Is anyone providing EAS on their feeds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kb8zxe

Is anyone providing EAS / weather alerts on their feed. I have thought about it in the past but never really saw a need except for experimenting and learning. I think Multimon for Linux will do SAME, add in a relay toggled by GPIO ports on a Raspberry PI and you are good to go.

This may be against the TOS for Broadcastify, I guess it's more of a "in theory" question.

KC8ESL

Premium Subscriber
If I was listening to a police/fire feed and depended on that via broadcastify, then all of a sudden the audio I want/need ducks out for SAME/otherwise, I'd be pissed.

Then again, flip of the coin, if I depended on that feed, I'd probably have requested a public service radio from the radio cache that the departments pull from. Broadcastify is a hobby outlet, but I'd probably be upset that they switch to NOAA WX radio on the feed I want.

kb8zxe

Okay, so its not going to happen. I get that. How about the in theory question. Is anyone using Linux to decode SAME?

665_NJ

Scanner enthusiast
Premium Subscriber
"Anyone using Linux to decode NOAA Weather Radio (NWR) Specific Area Message Encoding

Okay, so its not going to happen. I get that. How about the in theory question. Is anyone using Linux to decode SAME?

OK, not picking, just to make things easier for all around your thread topic should be
"Anyone using Linux to decode NOAA Weather Radio (NWR) Specific
Area Message Encoding (SAME)?"
That's all...:D

Thanks!

Max:cool:

evfd1625

An alternative option is to use 2-tone decode and use the 1050hz long tone to decode and send the alert as an audio file. But then you receive the alerts for the entire transmitter coverage area.

DarkStarPDX

I had looked into streaming EAS messages a while ago and since they aren't addressed in the Broadcastify TOS I decided to email them for clarification.

The response back was that since the source of the EAS messages would be from broadcast entities or NOAA it would be against the TOS and my feed would not be approved.

I tried negotiating a bit since here in Oregon we have a statewide system on 166.25 MHz and I suggested using it as the only source, however they replied they didn't want to deal with the semantics and the feed would not be approved anyhow.

SCPD

QRT
No NWS or EAS on the feeds please. There are portable weather radios so they are not needed to stream. I agree, if your listening to something good and the weather alert comes on, very annoying to say the least.

DisasterGuy

Semantics indeed but you will hear NWR SAME alerts and EAS messages that are rebroadcast on Broadcastify from the system I manage. Why? We re-transmit them on the system itself using an EAS ENDEC.

timkilbride

Database Admin
I have a WX radio tied into a UHF ham repeater to send out WX alerts as they are sent out. Its a programmable radio so I decide what gets sent out. Then at the echolink station, I have TwoToneDetect running looking for that 1050hz tone. I have that setup to go to my phone via text message. In most cases, I get the text message before the locals are putting it out. It works pretty well as long as I have electricity.

Tim

DarkStarPDX

Semantics indeed but you will hear NWR SAME alerts and EAS messages that are rebroadcast on Broadcastify from the system I manage. Why? We re-transmit them on the system itself using an EAS ENDEC.
Maybe that's what I need to do. I have two Sage ENDEC units I was going to use - I just need to stream something else...

fredva

Feed Provider
Just my opinion, but it would seem the TwoToneDetect method with people subscribing to receive text messages with audio would work better for EAS alerts rather having a stream for them. A stream is more suited for 24/7 communications, rather than alerts that happen every now and then.

My weather radio makes very fast two-tone sounds when a SAME-limited alert comes across. I'm wondering if TwoToneDetect could be set up to detect those sounds, so that it would only pick up the alerts for the programmed area instead of an entire region via the 1050 Mhz tone.

ffexpCP

wizard of odd
Database Admin
Be aware that the NOAA and EBS tones are not the same.

NOAA uses a 1050hz tone and EAS header for alerts.

EAS uses the old EBS dual-tone. Required weekly tests do not use the tone.

Both use the same End of Message bursts.

Not all sources relay all alerts. Alerts are mostly optional, except for tests and presidential messages. Relay of tests can be delayed, while presidential messages are immediate.

If you really want reliability and most alerts, you should monitor the broadcasters assigned as the EAS local primary stations or state primary station.

You may also be able to find a radio link between your state or local emergency management center and the broadcasters.

DisasterGuy

The EAS tone you are talking about isn't what actually contains the alert header data. That is contained in the FSK burst that precedes the message start tone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ffexpCP

wizard of odd
Database Admin
I understand that. I wanted to clarity the tone differences as I can see that causing confusion. There was some discussion about using twotone detect. I doubt it would work with much reliability when used with the EBS tone but should work fine with the NOAA tone.

webstar22

RenfrewCountyScanner.com
Feed Provider
Maybe that's what I need to do. I have two Sage ENDEC units I was going to use - I just need to stream something else...

I wish there was software for a computer that would monitor a weather radio and when the tones go off switch to the weather radio and then switch back to the scanner after it is done. I guess the software version of a Sage box.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
I wish there was software for a computer that would monitor a weather radio and when the tones go off switch to the weather radio and then switch back to the scanner after it is done. I guess the software version of a Sage box.

Find a weather radio with a relay output and then make up a circuit to what you want in hardware. Just swap the audio before the PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.