Iredell County - Mount Mourne Fire Dept

Status
Not open for further replies.

RF-Burns

I am moving to Mooresville with my family in June. I have been a firefighter/EMT in NYS for 15 years.

I am looking for the Pager Tones for Mount Mouren Fire Dept, does anyone have them?

Also, does Iredell County use Pocsag Paging? If so, does anyone have the frequency and Cap Code for Mount Mouren?

Thanks,

Motoman55

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
I cannot help with tone or cap code information for Iredell County, but the correct spelling for the department you're researching is "Mount Mourne."

Besides calls in Iredell County, they used to be (and might still be) paged on some structure fire calls in Davidson (Mecklenberg County) ... particularly at Davidson College.

RF-Burns

Thanks for the reply. I have never been the best speller.

I did stop at the fire house when we down looking at homes a few months ago, and thats what a couple of the guys said that they run a lot of mutual aid into Meck.

I cannot help with tone or cap code information for Iredell County, but the correct spelling for the department you're researching is "Mount Mourne."

Besides calls in Iredell County, they used to be (and might still be) paged on some structure fire calls in Davidson (Mecklenberg County) ... particularly at Davidson College.

yardbird

Premium Subscriber
The last time I programmed a pager for a former Mooresville Rescue member

Iredell County was using Motorola Quick-Call Series A tone reeds.

Davidson Fire & Cornelius Fire use Motorola Reed Group 6 tones.

Also Mt. Mourne has a private channel that is also listed in the data base.

And Mt. Mourne is still toned out on the Mecklenburg Fire frequency (156.165 Mhz.) for calls in Davidson.

They also have to capability to access the Mecklenburg Fire Ops Channels on the 800 Mhz. system as

well.

Mt. Mourne also has the capability to use the Mooresville 800 Mhz. too.

Mt. Mourne being so far away from the Iredell County Dispatch Center that when the tones are activated from Iredell E-Com they are in turn set

off again from there base for better pager activations.

I have been sitting at work with my new Uniden Scanner trying to decode the Mt. Mourne tones on the Mecklenburg Fire side, but haven't

managed to catch them yet.

Hope this helps

David

Last edited:

RF-Burns

David Thank you for the reply.

If Mecklenburg County Dispatches Mt. Mourne for calls into Davidson, I assume the dispatcher at Mt. Mourne Re-Disptaches it on Iredell Counties Dispatch Frequency 154.385?

Also, I have programmed an XTS3000 for Mooresville and Statesville Trunking System. I would like to add Mecklenburg's Trunking System to my radio. Which System do they currently use the Analog or Digital System?

Lastly, does Iredell use Pocsag Paging, if so do you know the frequency?

Thanks,

Motoman55

(If you do find the tone set for Mt. Mourne please pass it along)

The last time I programmed a pager for a former Mooresville Rescue member

Iredell County was using Motorola Quick-Call Series A tone reeds.

Davidson Fire & Cornelius Fire use Motorola Reed Group 6 tones.

Also Mt. Mourne has a private channel that is also listed in the data base.

And Mt. Mourne is still toned out on the Mecklenburg Fire frequency (156.165 Mhz.) for calls in Davidson.

They also have to capability to access the Mecklenburg Fire Ops Channels on the 800 Mhz. system as

well.

Mt. Mourne also has the capability to use the Mooresville 800 Mhz. too.

Mt. Mourne being so far away from the Iredell County Dispatch Center that when the tones are activated from Iredell E-Com they are in turn set

off again from there base for better pager activations.

I have been sitting at work with my new Uniden Scanner trying to decode the Mt. Mourne tones on the Mecklenburg Fire side, but haven't

managed to catch them yet.

Hope this helps

David

Last edited by a moderator:

KM4WLV

David Thank you for the reply.

If Mecklenburg County Dispatches Mt. Mourne for calls into Davidson, I assume the dispatcher at Mt. Mourne Re-Disptaches it on Iredell Counties Dispatch Frequency 154.385?

Also, I have programmed an XTS3000 for Mooresville and Statesville Trunking System. I would like to add Mecklenburg's Trunking System to my radio. Which System do they currently use the Analog or Digital System?

Lastly, does Iredell use Pocsag Paging, if so do you know the frequency?

Thanks,

Motoman55

(If you do find the tone set for Mt. Mourne please pass it along)

Hey Motoman55,

Welcome to the NC forum! I live in Salisbury (Rowan County) which borders Iredell. I wouldn't brag to much about having your XTS3K programmed for those or any other trunked system unless you've had it programmed legitimately. We've got several SARP (Self Appointed Radio Police) that lurk in the corners. I won't get on a soap box about it other than saying I'd ensure ten times over that that radio won't try to affiliate with any of those systems largely for the safety of personnel who use that system everyday, not to mention your 3K becoming a brick if it/you get caught by the system admins. And I can tell you first hand that admins for both those systems watch them like a hawk when it comes to stuff like this. Enough of that, moving on.................

