Is anyone into vintage multiband portable radios?

K0WWX

First time caller, long time listener. Have been reading these great forums for years. I appreciate all of the information that is shared here.

Been into SDRs lately, and after you use an SDR, it’s easy to forget about using all the other radios you ever had, but their wide tuning range, basically DC to daylight, has made me think about the vintage multiband portables that were commonly built in the 60s, 70s, and 80s. I’d classify a vintage multiband portable as a solid-state radio with an analog tuning dial, a built-in telescopic whip antenna, a carrying handle, and the ability to run off batteries. At a minimum it should be able to receive AM/FM, plus at least one shortwave band. Many also added the VHF police and air bands, and some even added a VHF TV band. In the glory days of CB during the 70s, some also added CB as a separate band. Some had longwave below the AM band. A few had a UHF band.

Vintage multiband portables are not hard to find, I see them at hamfests, and most are not very expensive. I’m sure some people collect them, but it’s probably a niche genre. They have some pros and cons:

Pros

• There were usually the TOTL of portable radios and because they were larger and more expensive, they sounded better than most portables radios. They could play fairly loud and had a decent speaker.
  • Even if shortwave didn’t work well, they were sometimes better than average AM/FM radios.
  • Many had beautiful tuning dials, sometimes multi-color, they can be eye catchers.
  • Because they were all-in-one, they required very little effort to install and use. You just had to them on, extend the antenna, and start listening. No external speaker or antenna required.
  • They had some of the greatest model names in the history of marketing or electronics. The names captured your imagination. A few memorable names of multibanders that spring to mind are Astronaut, Earth Orbiter, Jet Stream Patrolman, Senator, Symphonette, Trans-Oceanic, Wayfarer, World Monitor, World Ranger, and so forth. That’s not even mentioning the crazy names of the Grundig “Boy” series (City Boy, Concert Boy, Elite Boy, Melody Boy, Music Boy, Ocean Boy, Prima Boy, Yacht Boy, and so on).
Cons

• It’s not really possible to make a radio that works well on all bands with a single built-in antenna, so many had “dead” bands that barely worked. Most multibanders are not considered to be great shortwave radios.
  • Build quality is worse than ham equipment. The cases are plastic, not much metal was used, as they were made to be carried around. Often times, the side panels were padded with leatherette to hide the plastic. The back side is where they usually look cheap.
  • They can be hard to take apart and work on. They have a lot of stuff crammed into a small box. If you take one apart, they can be hard to put back together, and even simple stuff like cleaning the controls with deoxit can be difficult.
I’m no expert, but first radio of the genre might have been the Zenith Trans-Oceanic Royal 3000, which came out around 1965. There were earlier Trans-Oceanics, both tube and solid state, but they didn’t have FM. It was made in Chicago before the Japanese radios began to dominate the marketplace.

The kingpin manufacturer of multibanders is probably Sony, “the one and only”. They never made ham gear, but they made some incredible portables, both performance wise and design wise, and they were probably largely responsible for pushing Zenith out of the radio business. National Panasonic made some great radios that probably equaled the top Sonys, but they had fewer models. Grundig made many multiband models, some of very high quality. Sony/Panasonic/Grundig could be considered the big three of the genre.

Then there were the department store radios and house brands. Stores like Kmart, Woolworth, and Woolco carried low end multibanders made by companies like Electro Brand, Juliette, Lawrence, Lloyds, Sound Design, Westminster, Worldstar, and York. Some of them look good, but they were of poor quality and almost none are desirable to collectors. The best multiband radio you find at a store like Kmart or Woolworth was probably a General Electric.

Airline, the house brand of Montgomery Wards, was slightly higher up the pay scale than what you would find at Kmart or Woolworth. Some of the Airline multibanders were made by Sharp and were decent quality.

The next step up the house brand pay scale was Sears. There were such a thing as Craftsman multiband radios. Their Wayfarer model was the same radio as the Sanyo Senator, which was fairly high end. I think their Roadtalker CB radios were by Uniden. They even rebranded the famed Yaesu FRG-7 communications receiver as the Sears FRG-7. For the most part, Sears sold good stuff.

Finally, you had the Realistic/Radio Shack multibanders. The Shack probably sold more multibanders than anybody, with two famous lines, the Astronaut series, devoted mostly to shortwave, and the Patrolman series, devoted mostly to police band, although some of the Patrolmans had shortwave bands. The Astronaut 8 was made by Allied, maybe others were as well. I don’t know who made the Patrolmans, but the earlier ones made in Japan, like the Patrolman 9, seemed to be high quality. Radio Shack also sold some cheaper multibanders that had just had catalog numbers and no model names.

