Is a Pro-2021 worth using today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ModelTrainGeek

Premium Subscriber
Hi people, I found this forum doing various searches for radio, scanner frequencies and other related stuff today.

I have and old PRO-2021 this I bought many years ago when it was shiny and new. But haven't really been using it for some time now, and decided to put it to use again.. But I'm wondering how useful this old radio is today (epically in my area London, Ontario) If it's worth putting up the antenna or would I just be wasting my time?

Thanks

tonsoffun

Senior Moderator
Premium Subscriber
Hi Computer Geek,

Welcome to RR,I have moved your thread to the Eastern Canada forum. The pro's here will help you for the Ontario stuff.

roots

if you check the database you can find the frequency that are conventional. It's the only thing you can listen too with that scanner.

For example, in my city I still use a PRO-2020 for all conventional!!!

hope that's help!

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Hi people, I found this forum doing various searches for radio, scanner frequencies and other related stuff today.

I have and old PRO-2021 this I bought many years ago when it was shiny and new. But haven't really been using it for some time now, and decided to put it to use again.. But I'm wondering how useful this old radio is today (epically in my area London, Ontario) If it's worth putting up the antenna or would I just be wasting my time?

Thanks

As long as it works its useful. You can pick up a variety of non-trunking services; MOH EMS pagers, the OPP Repeaters (if you are close to a highway or actual OPP unit), rail, air, hams etc. A lot of us guys still use and some collect old scanners.

That said, your local FDP, the OPP, MOH, MTO, EMS are on trunk systems, if you really wanna follow the goings-on you should think about upgrading to a trunk and digital scanner.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
It would be good for county fire, rail, air etc etc. Depends where your area of interest lies, whereabouts in the city you are, and what type of antenna you have. Never hurts to give it a go and see if anything catches your attention.

ModelTrainGeek

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the replies. It's already programed for rail channels (the only thing on it right now) but if you noticed my username that shouldn't be a surprise :)

I am fairly close to the 401 and in a 8th floor apartment. So range should be pretty good once i put up my little ground plane antenna I've had forever. I have disc cone antenna too.. but I don't want anything too obvious out on the balcony..

I check in to the digital trunking stuff.. that's all new to me..

thanks again

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
From your location you should be able to get lots of action on the Middlesex County fire channels, as well as Elgin and maybe Oxford. You should also get some decent traffic from the OPP VR's, as well as EMS VR's. Don't forget there is also St. Thomas PD, FD and UWO PD (CCPS).

ModelTrainGeek

Premium Subscriber
I just finished hooking up my old ground plane (mounted above my satellite dish)

I still have only rail freqs programmed in for now, but they are a lot clearer now. I've removed the built in antenna since it's pointless now.

I'll have to study up about what out there now.. Maybe I should pick up one of the shortwave type magazines or other radio mags. After a couple googles, I found there's now radio that have computer control options.. which could be fun for me. I found a shortwave that was a computer card and completely software operated that looks amazing. But in the short run.. I may get one of those cheap sw's from china on ebay..

I'm sure I'll be posting more before too long.

Status
Not open for further replies.