Irving is going P25 simulcast

Status
Not open for further replies.

motorola_otaku

Premium Subscriber
MissionCritical Communications, Radio Resource International, and Public Safety Report - wireless voice and data communications for mobile, remote and public safety operations

Motorola Solutions won a combined Project 25 (P25) Phase 2 and Long Term Evolution (LTE) contract in Irving, Texas, for more than $22 million. Under the contract, Motorola Solutions will also provide fiber, CAD integration, fire station alerting, microwave, dispatch consoles and data devices for public-safety vehicles in addition to the P25 and LTE equipment.

This infrastructure will provide P25 voice communications to replace the city’s existing two-way radio system. In addition, the communications system will allow broadband data access to enterprise applications, operation, monitoring and control of remote facilities and systems owned by the city in real time and a fiber-optic ring network for site connectivity. The broadband wireless network will also connect devices throughout the city’s territory for data communications, said Shane Burton, assistant IT director – infrastructure for the city of Irving.

This bit is my favorite though:
Fuerst said the city’s current 700 Harris radios will be upgraded to P25 and used on the network as well.
That is a big departure from years past when Motorola would say "we won't warranty your system if you use anyone else's radios on it." Kudos to the Irving contract negotiating team for showing some cojones.

KC5EIB

Feed Provider

BenScan

Premium Subscriber
There's been a P25 control channel up for a couple of weeks now. 857.2125 044Ah-0201 WACN BEE00

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
There's been a P25 control channel up for a couple of weeks now. 857.2125 044Ah-0201 WACN BEE00
Ben, have you seen any activity other than the control channel?

When I saw the license changed, I went ahead & added a system for Irving for my 436 & 536.

Russell

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
I saw that, too. I guess I didn't realize Irving was joining FTW's system.

Last edited:

BenScan

Premium Subscriber
If I remember and understood correctly, Irving will have a "separate switch" that will backup Fort Worth's, and Fort Worth's will backup Irving's. I caught a test transmission on decimal tg 20019 today, and have seen many other tgs on Unitrunker. Until today, I had not heard voice, but that may have been because I was using an older scanner that does do Phase 2.

Ben, have you seen any activity other than the control channel?

When I saw the license changed, I went ahead & added a system for Irving for my 436 & 536.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
If I remember and understood correctly, Irving will have a "separate switch" that will backup Fort Worth's, and Fort Worth's will backup Irving's. I caught a test transmission on decimal tg 20019 today, and have seen many other tgs on Unitrunker. Until today, I had not heard voice, but that may have been because I was using an older scanner that does do Phase 2.
Thanks Ben. I also heard that Irving & Ft Worth will back each other up. The impending change for Irving, as well as Carrollton moving to Phase II, is what made me decide to get the newer, Phase II capable, scanners.

Russell

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
So for those in range of Fort Worth with UniTrunker, is the system advertising X2 or P2 on the data channel (Channel Access on the Info tab)?

ce2576

The impending change for Irving, as well as Carrollton moving to Phase II, is what made me decide to get the newer, Phase II capable, scanners.

Before buying that new scanner you might want to wait and see what type of modulation they will be using. The Mansfield site on the FWRRS is listed as Phase II, however the modulation is CQPSK rather than TDMA. My Uniden 396T picks up the Mansfield site just fine.

At first glance of the Mansfield site, I saw Phase II and automatically assumed it was Phase II TDMA. At the time I didn't pay much attention to the type of 'modulation' they were using. I just saw Phase II and figured I would need one of the new Uniden's if I wanted to listen to Mansfield. But after reading some other posts here in the forums and doing some reading on the different types of modulation's used with P25, I went back and looked at the Mansfield site and noticed that they are utilizing CQPSK not TDMA. I have since plugged Mansfield into my 396T and as mentioned before can hear them just fine.

BenScan

Premium Subscriber
Currently showing channel access: P2 and modulation C4FM

So for those in range of Fort Worth with UniTrunker, is the system advertising X2 or P2 on the data channel (Channel Access on the Info tab)?

Russell

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
Thanks Ben. Of course, it would have to be one of P2 or X2 in order for any subsite to carry Phase II traffic. This also continues the trend that all new (non-Harris) systems in our area are going in as a version of Phase II. Terrell is currently the only local local exception.

Russell

nd5y

Good band opening this morning.
I was able to run Unitrunker on the new Irving site for a while and just submitted the site NAC and five more alternate cc and voice channels.
There were several hits on talkgroup 20210 and lots of data i-calls.
The Svc column was only showing a - for 20210 so I wasn't able to tell if it is encrypted or TDMA.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Well, while Irving is up, in 24 hours of monitoring, only 4 channels have had traffic, and they are all related to tuning-out the system, making sure station speakers are working, etc. All operational traffic is still on the old system. All voice traffic has been TDMA, and sound great on the BCD436HP, BCD536HP, etc. All I've noted, though, have been on Slot 1. I've not been noting VC freq's.

TGIDs heard: 20103 (Irving Fire Dispatch), 20110 (bunch of countdown tests), 20210 (countdown tests), and 20007 (keyup only).

I suspect that they are still weeks away from moving Irving operational traffic to the system.

Last edited:

kmartin

Premium Subscriber
irving tx public safety live feed

i have been listening to the live feed for irving tx all i hear is
the city's water dept- animal control and public works..
question- have the police and fire moved to the tarrant county
P25 system already??? i dont hear them on the broadcastify
feed!!!! 10/9/2014.... can anybody let me and also let the feed
provider know if this is the case???

Status
Not open for further replies.