I’ve owned and sold or gotten rid of most of my multibanders, but still have two Zenith Trans-Oceanics (both need a little work), a Realistic Astronaut 8 which is a surprisingly good radio, and my original Montgomery Wards Airline GEN-1475A, which got me started listening to shortwave almost 50 years ago.

Any recollections, observations, or comments about vintage multiband portables would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Token

I’m no expert, but first radio of the genre might have been the Zenith Trans-Oceanic Royal 3000, which came out around 1965. There were earlier Trans-Oceanics, both tube and solid state, but they didn’t have FM. It was made in Chicago before the Japanese radios began to dominate the marketplace.

The Zenith Royal 2000 also did the FM band, but no shortwave bands.

The Hallicrafters WR-3100 would fit the bill for coverage, it came out in 1964. The WR-3200 and the WR-4000 came out in 1965 and also fit the description. I think all of those were responses to the Royal 3000, so I suspect that was out in 1962 or 1963.

I had a Hallicrafters TW-1200 that I really wish I still had today.

I still have a Royal 3000, as well as a 7000. And a handful of other portables that fit the description, but the majority of my older portables, like my Hallicrafters TW-500, TW-600, TW-1000, and TW-2000, do not include the FM band, so do not fit.

T!

K0WWX

The Zenith Royal 2000 also did the FM band, but no shortwave bands.

The Hallicrafters WR-3100 would fit the bill for coverage, it came out in 1964. The WR-3200 and the WR-4000 came out in 1965 and also fit the description. I think all of those were responses to the Royal 3000, so I suspect that was out in 1962 or 1963.

I had a Hallicrafters TW-1200 that I really wish I still had today.

I still have a Royal 3000, as well as a 7000. And a handful of other portables that fit the description, but the majority of my older portables, like my Hallicrafters TW-500, TW-600, TW-1000, and TW-2000, do not include the FM band, so do not fit.

T!

Great post. You are correct about the introduction of the Royal 3000. I have a copy of Bryant and Cole's excellent book, "Zenith Trans-Oceanic: The Royalty of Radios" and it states that:

"The Royal 3000 Trans-Oceanic was announced with a press release on November 16, 1962, for the 1963 Zenith line."

I should have checked the book before I posted, and looking at it now makes me want to read through the book again. I have a Royal 3000 as well as the AM-only Royal 1000.

Thank you for mentioning all the Hallicrafters models. The TW-1200 was an impressive looking portable, it's easy to see why you wish you still had yours.

Last edited:

majoco

Stirrer
I have a selection from around the world, mainly bought on our local auction site.

A Perdio "Grosvenor" from the UK around 1967 - looks very classy with a chrome front but performance is nothing special, Long wave, Broadcast band and HF from 5.5 to 15.5MHz.
DSCF1477 crop sml.jpg

Zenith 3000-1, works well after a good clean and re-alignment. Usual leatherette shrinking problems.
3000_3.jpg

Zenith R7000, NZ$100 absolutely filthy but fortunately nothing serious - also works very well now.
zenithr7000-201.jpg

Russian VEF Convair sold in the UK. Strange construction with plastic chassis and turret wavechange with individual HF broadcast bands - reception from outside the BC bands is not allowed in many European countries.
DSCF0168 crop sml.jpg

Heathkit Mohocan GC1U - kitset all HF band receiver, again looks the part but pretty normal reception. Will work with 8 "D" cells and I modified it to run on a 12v plug pack. Mine suddenly failed and I suspect an IF transformer winding has succumbed to the dreaded 'green spot'.
Heathkit_GC_1A_L.jpg

Barlow-Wadley XCR-30 - very heavy and beautifully constructed, the very first Wadley Loop receiver. Bought from a nearby op shop as 'not working' but I suspect they didn't know how! Way out of alignment so I suspect the phantom twiddler had already been in there - fortunately he/she had left the 40MHz/1MHz wide filter alone.
as found 1.jpg

Nordmende Globetrotter 7/601 bought from EPay in Geneva - my employer allowed me to add it to our next DHL shipment from Germany! Works very well with excellent sound but hadn't been treated very well - obviously belonged to a painter who left it out in the rain. Now it's my 'daily driver' in the kitchen, had to make an external power supply for it.
nordGlobe2 smllr.jpg

Sony - CRF230, the big one, NZ$60! Must have been on a shelf over the fish'n'chip fryer as was just full of grease which took a while to clean out. CRF5090, World Zone - dirt cheap as it had the 'flattened scale' problem which I fixed and works well. CRF 580 and 550 AM/FM/cassette players. I did have a CRF5100 but it could not be successfully rejuvenated as the printed circuit board switched had just worn out so it's a "parts queen".
IMG_0183 sml.jpgNice'n'clean sml.jpg

Yaesu FRG7 - the great little 'Frog' - goes well and is portable with an internal battery pack.
yaesu-frg7-col.jpg

If you want to fix your Sony 5090/5100 dial scale, it's all here....

