Votes: 33 47.1%
  • Yes

Votes: 38 54.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

monitorman

Well some interesting comments so far, the reason I asked the poll question is I upgraded to general last week and would'nt you know it I had a membership offer from arrl before I received my license in the mail(lol). So I thought about joining again, I joined arrl when I got my tech ticket but did not renew alot of the stuff in qst was over my head (and still is) and there were no offers from elmers or answers to my many questions from the local club, in fact the only thing I got from the local club was a cold shoulder and a receipt for the $30 dues I paid (who I did not renew either). The biggest negative I find is alot of elitism in ham radio based on what license you hold, what radio you have, what antenna you have, etc. I guess they are too cool to play with me, which I find ironic since did'nt they start at the bottom of the ladder too? Looking forward to reading more comments.

k8tmk

I took out an ARRL life membership in 1970. I think it cost me $125.00 at the time. It was one of the best things I ever did. Because the subscrption rate has steadily increased over the last 38 years, and I have been a member way past 20 years (the cost of a life subscription is based upon the current rate times 20 years), it's now like money in my pocket each year.

As far as a cold shoulder from your local club, all clubs are not like that. Our local club, and many others, has people who voluntarily offer their time and expertise in various technical areas to members. We even have an Earth Sciences teacher at a nearby middle school who has an amateur radio station set up in his classroom, and has helped several youngsters get their licenses. Is there another club nearby that may be more open to help you?

Randy, K8TMK

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
I stopped being a member of ARRL three years ago. It was about five years that they lost touch with the amateur community, IMHO. Sumner and crew were bought off by the big three a long time ago...QST is now a catalog, not a amateur magazine that USED to have good articles. The political structure is also crap...nepotism and political hacking are alive and well in an organization that stuff just does not belong in.
A perfect example of ARRL failure...the bandwidth fight. More space for bogus projects like WinStink. Why do we need WinStink? If I want email, I'll turn my computer on!

Highpockets

I stopped being a member of ARRL three years ago. It was about five years that they lost touch with the amateur community, IMHO. Sumner and crew were bought off by the big three a long time ago...QST is now a catalog, not a amateur magazine that USED to have good articles. The political structure is also crap...nepotism and political hacking are alive and well in an organization that stuff just does not belong in.
A perfect example of ARRL failure...the bandwidth fight. More space for bogus projects like WinStink. Why do we need WinStink? If I want email, I'll turn my computer on!

Sounds pretty much on the money, I agree. :)

TheZach

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned

They tried pushing winstink in michigan for emergency communications and there was a decent uproar about it. Now theres a committe of about 10 people that meet behind closed door secret meetings that decide what the next BS ARRL Digital move is going to be in Michigan.

jon_k

No. We lost it because WE didn't use it (and most, unfortunately, still don't). UPS merely took advantage of our inactivity on the band and made an offer that Uncle Sugar could not refuse. ARRL was fighting a losing battle

I would use it. But who makes a 220 radio? They're all 2meter 70cm.

Hell, until most recently they didn't even make 70cm radios.

People won't use it until radios have the ability to.
Radios won't have the ability to use that band until people use it more.
Seems we're just bound to lose the band unless someone takes the initiative here and starts using.

I'm more worried about 33 centimeters. That band is VERY useful for all sorts of digital purposes, yet nobody is using that either. I'm sure a cell company or data provider service would love to get primary control of that band.

Lets not even talk about the lack of use on:
  • 23 Centimeters (1240-1300 MHz)
  • 2300-2310
  • 2390-2450 MHz
  • 3300-3500 MHz
  • 5650-5925 MHz
  • 10.00-10.50 GHz
  • 24.0-24.25 GHz
  • 47.0-47.2 GHz
  • 76-81.0 GHz
  • 122.25-123 GHz
  • 134-141 GHz
  • 241.0-250.0 GHz
  • All above 275 GHz

We've got a HUGE selection of the spectrum to operate on. More room than most commercial entities have. The only one with more primary operating privileges are those huge often unused sections allotted to the government agencies.

Use 'em or lose 'em. Companies are going to start creeping up once the space runs out.

Last edited:

macdude22

Premium Subscriber
Alinco. Check out the DR-235 mobile and DJ-V27 handheld. Also, Yaesu's new VX-8 handheld will do 6m/2m/220/440.

I'm going for my Tech license on the 20th and I was planning on getting an FT-60 or a VX-170 (leaning toward the FT-60) but that VX-8 looks hot, does anyone know what it's going to cost?

jon_k

I'm going for my Tech license on the 20th and I was planning on getting an FT-60 or a VX-170 (leaning toward the FT-60) but that VX-8 looks hot, does anyone know what it's going to cost?

If priced like the VX-7R, around $300

Alinco. Check out the DR-235 mobile and DJ-V27 handheld. Also, Yaesu's new VX-8 handheld will do 6m/2m/220/440.

The 7R also supports 220. I've used it with my VX-7R. I was thinking more of mobile rigs. If you could PM me some suggestions, I'd be happy!

Last edited:

n4voxgill

Silent Key
Is Radio Resource worth it? Is the National Rifle Association worth it. YOu could ask a question on any group and get both goood and bad responses.

rankin39

ARRL, worth it?

I stopped being a member of ARRL three years ago. It was about five years that they lost touch with the amateur community, IMHO. Sumner and crew were bought off by the big three a long time ago...QST is now a catalog, not a amateur magazine that USED to have good articles.

I've been licensed for over 50 years and dropped my membership after about the first 5 because the league was "out of touch" with its membership. I say that because they failed to consult members about any of the controversial issues that came before them. Nor did their elected state "representatives" (whom very few members ever met or heard from). The governing body had about as much turnover as the Supreme Soviet of the old USSR. Nowadays, with their own website, they could easily poll members regarding any issue that was remotely controversial, but they do not. Nor do they provide a forum like this one in which members can express their opinions and debate matters. Most recently they stood by and did absolutely nothing when the European organization, CEPT, broke its reciprocal operating agreement with the United States. Now Europeans with their general class license can operate here, but Americans with their general class license are no longer permitted to operate there. Reciprocity should have been cancelled immediately until the international agreement was properly restored. But ARRL failed to complain to or petition the FCC on behalf of American amateurs. They said nothing at all. If QST is all there is to the league, we can read it in the library and save our dues.

Bob, WoNXN (ex-K4GQN, WBoCQI and VK3FLW)

commstar

Premium Subscriber
I read QST for the centerfold, not the articles.
FCC Commissioner Deborah Taylor Tate was really hot in the June issue.

ki4rvh

It all depends. I like to read QST. As a member, I use the ARRL outgoing QSL bureau, saves me postage. They sent me a "free" book when I signed up last time. I have access to technical documents on their site with my membership that non-members can't access. I've gotten my moneys worth. Its like anything else. If you get value for it then its worth it.

Chris

N8DV

As a member of ARRL since I have been licensed in 1982, I don't always agree with it's positions or policies, but what other organization is looking after our interests? As far as 220, that was put up for bid by the FCC and UPS paid mega bucks for that part of the spectrum, now they aren't using it.
Has everyone forgotten about BPL (broadband over powerlines)? It was the ARRL that sued the FCC in federal court because of major discrepancies in it's administering it's own policies. Now I ask you, who else would have pursued this course? If you don't know how devastating BPL would be to the amateur bands? In some areas, operating would not be possible.
Again, you will find in all organizations that members don't always agree with everything that the organization does or stands for but the common good, the members will stay with the group.

Status
Not open for further replies.