Is a hotspot the same as a Dstar repeater?

KF0AWL

Hobo
I haven't found a googl answer so im asking the klno pool hihi.
I'm just getting started with Dstar and reading my manual it says I need to register with my local repeater to access the internet.
I'm thinking the manual didn't take into consideration hotspots, am I correct?
Or do I still need to register?

N1FKO

Premium Subscriber
Hotspots implement a subset of repeater features, so they aren't the same.

You need to register your callsign to use the DSTAR network, usually it's suggested that you do that at your local club/repeater organization.

KF0AWL

Hobo
Hotspots implement a subset of repeater features, so they aren't the same.

You need to register your callsign to use the DSTAR network, usually it's suggested that you do that at your local club/repeater organization.
Ok thank you.
I put a email out to the nearest club with a dstar reapeter to register with them.
So basically till I get registered my Dstar is going nowhere?

N1FKO

Premium Subscriber
Ok thank you.
I put a email out to the nearest club with a dstar reapeter to register with them.
So basically till I get registered my Dstar is going nowhere?
If the club has a web page, they may also have a link to follow to register. If all else fails you should be able to register at: D-STAR Gateway System

You can look for DSTAR repeaters in your area (and view their status and registration links) at: D-StarUsers.org

Last edited:

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
Registration is about linking your callsign to an IP address which is the transport mechanism on the internet for Callsign routing. Until that is setup you can use the repeater locally in DStar mode. The assigned IP address is not something you use directly and is selected by the registration process.