest is listed as the combination of the forests, not the separately established national forests. The 3 forests of the Idaho Panhandle National Forests have been combined for a very long time at about the same time the Apache Sitgreaves was combined, 1973. The St. Joe NF is small enough that it consists of just one ranger district, same with the Coeur d' Alene National Forest. The Idaho portion of the Kaniksu NF is administered as part of the Idaho Panhandle NF, but the Washington portion of that forest is administered by the Coleville NF in northeastern Washington in another region of the USFS, Region 6, the Pacific Northwest Region. The Montana portion of the Kaniksu NF is administered by the Kootenai NF. The RR database is in error when it lists the entire Kaniksu as being administered by the Idaho Panhandle National Forest.

I had difficulty with the database administrators when I was a member from 2002-2016. A RR member friend of mine managed to finally get the Apache-Sitgreaves to be listed as one national forest. The Idaho Panhandle NF website barely mentions the existence of the 3 national forests, it just discusses its ranger districts. The RR database should follow the agencies lead on this. I might try again, now that I have rejoined and try to get some of these database problems cleaned up. Wish me luck!