Is Elizabeth going encrypted in the near future?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Analogrules

I have definitely noticed encrypted transmissions on 155.835 (Elizabeth PD's secondary frequency mostly used to communicate with EMS and emergency crews). I would hear the dispatcher talking on it, but the response is totally scrambled at times. This doesn't happen all the time, just occasionally. So far, everything on 154.860 seems to be in the clear. Is it going to stay this way? Just curious if anyone knows additional info regarding Elizabeth's future radio plans?

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Lizbit (that's how they pronounce it) like most that have encrypted have technology ahead of training. They're clueless what that little switch does, it sounds the same to them in the clear or secure. When they figure it out all you'll hear is a drunken Donald Duck.

Let the speculation and argument begin but remember; I may not always be right but I'm never wrong. (Or at least that's how the falling encryption dominoes have proved me so far.)

xpawel15x

Elizabeth's channel 2 is encrypted? But they're analog.. I thought only digital frequencies can be encrypted. I'm propably wrong, so correct me please.

gcr33

Don't know where you got that idea. Anything can be encrypted. Motorola currently only supports encryption on digital at this point; however you can have aftermarket in different levels of encryption such as rolling code, voice inversion etc. Many agencies from the FEDS were analog with encryption, several PD's are. Some units in a PD run encryption.

Elizabeth's channel 2 is encrypted? But they're analog.. I thought only digital frequencies can be encrypted. I'm propably wrong, so correct me please.

W2SJW

Database Admin
Listen to this from my web page - is that what it sounds like?

DVP-XL is the most common current form of encryption used on analog...

SCPD

QRT
Jefferson PD in Morris County uses encryption on low band 45MHz. They switch it on/off when they need to. Especially for coffee runs!

kb2vxa

Banned
Yup, too much will give you coffee runs. "They switch it on/off when they need to." That's what the Imodium A-D switch does.

Grog

Banned
Don't know where you got that idea. Anything can be encrypted. Motorola currently only supports encryption on digital at this point; however you can have aftermarket in different levels of encryption such as rolling code, voice inversion etc. Many agencies from the FEDS were analog with encryption, several PD's are. Some units in a PD run encryption.

You can buy radios that will do encryption in analog to this day, they love to make money off of anyone whether they are using analog or digital.

epdret

From what I do know, a new consolidated dispatch center was built into the new EFD HQ on Irvington Ave. Somewhere down the line, ALL PD, FD and Ambo dispatching will be performed in this center by civilians supervised by EPD Sgts.

Some firemen have been trained to fill in here when civilian manpower is low due to illness, vacations etc.

There is already one VHF Channel (EPD #3) that has some typ of encryption for use by undercover units.

epdret

Yes! Worked with all 3 of them. Spoke to Eddie just last week.

Eddie and Ray still in Eliz and Sharpshooter Ron is in Mass.

What section were you from? I went to School #19 on Edgar Rd., moved out in '65 and returned to Eliz in 1971 after graduating from a neighboring HS.

Highpockets

Yes! Worked with all 3 of them. Spoke to Eddie just last week.

Eddie and Ray still in Eliz and Sharpshooter Ron is in Mass.

What section were you from? I went to School #19 on Edgar Rd., moved out in '65 and returned to Eliz in 1971 after graduating from a neighboring HS.

I'll PM you, do you know how to use it?

Status
Not open for further replies.