Is D-Star popular, many using it here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trprc

Hi Guys,

Sorry about the many questions guys, but I am doing a bit of research on my 2200h.

Is it worth getting D-Star now fro what its worth, enough repeaters to make it viable?

Thanks.

Trprc

Thanks for the link, thats a huge list of active users, amazing. I am now getting the 2200h, but I am an electronic tech so hopefully with that I can move along a bit faster in the basics.

I can imagine that the programming for that will be a challenge as well, but you guys here on this board seem so knowledgeable and helpful.

I know doing the programming by utilizing software is taking away from the hobby a bit but it makes life and practicality easier and better. Having said that, why did Icom not come up with software to facilitate programming for the active D-Star repeaters as well?

Thanks for the reply.

Last edited:

signal500

K4DPS
Premium Subscriber
Having said that, why did Icom not come up with software to facilitate programming for the active D-Star repeaters as well?

Thanks for the reply.

Most of the newer DStar radios have good programming software to help make the job easier. But you have to know the repeater callsign and the mode A(1.2 GHZ),B(70cm), or C(2 meters) that you would like to talk on, plus you have to program the G(for gateway use) in the second callsign area and also make sure the the letters A,B,C or G are in the eighth slot after the callsign when you are programming. See where I'm going with this, it is a learning curve. But once you 'get it' it isn't all that hard....

Trprc

OK, I see where you are coming from. I am now researching in depth about D-Star its protocols. I can see where you said a learning curve has to be understood.

I am getting the 2200h which I think is upgradable with a module or board. I will learn as I install it and use it as is, as I explore further into D-Star, it will become more user friendly and easier.

Thanks

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
I've been a D-Star user for 6 years on and off I got interested in D-Star in 2006 by my teacher of Ham Radio then later on I was taught more depth on how D-Star works and etc. Now, my intake on this when I got hands on experience I didn't know what to say or how to link/unlink from the reflectors until I got more hands on with it and I caught on very quick. Some D-Star repeater owns leave their repeater systems linked up to a reflector for the locals to use and some owners don't want their repeater system linked for some unknown reason.

I operate on D-Star almost everyday when I can I carry conversation's with people in Georgia, Tennessee, Texas and other states from my area due to having the local D-Star repeater linked to a reflector. Reflectors are heavenly used here in the Southern States like in Georgia which is connected to Reflector 30c and I think Reflector 30b not sure though. Here are some sites you will need to familiar with.

Reflectors - D-STAR Info

D-STAR Info News Feed - D-STAR Info

D-StarUsers.org Your Source for D-Star Digital Amateur Radio Information!

Trprc

I've been a D-Star user for 6 years on and off I got interested in D-Star in 2006 by my teacher of Ham Radio then later on I was taught more depth on how D-Star works and etc. Now, my intake on this when I got hands on experience I didn't know what to say or how to link/unlink from the reflectors until I got more hands on with it and I caught on very quick. Some D-Star repeater owns leave their repeater systems linked up to a reflector for the locals to use and some owners don't want their repeater system linked for some unknown reason.

I operate on D-Star almost everyday when I can I carry conversation's with people in Georgia, Tennessee, Texas and other states from my area due to having the local D-Star repeater linked to a reflector. Reflectors are heavenly used here in the Southern States like in Georgia which is connected to Reflector 30c and I think Reflector 30b not sure though. Here are some sites you will need to familiar with.

Reflectors - D-STAR Info

Hi Git-R-Done,

Thanks so much for the explanation and the links, they are all very much appreciated. I am getting more and more excited as I read up on the links and all the explanation I get from you guys.

You guys are really awesome. I am in the field of electronics so its like a whole new dimension is opening up to me though I worked with Satellites almost all the 42 years of my life.

I have been studying almost four days now for my Amateur Radio Certification. Here in Canada it's tough even for the BASIC which is just covering 30 Mhz and above in the VHF band. You have to answer a random choice of 100 questions out of a question bank of a 1000 questions with a score of 70% to pass.

To get certification for HF, you have to get an 80% mark to pass, so far I have been averaging 85% to 90%
I am writing my exam tomorrow and keeping fingers crossed to get 80% and above for HF though I only need 70% (which I know I will get for sure) to use my Icom 2200h.

I wonder if I will need anything above 80% for D-Star usage. Thanks so much again for all the information and replies.