Last edited:

Falcon9h

Premium Subscriber
This is my biggest part of 'this thing of ours.' I'm into solid state from the mid 50's to the 80's and have restored 10-12 Trans-Oceanics, both tube and solid state, all recapped and aligned.
The first real multiband (solid state) was the Zenith Royal 1000. I love mine. IMO Zenith was the best of the best. My D7000Y has the best sound of any radio I've had, and that's over 100.
And don't forget the RF-2200. Best MW DX'er ever along with the GE Superadio II. Others: RF-2800, 2900, ICF-5900W, ICF-2010, pretty much anything Sony. My CRF-160 is a pride and joy, could never afford the others, prices are totally insane.
Sony TFM-1600W is another winner, a good performer with the beautiful slide rule dial with raised lettering. And very hard to find.
I really need to unload some duplicates to mitigate the hoarding.

Current radios are Tecsuns which I use for sideband.

Nice post!

PACNWDude

I just bought this Patrolman SW60 receiver recently. Great radio and only issue is the bent replacement antenna the previous owner installed. Had some dust on it, and pots needed DeoxIt to help with the tarnish and noise result. Lights work, and was in good shape for its age. A correctly sized antenna for VHF is only about $7 online, so that will be inbound soon. My previous multiband receivers have been limited to direction finding AM receivers (Coastal Navigator, Sperry receiver) used in the maritime industry.

SW60.JPG

K0WWX

This is my biggest part of 'this thing of ours.' I'm into solid state from the mid 50's to the 80's and have restored 10-12 Trans-Oceanics, both tube and solid state, all recapped and aligned.
The first real multiband (solid state) was the Zenith Royal 1000. I love mine. IMO Zenith was the best of the best. My D7000Y has the best sound of any radio I've had, and that's over 100.
And don't forget the RF-2200. Best MW DX'er ever along with the GE Superadio II. Others: RF-2800, 2900, ICF-5900W, ICF-2010, pretty much anything Sony. My CRF-160 is a pride and joy, could never afford the others, prices are totally insane.
Sony TFM-1600W is another winner, a good performer with the beautiful slide rule dial with raised lettering. And very hard to find.
I really need to unload some duplicates to mitigate the hoarding.

Current radios are Tecsuns which I use for sideband.

Nice post!
Agree with you about "anything Sony". I've had a few Sonys in the past including the TFM-1600W which is a good performer in this category. Also once had a TFM-8000W, nice radio. All the Sony radios that say "Super Sensitive" on the dial seem to be of high quality.

Here's my original original Montgomery Wards Airline GEN-1475A, still works. I also found the listing from a 1974 Montgomery Wards catalog. It's not the anywhere near the quality of a Zenith or a Sony, but I learned so much about radio with that old multibander that I've hung on to it.

Airline_GEN1475A.jpg

Wards_1475_1974_catalog.jpg

K0WWX

I have a selection from around the world, mainly bought on our local auction site.
Nordmende Globetrotter 7/601 bought from EPay in Geneva - my employer allowed me to add it to our next DHL shipment from Germany! Works very well with excellent sound but hadn't been treated very well - obviously belonged to a painter who left it out in the rain. Now it's my 'daily driver' in the kitchen, had to make an external power supply for it.
View attachment 140205

Outstanding collection! I should have mentioned Globetrotter as one of the great multibander names.

Boombox

I still have my first multibander, a Penney's radio made probably by Toshiba. It still works.

I have my FRG-7, DX-160 (haven't fired that one up in a while -- not sure if it still works). A Realistic Patrolman SW-60 (like the one picture upthread) which still works, and an old Com-Trek IV I got used that has thermal noise. I replaced all the caps in the audio section and it still has thermal noise. Then I gave up on it. Big monster of a multibander. I also have a few other ones I got used, some work betterh than others.