Once I get home tonight I'll look through my stuff because I've got all the paging info for the different departments in Iredell. The only thing I can't speak for is the POCSAG paging question. In Rowan County when we first started getting alpha pages for calls (1995-96) we used A+ Communications, but these days just about everyone I know (including myself) get those messages on my phone now as an SMS message since we use OSSI for our CAD system.

Once you get settled down this way if you need help setting up, or have questions about Rowan County give me a shout. I'll be glad to help!!

RF-Burns

Daniel,

Thank you very much for the information, expecially on my XTS. If that is frowned upon down their I will un-program it and only use it for amateur use.

Any info you would have for Mt. Maurne would be very helpful. I would like to program my Plecteon and my BC15X and my new BCD536 for the tone out feature.

Thank you again for your help!

Hey Motoman55,

Welcome to the NC forum! I live in Salisbury (Rowan County) which borders Iredell. I wouldn't brag to much about having your XTS3K programmed for those or any other trunked system unless you've had it programmed legitimately. We've got several SARP (Self Appointed Radio Police) that lurk in the corners. I won't get on a soap box about it other than saying I'd ensure ten times over that that radio won't try to affiliate with any of those systems largely for the safety of personnel who use that system everyday, not to mention your 3K becoming a brick if it/you get caught by the system admins. And I can tell you first hand that admins for both those systems watch them like a hawk when it comes to stuff like this. Enough of that, moving on.................

Once I get home tonight I'll look through my stuff because I've got all the paging info for the different departments in Iredell. The only thing I can't speak for is the POCSAG paging question. In Rowan County when we first started getting alpha pages for calls (1995-96) we used A+ Communications, but these days just about everyone I know (including myself) get those messages on my phone now as an SMS message since we use OSSI for our CAD system.

Once you get settled down this way if you need help setting up, or have questions about Rowan County give me a shout. I'll be glad to help!!

yardbird

Premium Subscriber
I am unaware of them using any type of alpha paging system.

Must agencies today have calls routed to thier smartphones and other type of electronics (i.e. MDT's,etc).

I think the only agencies in this immediate area that still uses alpha pager is Mecklenburg & Gaston Counties.

Like Daniel said, if you do have a radio programmed for those 800 Mhz. the best thing to do is get it unprogrammed and quick, because I got in trouble one time myself working with the City of Charlotte.

Word got out that I had a personal 800 Mhz. radio on the Charlotte TRS. Well at the time the Charlotte Fire Communications Director came done and thout that since I had a personal radio programmed with CFD, she automatically assumed it was there system.

Well to make this short, Chris Linker (Who is no longer with us) stepped in and told her that he programmed the City of Concord radios the same way with CFD which stands for Concord Fire. Needless to say that clear me of all wrong doing.

Also FYI, there are no current Amateur Radio frequencies in the 800 Mhz. band range. There however are Amateur Radio frequencies in the 900 Mhz. band.

As far as the Char/Meck 800 Mhz. system they are using both analog and digital for communications. I listen to my analog scanner at work and I can pickup dispatch and the Ops channels and SHP real good. I have one of the new Uniden Digital Scanner as well I will occasional turn it on and listen to Meck on the digital side too.

Charlotte/Mecklenburg has a long standing rule that NO PERSONALLY OWNED RADIOS will be allowed on there system. I have fought this battle before, when Concord/Cabarrus signed on to be apart of the Char/Meck Digital System. I lost 8 personal radios from the Concord/Cabarrus system. So needless to say I have a shop full of paperweights that are useless except for programming the National Public Safety Channels in.

So the only real way to get an 800 Mhz. radio on the Char/Meck system is to join a Mecklenburg Agency and hope they will provide you a department owned radio. I would kind of doubt that all Mt. Mourne members would be issed a radio on the Mecklenburg system. They probably have a mobile and a portable that is issued to the department with the agreement that the radio stays with the apparatus. I can't say for certain if there members are all issued 800 Mhz, radios for the Morresville System or not.

David

Last edited:

RF-Burns

Ok, I will adhere to the warnings and will deactivate my portable. Seems weird to me they won't let you use a radio simply for monitoring but if that's their policy I will live by it. No problem, I guess I will have to get use to the crappy audio of the scanner. Haha.

