Is Anybody Here Using Either The BCD325P2 Or The BCD996P2 On ARMER?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASII

Memory Capacity
As posted above, I am just wondering if anybody here is using either the BCD325P2 or the BCD996P2 on the ARMER system? If so, I am just wondering how they perform.

Talbarez

Im using the 996P2. the sound is much clearer, but I do not hear as much as I did with my 396xt set up exactly the same. still digging into it

thedood

As posted above, I am just wondering if anybody here is using either the BCD325P2 or the BCD996P2 on the ARMER system? If so, I am just wondering how they perform.
I am using the BCD325P2. Typically I am scanning the Anoka County Simulcast, and it works pretty well, although I switched from the antenna that came with it as it seemed a bit cheap and transmissions were breaking up a bit.

However, I am unable to hear any Minneapolis Police traffic when traveling to Hennepin County.. It seems like it worked a few weeks ago, but as of tonight, nothing.

I am not sure if they switched to encrypted dispatch channels, or what.... Would be open to suggestions if someone happens to know more about it.

Talbarez

I went from a 396xt to a 996p2. Same ratshack 800mhz antenna, same placement within inches literally, and I noticed a huge loss. I picked up mpls great on my 396xt, but rarely on my 996p2. Both programmed the exact same.

I have messing with squelch, p25 levels, etc without any luck. Kind of disappointed. Think I may pick up another 396xt to hear what I'm missing again

thedood

I went from a 396xt to a 996p2. Same ratshack 800mhz antenna, same placement within inches literally, and I noticed a huge loss. I picked up mpls great on my 396xt, but rarely on my 996p2. Both programmed the exact same.

I have messing with squelch, p25 levels, etc without any luck. Kind of disappointed. Think I may pick up another 396xt to hear what I'm missing again
You're able to pick up Minneapolis Police in Linwood TWP? I am in Blaine, and only on a rare occasion can I get MPLS Police Dispatch... I typically have to drive south on 65 a bit to get more action.

What kind of antenna do you use? I have looked as discone antennas, but am not sure if they'll do the trick or not.

Open to suggestions.

Talbarez

My scanner on my desk in Brooklyn Park is what changed. Up here I can only get Anoka, Washington, Chosago, Isanti and Ramsey counties in well. I don't listen to WI.

Funny thing is I pick up bloomington anc MAC fine at work also.
I just ordered a dedicated no ground plane 800mhz antenna to try at work.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
See the coverage maps. Top is Minneapolis (109) which has a tighter of a footprint. So Brooklyn Park is a stretch. (If you heard Minneapolis, someone might have roamed into Hennepin East area and affliated with that sub-system).

Bloomington and MAC fire are on the Hennepin East sub-system (201) which covers a larger area.

Last edited:

Talbarez

See the coverage maps. Top is Minneapolis (109) which has a tighter of a footprint. So Brooklyn Park is a stretch. (If you heard Minneapolis, someone might have roamed into Hennepin East area and affliated with that sub-system).

Bloomington and MAC fire are on the Hennepin East sub-system (201) which covers a larger area.

This still does not explain why for years I have been able to hear Minneapolis perfectly and the only thing that has changed was my scanner. I was able to hear Minneapolis police and fire clear and frequently so it was not because someone had roamed into a different system.

I have also noted that I do not seem to hear as many squads in Anoka as I used to. I hear dispatch fine, and many of the closer cities, but I do not hear as many Zebra cars as I used to, nor the Queen and Robert cars.

The only thing that has changed is the hardware

wogggieee

Premium Subscriber
Things on the system could have changed too, and maybe also procedures used by the different departments.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
With a digital radio system, such as Minnesota's you either receive it well or do not receive it at all. So if you are right at the very edge of the coverage area, you'll hear it just like you were sitting on top of the transmitter tower. Move 3 feet beyond the coverage area and reception is gone.

One scanner could be just a smidge more sensitive than the other. Also you said you use the exact same antenna. The 396XT uses an SMA thread and the 996P2 uses BNC, so I suspect there is an adapter somewhere in the setup. That can impact reception.

Talbarez

well, I managed to fix the issue. I made a NMO to BNC cable and found a 800mhz no ground plane antenna PCTEL Maxrad MUF8003NGPS and had my shop make a lbracket for it to mount at my desk. night and day difference. I am able to pick up Saint Paul no problem in Brooklyn Park/Osseo area as well as everything I was hearing before.

Status
Not open for further replies.