Iron Man comms in St George

Status
Not open for further replies.

kf7yn

Iron Man event underway this morning in the St George area. Here's what I'm hearing on 800 MHz in addition to the usual VHF freqs.

TG 27424 Unidentified related to the Iron Man event.

TG 30752 "Unified Command" Medical units. This is patched to or from Nat 2 851.5125 MHz. We initially Identified this TG as St George PD, not sure how this will play out when Wash Co switches to UCAN.

TG 30816 1X (Wash Co SO) and 2X (St George PD) this is a new one for me.

Junior1970

Sounds like they have a few radios at the SO. Whether they are actually using them while keeping the VHF patch on is a question within itself. I know Utah County did that because not all the agencies dispatched by them joined UCAN at the same time and St George PD dispatches for all of Washington County.
I'm heading down late Friday for a car show at Tuacahn.
Jon, what site are you hearing most of the comms on? Are you running Trunker?

kf7yn

I'm listening on Webb Hill. Toquerville is not as strong here in Washington City due to a hill.

I am not running trunker here, I keep threatening to bring a setup down and let it run. I have my PSR-500, Pro-96 and Pro-107 here. I do keep a Pro-2053 here, I could make that the tap radio. Guess I should get busy and get a trunker setup running or get Hooligan to set up trunker at his place in Hurricane.

Junior1970

That brings up a good point. It's doubtful that Toquerville would even pick up in downtown St. George (or even at Tuacahn for that matter.) But I'm not sure. I'm bringing down the 96/2096 and will plug in and see what comes up I suppose.

Hooligan

Guess I should get busy and get a trunker setup running or get Hooligan to set up trunker at his place in Hurricane.

Hello!

Ironman-related traffic was also on 151.115MHz/DCS 754 -- the Washington County Consolidated School District bus channel, as the school buses were being used to shuttle participants, volunteers & spectators. I searched GMRS, & pretty much all of 150-174, 450-512 & 850-1000MHz & didn't hear the Ironman organizers on a LMR/SMR system.

It amazes me that Washington County apparently doesn't have a common channel to use for major events like this. As Jon mentioned, some of the PD units were on the East Law channel (155.610Mhz, Hurricane & Washington City PDs), all sorts of units were on the WCSO primary, and then there were units on SGPD channels 1 & 4.

I was wondering what the deal with that 851.5125Mhz channel was. There was also some traffic of occasional interest on the Dixie Amateur Radio Club linked repeaters.

Anyway, heck yes, I need to get set up to run Trunker or whatever, especially if Washington County public safety is going to migrate up to UCAN. I can dedicate a computer to it & either hook it up to my PSR-500 or BC996XT & a high-gain 800Mhz antenna on the roof.

Junior1970

It amazes me that Washington County apparently doesn't have a common channel to use for major events like this. .

Once they migrate to UCAN they will. There are 16 Event TGs and I believe Event 8 (18656) is assigned to Washington and Iron counties. At one time, during Spring Break a year or two ago, Event 16 was patched to the UHP Virgin repeater. It was fun because I was listening to traffic stops down in Dixie while monitoring Nelson Peak (located in Salt Lake County) here in Utah County. I'm sure Washington will have some Tac or Ops channels like the rest of the counties on UCAN that can and will be used for things like this as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.