Is A Mobile CB Antenna Usable on 10 Meters

Status
Not open for further replies.

KE4PQG

Is the bandwidth on a standard CB antenna wide enough to allow it to be used on 10 Meters?

Dave

Last edited:
yes indeed, I use an old radio shack mag-mount and it loads almost to a good match.
BUT! I use a low power so not to burn out the base load coil. 25 watts or less.
just check your SWR.

good luck
Dana
SoCal

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Depends on the antenna. I've got a Larsen NMO 27 that is actually cut to something between 10 and 11 m but it tunes both without issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KE4PQG

Thanks, guys. I plan to get on 10 meters as soon as I upgrade my license to a General. I'm currently a Tech, but I've been inactive so long I've forgotten my call. I need to dig out my wallet card and get my call. I remember renewing it about 4-5 years ago, so hopefully it will still be current.

Dave

LtDoc

Is it possible? Sure. But I think I'd count on retuning it. Would it 'stretch' to cover both bands? That just depends on how well the thing is tuned. Wide bandwidth usually means a not so efficient antenna, no way around that.
- 'Doc

CommJunkie

Thanks, guys. I plan to get on 10 meters as soon as I upgrade my license to a General. I'm currently a Tech, but I've been inactive so long I've forgotten my call. I need to dig out my wallet card and get my call. I remember renewing it about 4-5 years ago, so hopefully it will still be current.

Dave

2 things.

1 - look yourself up by name here: FCC ULS

2 - As a Technician, you can operate 10 meters between 28.3 and 28.5 mhz.

SCPD

QRT
Is it possible? Sure. But I think I'd count on retuning it. Would it 'stretch' to cover both bands? That just depends on how well the thing is tuned. Wide bandwidth usually means a not so efficient antenna, no way around that.
- 'Doc

Dave,

I'm going with Docs advice about the wide bandwidth.

When you say "standard cb antenna", that introduces some important variables.

If you mean an antenna similar to, lets say, a 'lil wil" Wilson with a 3 foot whip, I'd say you can't do both bands at all without using a tuner, and that's no good.

If we're talking about a longer antenna, as others have mentioned, I'd say you can, but I don't like running the SWR above 1.5:1 no matter what.

If it was me, I'd spend a little more money and have two whips of different lengths (not two separate antennas) that could be interchanged for each band. Maybe because I'm just a "perfectionist" with the SWR thing.

k6cpo

My first HF QSO was made on ten meters using a mag mount CB antenna stuck on the top of a metal storage shed. The contact was all the way to Florida from San Diego.

SCPD

QRT
My first HF QSO was made on ten meters using a mag mount CB antenna stuck on the top of a metal storage shed. The contact was all the way to Florida from San Diego.

Nothing works better for your vertical antenna than a good ground plane!

LtDoc

There's a basic fact that you have to consider. All mobile antennas are a compromise in some way. How much 'compromise' just depends on frequency, 'looks'/'style', and ability. Even antennas for the 'giggle-hertz' ranges fall into that compromise thingy. So, just how much 'compromise' are you willing to put up with, that's the question!
Driving around with a 60 some odd foot vertical antenna for 80 meters is sort of 'extreme', right? So, shorten the thing. Making an antenna shorter than it 'should' be always means a lessening in performance. When that lessened performance isn't worth it anymore, you've gone too far. Doesn't matter how 'short' the thing is, there's a 'cut-off' point.
That still holds true for VHF/UHF/SHF antennas, but, they are 'smaller' anyway so you've got more 'lee-way', you know? (It's certainly not the only reason why VHF/UHF/etc, is more prevalent than HF mobiles, but it's -one- of the reasons.)
Now you are to the point where you get to try all of the alternatives, make all of the common 'mistakes'. Or, pay attention to what others have already found out the hard way.
It's up to you. Knock yourself out!
- 'Doc

kc4jgc

Is the bandwidth on a standard CB antenna wide enough to allow it to be used on 10 Meters?

Dave
A standard 102" CB antenna is indeed good to use for 10m without trimming. I used one mounted on the rear bumper of my Mazda pickup when I was first licensed. Any CB antenna that has a loading coil may need to be trimmed a bit, but will work for 10m as well.

KE4PQG

Thanks, guys, for all the responses. I'm not sure what I am going to do right now. I don't yet have an antenna installed. Time to think things over.

Dave
KE4PQG

Status
Not open for further replies.