PACNWDude

I could not resist buying this Realistic Astronaut 8 multiband radio recently. Is in great condition for its age, and fully functional, to include all four lights working. Found several stations that my Tecsun PL-368 passed over as they were weaker signals. Manual tuning may take time, but when you hear more as a result, old school just seems to be better at times. The foam behind the battery door went to powder on touch, but other than that, I cleaned this up a little bit and will enjoy its use.

A8.PNG

Boombox

Noisy transistor in the audio amp? I had a lot of those, when I worked on stereos for a living.
After doing the replacements, the idea that it might be a transistor crossed my mind. Considering the pain in the neck the process of replacing parts was on that radio, I just let it be. I also have another older multibander that did the same thing. Obviously, some transistors from the 1960's - early 1970s had their issues....

spongella

Premium Subscriber
The Panasonic RF2200 is my lifelong favorite, runs forever on four D batteries. The batteries alone probably weigh more than many of the smaller portables of today hihi. I had the Yaesu FRG-7 years ago and it's Sears counterpart, both great radios with nice big front speakers.

PACNWDude

My most commonly used vintage multiband receivers are a pair of Coastal Navigator radios. These were made for maritime use, and monitoring navigation beacons, as well as broadcast stations. Still interesting to tune in a radio station and move the antenna around and find which azimuth gives the best signal (or back azimuth as it is just a bar on top that turns around 0,359 degrees.). These also work on four "D" cell batteries which seem to make up the bulk of the weight for the unit.

These navigation type of receivers are metal cased, and have held up well due to their durable construction and use case in the maritime industry. Many have survived, but I sometimes find these at thrift stores cheap, as people do not know what they are, or if they are still "useful".....more for us enthusiasts.

cnhalf.JPG

K0WWX

I could not resist buying this Realistic Astronaut 8 multiband radio recently. Is in great condition for its age, and fully functional, to include all four lights working. Found several stations that my Tecsun PL-368 passed over as they were weaker signals. Manual tuning may take time, but when you hear more as a result, old school just seems to be better at times. The foam behind the battery door went to powder on touch, but other than that, I cleaned this up a little bit and will enjoy its use.
+1 on the Astronaut 8

As mentioned in my post above, the Astronaut 8 is one multibander I still have. Used it for a long time, and it is a surprisingly good receiver, better than I expected. My only complaints are the ridiculously small tuning/battery meter, and the telescopic whip antenna, which is somewhat thing and flimsy. But it works well and is nice looking and they made a lot of them, making them easy to find for low prices. The date code on mine suggests it was built in February 1972. Here's a picture plus the listing from the 1973 Radio Shack catalog.

Astronaut_8_photo.jpg

Astronaut_8_1973_RS_Catalog.jpg

Falcon9h

Premium Subscriber

View attachment 140721
You can scrape the old foam off, find some new from whatever source (box, etc.), get some Super 77 spray, cut your new foam piece, squirt some Supper 77 on it and *quickly* stick it on before the adhesive starts dissolving it. Has worked every time for me.

Falcon9h

Premium Subscriber
My most commonly used vintage multiband receivers are a pair of Coastal Navigator radios. These were made for maritime use, and monitoring navigation beacons, as well as broadcast stations. Still interesting to tune in a radio station and move the antenna around and find which azimuth gives the best signal (or back azimuth as it is just a bar on top that turns around 0,359 degrees.). These also work on four "D" cell batteries which seem to make up the bulk of the weight for the unit.

These navigation type of receivers are metal cased, and have held up well due to their durable construction and use case in the maritime industry. Many have survived, but I sometimes find these at thrift stores cheap, as people do not know what they are, or if they are still "useful".....more for us enthusiasts.

View attachment 140775
That would be the day, finding any radios in thrift stores around here in the sea of obese land whales spitting out 6 kids, so thrift stores are junk, dirty toys and used baby clothes. (gag) They all got greedy and anything remotely quality goes to greedbay. End of rant.
That said, I'd love to find one of these, never have in 50 years of radio but I don't live near water.

PACNWDude

You can scrape the old foam off, find some new from whatever source (box, etc.), get some Super 77 spray, cut your new foam piece, squirt some Supper 77 on it and *quickly* stick it on before the adhesive starts dissolving it. Has worked every time for me.
Yes, this is an easy for for the Astronaut 8. Even the CW-60 I posted before, well the seller broke the tip off the right (VHF) antenna trying to get it into a flat rate box. That was replaced for $7 (for 2 antennas no less) on Amazon. I'm not complaining one bit on the build quality of these older radios, they have held up very well for their age.