Is CHP Going P25 and/or Encrypted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RFI-EMI-GUY

I agree.
And, take all the agencies that are on the 700MHz P25 systems and force them to justify hanging on to all the VHF pairs. I tried to get a couple of VHF pairs at work earlier this year and there are zero in our area. That's B.S.

Were those the ones you could put on 10 meters and 6 meters at the same time?
I had a 100 watt VHF Syntor X about 15-20 years ago. Had the RF deck mounted up in the rafters of the garage and the control head in the office. I'd put the PIEXX module in the Syntor so I could program it with a PC, and retuned it down to 2 meters. Worked really well. Lost interest in it and sold it a few years later.

Yes indeed 100 watts FM 10 through 6M and all in between. The receiver front end consists of a receiver high pass filter starting at 29 MHz and a low pass transmitter filter stopping at ~54 MHz . So all in between is fair game.

I intend to install in my new vehicle and specifically include the licensed part 90 itinerant channels for Securenet DES-XL. An agile mobile antenna system will be the last big hurdle. Still collecting the bits and pieces to get this checked out and programmed.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I intend to install in my new vehicle and specifically include the licensed part 90 itinerant channels for Securenet DES-XL. An agile mobile antenna system will be the last big hurdle. Still collecting the bits and pieces to get this checked out and programmed.

A guy I used to occasionally work with had one of those with a 10 meter 1/4 wave whip and a 6 meter 1/4 wave whips, one on either side of the SUV he drove. Phased harness to split the antennas from the one antenna jack.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Unlikely this applies to many here, but if you are a member of NAPCO, the monthly chapter meeting on December 10th will include:

The Commercial presentation will be co-sponsored by Kenwood Viking and Pyramid Communications. In addition to presenting standard products, they will give an overview of the New CHP vehicle system that was a collaborative effort between the two companies.

Viking VM7000
Low band deck
VHF deck
UHF deck
7/800MHz deck.

Full feature control head.

Using a Pyramid SVR-P752 with EVRS
Still using APX-8000 portables. They appear to have it set up to do channel steering of the mobile radios from the portable.

There's mention of a "MDI-750" adapter that seems to involve the radio, mobile data terminal and the Pyramid repeater. Haven't found much info on that yet, but haven't spent much time looking.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Viking VM7000
Low band deck
VHF deck
UHF deck
7/800MHz deck.

Full feature control head.

Using a Pyramid SVR-P752 with EVRS
Still using APX-8000 portables. They appear to have it set up to do channel steering of the mobile radios from the portable.

There's mention of a "MDI-750" adapter that seems to involve the radio, mobile data terminal and the Pyramid repeater. Haven't found much info on that yet, but haven't spent much time looking.

Do you happen to know if the Pyramid SVR-P752 passes digital P25 VOICE packets between itself and the mobile transceiver? Otherwise if it is an analog interface, the P25 audio is going to sound even worse due to double vocoding. There is likely a digital path for the emergency and unit ID, but , ...

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
Do you happen to know if the Pyramid SVR-P752 passes digital P25 VOICE packets between itself and the mobile transceiver? Otherwise if it is an analog interface, the P25 audio is going to sound even worse due to double vocoding. There is likely a digital path for the emergency and unit ID, but , ...

~14min mark they're talking about KW/EFJ EVRS integration. I don't think it went into audio link between the radio and SVR though

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

I do not know how they have it configured, they didn't cover that.
From the notes I took:
The Pyramid will do P25 or analog and is full duplex.
"Provides trunking handshake to portable radio (Pyramid's P25 SmartTrunking protocol)

RFI-EMI-GUY

~14min mark they're talking about KW/EFJ EVRS integration. I don't think it went into audio link between the radio and SVR though
Thanks, great video.
With that level of integration on the P25 I would be surprised if they did not integrate the digital voice into the interface. It would be simpler method, especially with encryption to be supported.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Thanks, great video.
With that level of integration on the P25 I would be surprised if they did not integrate the digital voice into the interface. It would be simpler method, especially with encryption to be supported.

I suspect there is some interesting interface.
The slide show (I don't have a copy of it…) showed cables running from each of the 4 radios to the "MDI-750", as well as a cable to the SVR and the PC. I did not recognize the cable part number that connected all the radios to the MDI. It did show an Ethernet cable going direct to the PC, so I suspect there is something interesting inside that box that hasn't been shared yet.

This was a special project between Kenwood/EFJ, Pyramid and Epic Communications specifically for the CHP.

wowologist

Certifiable
A lot of officers and dispatchers up here in the Bay Area are experiencing the raw digital data (from the new extenders) being broadcast straight thru to the main dispatch channel, instead of decoded audio. I hear it constantly on the two scanners I have that are dedicated to monitor CHP/CDF. One ofc. even went as far as saying "ya I feal safe calling for assistance speaking binary" OTA - you could tell he was quite p*ssed. I'm assuming they will figure out a little tighter digital filter in the RF path or a straight deny/busy tone/out of sync signal sent back to the HH so the user can then start the key-up again - because that is not safe at all.

You get any of that down in the SC/Monterrey areas - mmckenna?

wowologist

Certifiable
I don't monitor CHP. The rare times I do, I'm listening in the low band channel directly.

O ok - I thought you were - me bad, but ya that's where the digital audio sound is being passed to is the low-band channels.

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
A lot of officers and dispatchers up here in the Bay Area are experiencing the raw digital data (from the new extenders) being broadcast straight thru to the main dispatch channel, instead of decoded audio. I hear it constantly on the two scanners I have that are dedicated to monitor CHP/CDF. One ofc. even went as far as saying "ya I feal safe calling for assistance speaking binary" OTA - you could tell he was quite p*ssed. I'm assuming they will figure out a little tighter digital filter in the RF path or a straight deny/busy tone/out of sync signal sent back to the HH so the user can then start the key-up again - because that is not safe at all.

You get any of that down in the SC/Monterrey areas - mmckenna?
Sure will be nice when CRIS is operational in the bay area. The officers could just switch the portable to a talk group on the system and talk directly to dispatch, no need for the VRS. They should have rather good coverage in the bay area.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The MDI-750 may be how all the radio equipment interfaces with the touchscreen computer?

I think you may be right. That would make a lot of sense from what they are saying. I haven't heard anything, though, that says the radios will be controlled from the PC, but it could be. Likely audio switching. And CHP does have the ability to update radio programming over the internets, so that might play into it.

PrivatelyJeff

Has more money than sense
Premium Subscriber
I think you may be right. That would make a lot of sense from what they are saying. I haven't heard anything, though, that says the radios will be controlled from the PC, but it could be. Likely audio switching. And CHP does have the ability to update radio programming over the internets, so that might play into it.

I’m not 100% familiar with their gear but I believe it will be similar to the CVPE system they currently use. Everything is controlled the screen (radios, lights, radar, CAD, etc).

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I’m not 100% familiar with their gear but I believe it will be similar to the CVPE system they currently use. Everything is controlled the screen (radios, lights, radar, CAD, etc).

Maybe. I know the CPVE system is going away because they wanted something simpler. They still do have the KCH-20 style control head installed, so not sure the need to have it on the computer, also.

PrivatelyJeff

Has more money than sense
Premium Subscriber
Maybe. I know the CPVE system is going away because they wanted something simpler. They still do have the KCH-20 style control head installed, so not sure the need to have it on the computer, also.

they had the control head on the old radios too (from what I read) as a fallback I case of system failure. Still odd that when you google it, it find nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.