Is CH-9 on CB radio still used for emergences?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
No, a cell phone is the best and most direct means of getting help BUT in certein situations celluler networks may be overloaded, down or you may not be in range of them. In those cases a ham or CB radio WOULD be your next best chance of getting help. But for most people those situations are few and far between.

Not sure why you list amateur radio so close to cb, but they are about the same as cellphones and apples. I can communicate across my county on FM simplex on two meters and trying the same on cb would just leave lots of static (and of course the usual man-made static).

scansomd

Channel nine is still the 'emergency' channel. I wouldn't count on receiving any help in an emergency from anyone on CB Channel nine. That is not to say it is impossible - however, it would not be my first choice.

I know that CH-9 on CB radio use to be the emergence channel is it still?

elk2370bruce

Can you give me a link to Northwest Emergency Service Inc unit you belong to? A google search turns up nothing. What exactly is this "ERU" you drive around? How many emergencies do you respond to in an average year and is this an Indiana state authorized emergency vehicle? I was the Overhead Team Leader from my county sheriff's department in California for 27 years. No knock on you but we always had "SAR" groups that formed to try and help the community. Most of the time they were whackers and police wannabes that got in our way and never helped anyone. It's very hard for me to imagine the area around Indianapolis being a hotbed of SAR callouts, or at least as I understand SAR.

Channel 9, at least in California, is not only useless, it's dangerous. We had a lost couple in a 4WD in a snowstorm is the mountains who actually managed to contact someone of channel 9. There as no cell phone coverage where they were stranded. We were able to make contact with them on channel 9 and, while trying to determine where this lost couple and infant were located, we had a couple of idiots who would come on with their footwarmers and cover all our traffic with a string of obscenities. We read them the standard FCC warning about interfering with an emergency operation and it did no good. We had the couple switch to different channels and the nitwits followed us. We finally got enough information between all the interference and cursing that our helicopter was able to locate them. We had a few people out DF'ing them and managed to locate one house just by the massive size of the tower and beam. Of course, we filed a complaint with the FCC but our DA wouldn't indict on a state charge since it was a federal case. Never did hear anything from the FCC about enforcement but did hear that his tower collapsed several weeks later, apparently due to faulty guy wires. Sometimes things like that just happen, I guess. :)

Well stated Jim. Perhaps we should be searching under Independant Vigillante Search and Rescue Associations. He doesn't sound like a member of the emergency responder fraternity.

Don_Burke

I would have to go along with CB being nearly worthless for emergency use these days.

It has some applications in close-in communication around here. Several of the tunnels have signs that say they monitor CB 9, although I have no idea if they actually do.

XRS would be a better choice for all of this, but CB has a crushing amount of equipment out there.

kb2vxa

Banned
CB here became useless for emergencies around the same time it became useless, back in the 70s when it turned into a cesspool and the whackers sure didn't help any. Actually I'd need that roll of toilet paper with 500 extra sheets just to list my experiences with whacker QRM (the least of our worries) and their physical interference with emergency service personnel and auxiliaries. Yeah baby, I was a member of Civil Defense and REACT, I was THERE on more than one occasion right in the thick of the action. At least the old yellow CD 2M AM Gonset Communicators still worked but that's another story altogether.

That's where my experience ended but from reading these and other experiences around the web I can see it's only gotten worse so I must agree, CB is useless for much of anything. These days it's pretty much an all or nothing proposition, all whackers or 40 channels and nothing on. Again drawing from experience (and a major reason for quitting) you can bet your bottom dollar it will become less than useless if you can imagine what it sounds like as the solar cycle comes back around. You won't be able to hear your next door neighbor through all the hash mash and trash but for maybe the occasional word "skipland" fading in and out of the constant roar. Don't bother looking at the S meter, the needle won't come down off the pin until you turn the rig off.

11M CB was the FCC's worst mistake and why other countries legalized it is beyond all understanding. It was bad enough with the "skip pirates" but now they're legal the worldwide mess will be beyond imagining. For what it's worth, at this present time 11M CB goes unused in the UK and Australia so my spies tell me. They find their UHF CB (our GMRS) far more useful as they always have. Does maybe that tell you something? It does me, GMRS, Amateur Radio, cell phones, tin can telephone, ANYTHING but CB!

"...but CB has a crushing amount of equipment out there."

Did somebody mention Da Crushah? Oh now look what you did, another one of those battery acid flashbacks again and I just HAD to zip it up for your listening enjoyment. NOOOOO! Blanche, where's my medication? Blanche... BLANCHE get those hippies out of my house... BLANCHE BLAAAANCHE!
Keep off the grass Sam.

Last edited:

w0fg

XRS (sic) would be a better choice for all of this, but CB has a crushing amount of equipment out there.

Most of that crushing amount of equipment out there has been crushed in the landfill, or is languishing on flea market tables. In 1978, probably 1 in 10 cars had a CB installed; today it's more like 1 in 10,000 and that may be optimistic. In fact, I'll wager that there are more in-use 2-meter amateur rigs than CBs, if you exclude 18 wheelers. As Warren noted, choosing 27 Mhz for a local radio service was the single biggest mistake the FCC ever made.

elk2370bruce

Where is our original poster (W9NES)? He has yet to return and provide us with his greater insight into REAL public safety to us lower carbon life forms infesting RR.com. A one-time trolling expedition on his part? I have eaten a can of sardines so I can await his return with baited breath. Two cats have shown some interest but not the weasel.

Grog

Banned
Where is our original poster (W9NES)? He has yet to return and provide us with his greater insight into REAL public safety to us lower carbon life forms infesting RR.com. A one-time trolling expedition on his part? I have eaten a can of sardines so I can await his return with baited breath. Two cats have shown some interest but not the weasel.

fuzzyscanner was the OP, W9NES didn't show up until post number 5

Don_Burke

w0fg said:
Most of that crushing amount of equipment out there has been crushed in the landfill, or is languishing on flea market tables. In 1978, probably 1 in 10 cars had a CB installed; today it's more like 1 in 10,000 and that may be optimistic.
I would put it more at a few per thousand, but we have a really large number of people who hunt deer with dogs around here.
w0fg said:
In fact, I'll wager that there are more in-use 2-meter amateur rigs than CBs, if you exclude 18 wheelers.
We can not make that exclusion. Those are still vehicles on the road with CB radios in them and they spend a considerable amount of time rolling.

I could make the case that nearly no one owns shoes, if we exclude people with feet and it would be no less valid.
w0fg said:
choosing 27 Mhz for a local radio service was the single biggest mistake the FCC ever made.
I do not think it is bigger than the IBOC fiasco or the AM stereo mess.

11 Meters is fixable. It would take more than most are willing to do, however.

n5ims

I could make the case that nearly no one owns shoes, if we exclude people with feet and it would be no less valid.I do not think it is bigger than the IBOC fiasco or the AM stereo mess.QUOTE]

I agree 100% on the IBOC disaster. Let's have several good choices and pick the one with the most flaws!

Sorry for the mini-hijack and somewhat off topic post, but Don hit a sore spot with me.

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
OK we've wandered off topic more than enough. Thread will be closed. Please move on

73 Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.