Yes I know there is no amateur 800 band. Looks like I will be doing some Hex Editing and VCO tuning to try and get it on 900. Oh hell I bought the radio for a hundred bucks a few years ago on ebay I will just resell it on there.

Still looking for the tone set if anyone can come up with them.

Thanks again,

Motoman55

I am unaware of them using any type of alpha paging system.

Must agencies today have calls routed to thier smartphones and other type of electronics (i.e. MDT's,etc).

I think the only agencies in this immediate area that still uses alpha pager is Mecklenburg & Gaston Counties.

Like Daniel said, if you do have a radio programmed for those 800 Mhz. the best thing to do is get it unprogrammed and quick, because I got in trouble one time myself working with the City of Charlotte.

Word got out that I had a personal 800 Mhz. radio on the Charlotte TRS. Well at the time the Charlotte Fire Communications Director came done and thout that since I had a personal radio programmed with CFD, she automatically assumed it was there system.

Well to make this short, Chris Linker (Who is no longer with us) stepped in and told her that he programmed the City of Concord radios the same way with CFD which stands for Concord Fire. Needless to say that clear me of all wrong doing.

Also FYI, there are no current Amateur Radio frequencies in the 800 Mhz. band range. There however are Amateur Radio frequencies in the 900 Mhz. band.

As far as the Char/Meck 800 Mhz. system they are using both analog and digital for communications. I listen to my analog scanner at work and I can pickup dispatch and the Ops channels and SHP real good. I have one of the new Uniden Digital Scanner as well I will occasional turn it on and listen to Meck on the digital side too.

Charlotte/Mecklenburg has a long standing rule that NO PERSONALLY OWNED RADIOS will be allowed on there system. I have fought this battle before, when Concord/Cabarrus signed on to be apart of the Char/Meck Digital System. I lost 8 personal radios from the Concord/Cabarrus system. So needless to say I have a shop full of paperweights that are useless except for programming the National Public Safety Channels in.

So the only real way to get an 800 Mhz. radio on the Char/Meck system is to join a Mecklenburg Agency and hope they will provide you a department owned radio. I would kind of doubt that all Mt. Mourne members would be issed a radio on the Mecklenburg system. They probably have a mobile and a portable that is issued to the department with the agreement that the radio stays with the apparatus. I can't say for certain if there members are all issued 800 Mhz, radios for the Morresville System or not.

David

KM4WLV

On the note of Alpha Paging, Mecklenburg County (Charlotte) owns / runs their own paging system and it's used by Mecklenburg County FD (volunteer departments, doesn't include any City of Charlotte personnel). If you are interested in that the information for it is in the North Carolina database on the Mecklenburg County page. It's freq is 462.9250 and 5bps POCSAG.

KM4WLV

Charlotte/Mecklenburg has a long standing rule that NO PERSONALLY OWNED RADIOS will be allowed on there system.

That's one of the other things I love about our system here in Rowan County. We've always had the option to have personal radios on the system. The only catch is you could only have one radio on the system because of how they issued ID's in the "Personal Owned Radio ID Pool".

Example: When I was still active with the FD I always had a personal radio on the system. The first 2 numbers in the radios were 74 which denotes that it is a personal radio, and the last 4 numbers was you permanent department ID number. One department ID was 4733, thus my radio's ID was 744733 and the other department I was with my ID number was 5722 and when I had the new RID programmed into it was 745722.

And every radio that is on our system get's your name attached to it so when you key up the folks at 911 see your name instead of just the radio ID.

Last edited:

RF-Burns

My family and I are now settled into our new home in Mooresville. I was able to decode Mt. Mourne Fire Department Tones last night on the 4th of July as they ran many calls in the evening.

A Tone - 358.6
B Tone - 741.7

Not sure if anyone else wanted it or not.

Motoman55

yardbird

Premium Subscriber
Thanks

I will add to my list with the EMS & Rescue Paging Tones

David

Last edited:

D1029659

Does anyone know any other fire out tones for Iredell county because I have a minitor II and I don't want to get a new pager, so does anyone know of any tones?

TylerMK

Premium Subscriber
I would kind of doubt that all Mt. Mourne members would be issed a radio on the Mecklenburg system. They probably have a mobile and a portable that is issued to the department with the agreement that the radio stays with the apparatus. I can't say for certain if there members are all issued 800 Mhz, radios for the Morresville System or not.

David[/QUOTE]

Earlier this year all of the southern Iredell County fire departments switched to the UASI system. They don't have to use two radios as they now have all of the appropriate UASI talkgroups programmed in. Active 911 has replaced the alpha pagers in Mecklenburg County.

Status
Not open for further replies.