Is an SDR dongle for me? Was: IC-7300 [receive ONLY current requirement]?

Status
Not open for further replies.

baybum

I never did buy the IC-7300. I ended up finding a mint IC-7600 and it won me over. While the IC-7300 is an awesome rig (I'm pretty certain prcguy will agree ;)), but I really like the larger form factor of the 7600, and it also is an awesome rig. I sold my 35A power supply and purchased a 12A power supply which is more than enough to handle the 2.5~3A's is needs for receive only.

Thanks for the clarification. One more question...If I'm just a casual SWL'er, would a $25 DSR dongle be just as good for me? I know that is a wide open question, but I'm thinking about the visual features like the scopes and waterfalls etc... Thanks.
One caveat...let's assume money is not an issue for the purpose of this question.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the clarification. One more question...If I'm just a casual SWL'er, would a $25 DSR dongle be just as good for me? I know that is a wide open question, but I'm thinking about the visual features like the scopes and waterfalls etc... Thanks.
One caveat...let's assume money is not an issue for the purpose of this question.

I've only used a SDR for VHF/UHF so I'm not familar with performance on HF. Both the ICOM IC-7300 & IC7600 have color waterfall displays, but doing it on a SDR and a computer the display would be much larger and impressive.

spongella

Premium Subscriber
Your garden variety $25 SDR dongle generally covers from about 25 MHz to around 1.7 GHz. To receive HF you'd have to get an upconverter like the Nooelec HamItUp board which runs about forty bucks. With that combination you'll be able to receive the AM broadcast band, HF, VHF and UHF. I've used the aforementioned combo for several years and it works well. Note that you will need a computer, software and an outdoor antenna. There's a bit of a learning curve too, but a big plus with an SDR dongle is it gives you a visual depiction of what is going on consisting of a spectral display and waterfall.

If you don't want to go the $25 dongle route, there are other SDRs at higher prices that might work for you. Check out www.rtl-sdr.com as this is a great website for SDR radio.

Hope this helps, and good luck in your endeavor.

db_gain

This page has sdr rigs that can be operated remotely, using these will allow one to see if they're interested in going further with sdr, and by that I mean with more adc bits than the inexpensive sdr rigs employ.
SDR.hu
The more adc bits you have to work with, the greater the signal handling range is, very important for pretty much anything below 60MHz..

Here's my reviews of inexpensive sdr rigs for your perusal;
http://www.udxf.nl/The-RTL-SDR-V3.pdf
http://www.udxf.nl/SDRPlay_RSP2_SDR.pdf

questnz

I was in the same position few years ago, but since move in to SDR Play RSP1A, much better reception

prcguy

I picked up a RSP2pro and was very surprised at its performance on HF and VHF/UHF. Its better than a number of table top and rack mount HF receivers I've had in the past that cost more. I think its a good way to experience a moderate level of performance and lots of features without spending a lot of $$.

mbott

Premium Subscriber
The RSP2 would be a great choice and so would the Airspy HF+. I was not happy the short time I attempted to use one of the inexpensive dongles.

--
Mike

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Another vote for the SDRplay RSP2 or whichever version they make that suits your needs. I use mine on a Mac via CubicSDR. There are more options for Windows. I use inline broadcast band filters and the SDRplay also has them built in, which helps even more for my RFI issues.

Enjoying that device has stalled my purchase of an Icom 7610; a significant cost difference between the two.

Status
Not open for further replies.