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
No sir, you won't need to know anything on the test for D-Star it's a mode you can talk on as long you have a Amateur Radio license. Trust me you'll like the D-Star mode it's really cool and neat. Also check out these YouTube videos like what is D-Star and how to program D-Star radios like the Icom IC-2820H & 92AD handheld:

Amateur Radio Emergency Service (ARES) using D-STAR - YouTube

D-STAR Programming Part 1 (ARVN) - YouTube

D-STAR Programming Part 2 (ARVN) - YouTube

D-Star Demonstrations at Palomar ARC 11-07-07 - YouTube <--- Best video that compares regular analog FM to D-Star digital

IC-2820 D-Star JA1RTS N6MGM - YouTube

D-Star - YouTube

Last edited:

Trprc

No sir, you won't need to know anything on the test for D-Star it's a mode you can talk on as long you have a Amateur Radio license. Trust me you'll like the D-Star mode it's really cool and neat. Also check out these YouTube videos like what is D-Star and how to program D-Star radios like the Icom IC-2820H & 92AD handheld:

Amateur Radio Emergency Service (ARES) using D-STAR - YouTube

D-STAR Programming Part 1 (ARVN) - YouTube

D-STAR Programming Part 2 (ARVN) - YouTube

D-Star Demonstrations at Palomar ARC 11-07-07 - YouTube <--- Best video that compares regular analog FM to D-Star digital

IC-2820 D-Star JA1RTS N6MGM - YouTube

D-Star - YouTube

Wow thats quite impressive, just a whole new exciting world in Amateur Radio.

Thanks so much for the time to share, will be thanking you over the HAM Radio soon. :D

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
Wow thats quite impressive, just a whole new exciting world in Amateur Radio.

Thanks so much for the time to share, will be thanking you over the HAM Radio soon. :D

Your welcome no charge at all! D-Star is a great mode like I said you'll meet people you never met before on the radio or in person. Just for instance when you keep up the radio it'll make a beep/double beep which means it went through with no problems. You can also can program your radio to have a message scroll on the LCD screen something like your name and where you live or something like Sound Of D-Star. Also there will be a digital garble sound most people call it r2/d2 I just say it's digital garble because at times it's caused when someone is going away from the D-Star repeater or just not getting in to the system.

G-R-D,

I have to see what my 2200h needs to make it D-Star ready, I think it requires some hardware and software, will look into it.

Yup I need a UT-118 board. One minute job.

Installing a UT-118 D-Star Board

Yep, the Icom 2200h needs the UT-118 board installed so it can operate on D-Star. If you can check in to the Icom 880H 2/440 mobile radio another D-Star capable radio that already has the board installed.

Ham Radio Outlet | ICOM ID-880H-05 | 2M/440 MOBILE W/DSTAR BUILT-IN

Trprc

Thanks Git-R-Done and for the free service too :D

Wow with all the excitement I cant wait to get my radio in, build my J Pole antenna and get going. I already bought the 2200h so will order the UT-118 and at the same time with the programming/cloning software and cable.

I am a peoples person, so a its nice being able to connect with people all over, testing will be done with you first Git-R-Done and free of charge again i hope :)

Thanks so much for your time and all the information, its very much appreciated.

We need a Q code for that line above :D

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
Not a problem I like talking on D-Star it's fun and you learn things about this digital mode that is very popular to some ham's around the states and country's. On Sunday nights there is a D-Star net in the South to check in to but make sure once you get your radio setup connect your local D-Star repeater in your area to reflector 30c if it's not connected already.

Now for linking/unlinking some D-Star repeater owners leave their repeater system linked to the reflectors of their choice for them or users around the area to use and there is going to be some that leave their d-star repeater system unlinked cause some people want to talk to local ham's only and some don't.

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
Good luck and have fun on D-Star. Here you go as well a bunch of D-Star repeater systems in Canada when it shows DV (Digital Voice) DD (Digital Data) means the repeater can only do Digital Data only.

http://dstarusers.org/repeaters.php

Last edited:

Robinsmark

RE: D- Star

Hi Guys,

Sorry about the many questions guys, but I am doing a bit of research on my 2200h.

Is it worth getting D-Star now fro what its worth, enough repeaters to make it viable?

Thanks.

Depends were you live in the country. Some places don't have enough activity to support the expense of putting up a D-Star repeater. Personally I'd give it a few years.

Trprc

Reflectors - D-STAR Info

Thanks so much Git R Done,

Thanks for the links and the detailed explination, much appreicated.

I have built my J Pole and its up and running really well. Will get familiraized with the radio a bit and move onto the D-Star facilities soon.

Thanks for all of your help and replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.