• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Is APCO-25 Allowed on GMRS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RADIOGUY2002

lol

lol,seriously. I personally like the two tone offset idea. You always have the option of turning it off and having multiple machine to switch back and fourth between.

There's a resort in IL that operates on gmrs frequency and now its just down right funny. The FCC needs is like every other agency at this point, running out of money and finding it hard to enforce certain things. If it really took 8 minutes to find someone then its really not all that fast, but then again I guess it all depends on how dumb the offender or individuals are in lack of knowledge.

Ain't nothing liking hearing
16 to 50 can respond to room 331A for a loud noise compliant. Or billy can you meet me at the check in desk. Or unit 60 can you go to 123 for a remote control that does not work. How dumb can you really be to identified and on top of it make so apparent that a simple brief filed investigation with a close call device would find it.

But hey I'm not the FCC and find myself the one with out the 10,000 to 14,000 violation that could be imposed. So, now its down right funny at this point. Maybe if the field the offices were more suitable to contacting for violations (much like that of a police department) perhaps the violations wold be streamed lined. But, who am I to say.

Last edited:

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Digital was discussed for GMRS in 1978, but the industry said:

Representatives of the General Mobile and the various Industrial Radio Services ... expressed concern that the use of digital voice modulation on heavily shared frequencies could result in some confusion as to the availability of a frequency for use at any given time and could increase the probability of inadvertent co-channel interference.

Last edited:

intermod

Digital on shared channels

UPMan:

Would you have a copy of that proceeding or the docket number? I think a lot was going on in GMRS about that time.

I wonder how business/industrial users on non-exclusive, shared channels are dealing with this today? Transmitter lock-out would work on the subscriber equipment, assuming it detects the signal and does not see it as noise. But I believe most subscriber units do not use busy-channel-lockout as the manufacturers really never made this selective enough to avoid false-positives.

intermod

KJ4TND

Just upgrade to d star like some hams are starting too. That way the person who wants to talk on the local repeater has to contact the repeater owner to put his info (call sign) into the repeater. If the repeater detects a call sign that has not been programed into the repeater that person cannot break it. Also if someone gets on the repeater and kerchunks it, it will show their calll sign id on everyones screen so the repeater op can go and block that specific call sign. I cant wait to the local ham club here gets theirs installed.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber

newsphotog

Premium Subscriber
Just upgrade to d star like some hams are starting too. That way the person who wants to talk on the local repeater has to contact the repeater owner to put his info (call sign) into the repeater. If the repeater detects a call sign that has not been programed into the repeater that person cannot break it. Also if someone gets on the repeater and kerchunks it, it will show their calll sign id on everyones screen so the repeater op can go and block that specific call sign. I cant wait to the local ham club here gets theirs installed.

Anyone with any callsign can talk on the repeaters. However, if you want your transmissions to go out over the gateway (internet), you must register online. Once you are registered, you are free to use anyone's gateway anywhere in the world. Blocking someone's callsign on D-STAR is unheard of. D-STAR repeater owners act in good faith, and if a repeater owner started blocking callsigns for stupid reasons, I'd never want to hang out there again. Theoretically, they could probably block a callsign, but what's to keep them from changing to a fake callsign? None of that would stop the offender from jamming up the input frequency.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
As was discussed before,the repeater owner need only to use a sub-standard tone which will not be seen by a scanner or bubble pak radio with the tone search feature. If members want to continue using the system than they can be advised by phone which make and model of radio will be needed to support the sub-standard tone,therefore stopping the jamming problem. If the the sub-standard tone is made known,then the owner simply changes to another sub-standard tone AGAIN squashing any jamming attempts. Very simple solution to the jamming problem without spending lots of money!
End of problem.
n9zas

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
As was discussed before,the repeater owner need only to use a sub-standard tone which will not be seen by a scanner or bubble pak radio with the tone search feature. If members want to continue using the system than they can be advised by phone which make and model of radio will be needed to support the sub-standard tone,therefore stopping the jamming problem. If the the sub-standard tone is made known,then the owner simply changes to another sub-standard tone AGAIN squashing any jamming attempts. Very simple solution to the jamming problem without spending lots of money!
End of problem.
n9zas

I agree 100% with this, and asked the OP if it was actually done or just proposed, as their post was vague. Never got an answer.

multisync

Go FHSS and share ID among other members, but no FHSS repeaters exist that I'm aware of.

Status
Not open for further replies.