Is a scanner worth the investment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (BREW; Opera Mini/6.0.3/27.2339; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 320X240 LG VN530)

KG7DOT, firefighters who use the RWC don't carry 2 seperate radios for the VHF and RWC channels. They each have one dual-band radio, which covers both VHF and 700/800 MHz. They can switch between decks (other agencies may call them banks, groups or zones), and each deck can be either VHF or 700/800 MHz.
A and B decks are VHF, K and L decks are RWC. I'm pretty sure that they have the RWC G deck interoperability talkgroups as well.
They may also have H deck (RWC encrypted interoperability talkgroups), I deck (conventional analog 800 MHz 8-Tacs/I-Tacs, and possibly a few conventional P25 700 MHz interoperability channels), and Ocean deck (also RWC interoperability talkgroups).
They may have 2 additional decks with conventional VHF analog interoperability channels, and conventional 700 MHz P25 interoperability channels.
So, anyway, your friend on the rescue will have his radio set to A deck, and his partner will have his radio set to K deck. But they carry identical radios.
And yes, a transmission on K-1 is delayed by about a second or so from the transmission on A-1. This is due to the fact that the RWC transmitter is patched into a VHF transmitter, from what I've been told, at a tower location in Scottsdale.
I've also noticed, and some of you may have as well, that when a firefighter transmits on a K-deck channel, if another firefighter's radio is within earshot, you'll hear the echo of the first firefighter coming from the second (3rd, 4th, etc) radio due to the inherent delay of the digital signal processing.

SCPD

QRT
Blame the FCC, without whom Phoenix would probably still be on VHF analog. Hopefully Phase II will be it for many years to come, at least until the Federal Government initiates Phase III (encryption mandatory on all public safety communications) which I still say is coming one day to "protect us". :roll:

-AZ

Do you mean that all federal or all state local will be required to use encryption? Or will it be both? I haven't run across discussion of Phase III. Do you have any specific sites that I can look up?

Of course there is the 2019 deadline for going even narrower with spacing cut in half from 12.5 kHz to 6.25 kHz. I understand that this deadline may be extended depending on reliable technology being developed. I think many of the new radios purchased to meet the 12.5 kHz are already capable of 6.25 kHz operation, but I may be remembering incorrectly. The PSR-500/600 will handle 6.25 and I'm sure the current crop of Uniden scanners do so.

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (BREW; Opera Mini/6.0.3/27.2339; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 320X240 LG VN530)

KG7DOT, firefighters who use the RWC don't carry 2 seperate radios for the VHF and RWC channels. They each have one dual-band radio, which covers both VHF and 700/800 MHz. They can switch between decks (other agencies may call them banks, groups or zones), and each deck can be either VHF or 700/800 MHz.
A and B decks are VHF, K and L decks are RWC. I'm pretty sure that they have the RWC G deck interoperability talkgroups as well.
They may also have H deck (RWC encrypted interoperability talkgroups), I deck (conventional analog 800 MHz 8-Tacs/I-Tacs, and possibly a few conventional P25 700 MHz interoperability channels), and Ocean deck (also RWC interoperability talkgroups).
They may have 2 additional decks with conventional VHF analog interoperability channels, and conventional 700 MHz P25 interoperability channels.
So, anyway, your friend on the rescue will have his radio set to A deck, and his partner will have his radio set to K deck. But they carry identical radios.
And yes, a transmission on K-1 is delayed by about a second or so from the transmission on A-1. This is due to the fact that the RWC transmitter is patched into a VHF transmitter, from what I've been told, at a tower location in Scottsdale.
I've also noticed, and some of you may have as well, that when a firefighter transmits on a K-deck channel, if another firefighter's radio is within earshot, you'll hear the echo of the first firefighter coming from the second (3rd, 4th, etc) radio due to the inherent delay of the digital signal processing.

Thanks for that correction. It's very interesting to me how all of this is now being used together. I've been scanning a long time but I'm always learning.

Ensnared

Worth It?

I have been scanning since 1976. I started out with an 8-channel Bearcat IV. Now, I use a digital scanner. Your question is best answered by looking at the number of posts within the forums specific to the hobby of scanning. You either like it or find it boring.

Over the years, I've heard a variety of different scenarios play out on the scanner. As long as there is radio traffic in the clear, I will be listening. I hope you find your center.

KB7MIB

Exsmokey, I think AZScanner was being pessimistic/cynical about what he feels the future will bring us, rather than knowing what lies ahead

LiquidPandora

Hi- was advised to post here in my state forum than the New User, as I am in AZ. I have just about every type of receiver except for a digital scanner. Here's the thing- I wonder if the several hundred dollars to put down on one would be worth the novelty. I am not in Law Enforcement or Medical, so it would be just for fun. I know about Broadcastify, I own an RTL-SDR so please don't tell me to get one (why do people tell people to get these? I have one but it is no "real" scanner its only a fun little gadget- anyway off topic)

What will I hear on a scanner? I know police (we use APCO 25 I need a digital I am aware of the brands thanks) Fire, Medical- what else? Will I hear any type of military? I know a lot of stuff is encrypted that I can never decode (long time SW monitor- don't need to dumb it down for old me)

Is there a website with Arizona scanner logs, that would totally help me out and it would be fun to read. I really don't know what else a scanner would be good for, other than police monitoring.

Someone on the New User forum said something really smart, he said he really appreciated his scanner when the power in his area went down and no one knew what was going on, but he had his scanner so he could keep up on things.

Anyway, thanks for any advice. I won't be able to answer questions til a couple hours later though.

IS a TV?, Car, Home, Taking care of your health? etc.. If you enjoy it yes...

SCPD

QRT

Exsmokey, I think AZScanner was being pessimistic/cynical about what he feels the future will bring us, rather than knowing what lies ahead

Thanks for the heads up.

KB7MIB

I can't blame him, though. What with various digital modes that aren't (yet at least) monitorable, the multipath interference issues with simulcast systems like the RWC and Topaz RWC, not to mention the proliferation of encryption, it's easy to become discouraged about what the future may hold. We just have to try to be optimistic about it.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col

Yes, that's correct. Sorry if I caused any confusion. ;) The hypothetical "Phase III" I referred to was just a jab at the term "P25 Phase II". Still if you think about it, that seems to be the logical progression we are facing. Project 25 was around long before 9-11 but 9-11 was the excuse used to convince every major metropolitan area that they needed to blow hundreds of millions of dollars to achieve "interoperability" (phase I), then the FCC mandated that these systems be ultra-narrow band and 700MHz only (phase II) by 2016. Seems pretty convenient doesn't it? All we need now is another 9-11 (or Boston bomber, or insert-scary-incident-here) where the culprits were carrying scanners (or a smart phone) and voila, we'll be told that the scary bad men with smartphones "were probably listening to the cops and that's how they were able to harm innocent people" or some such utter BS and to keep us safe, the benevolent Big Brother a.k.a. federal government will make it law that all such communications be encrypted. End of story.

I don't KNOW that this will happen for sure one day, but I think it's highly probable that someday, it will.

Hopefully that clears up any confusion. Carry on! :)
-AZ

Status
Not open for further replies.