• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Is FRS/GMRS the new Citizens band ?

AZPatriot53

No sadly its becoming a ham lite service and not CB. For some reason people feel the need to rag chew on repeaters for hours a day. Its been frustrating for users who have been on GMRS for decades using it for what it was intended for...

in the 4x4 world it is replacing CB for jeep to jeep trail comms
What, in your opinion is its intended purpose? As long as emergency traffic is allowed to break in, I don't see the problem.

IC-R20

LoBand Nation
Always has been other than small groups of LARPing whackers. 🔫

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
GMRS was for private communications between families and friends. Not rag chewing for hours and having nets nightly on it. It was never intended to be ham radio but is rapidly becoming that way. No way to change it just not what it was ever intended for. On the same topic anyone that gets a GMRS license thinks they can use any repeater they want. Thats never been the case either. I feel marketing is part of the issue but again nothing any of us can change.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
GMRS was for private communications between families and friends. Not rag chewing for hours and having nets nightly on it. It was never intended to be ham radio but is rapidly becoming that way. No way to change it just not what it was ever intended for. On the same topic anyone that gets a GMRS license thinks they can use any repeater they want. Thats never been the case either. I feel marketing is part of the issue but again nothing any of us can change.
Are most of the offenders, for lack of a better word, amateur radio licensees that have applied ham radio rules to GMRS?

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
Are most of the offenders, for lack of a better word, amateur radio licensees that have applied ham radio rules to GMRS?
I think it may vary by region. This is a frequent topic on the mygmrs forums, and some posters are quick to state that the offenders are hams. That could very well be the case, but in my area most (if not all) of the ragchewers are NOT hams. And yes, I know that for sure.

It's obvious to me that there are people/organizations/web sites/groups/aliens/whoever out there that are promoting GMRS as something other than what the FCC thinks it should be, including the idea that it's "ham lite". Over on mygmrs there are several posts every week from people who got their license and bought a radio and don't understand why they can't find anyone to talk to or have found out there is no local repeater and want to set up their own.

I don't see anything in Part 95 E that *forbids* rag-chewing on GMRS, but that certainly doesn't match the stated purpose.

This is over-simplified but I think true:

- Amateur radio you get your license, buy a radio, and talk to random people
- GMRS you get your license, buy a radio, and talk to people you already know while you are doing some other activity

That distinction has been lost, I'm afraid.

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
Exactly. I'm sure there are some non hams in my area who rag chew, but most of them I'll hear on 2M in the AM then after dinner on GMRS with the same conversation. They are also the ones pushing linking and wanting to modify their CCR to talk on GMRS. I think GMRS users should just start throwing up repeaters on 440 and using them, but that just opens an entire other argument on the value of amateur frequencies...

rescuecomm

Same thing happened in my local area. Guys decided to open the two repeaters to hobby operations without adding extra PLs for those of us not wanting to hear all of it. Now there is more people asking for radio checks or giving their callsigns on GMRS than on the more numerous 440 ham repeaters. Not my repeaters so it is what it is.

WRAE660

This thread is the first I've seen the link myGMRS.com Network, and I have been a member of mygmrs.com for years. I've ignored the linking since I want to use the service for local discussion. Take a look at the main website myGMRS.com: GMRS Repeater Directory and Community you can see a map of the repeaters around the country. I'm in Western Washington and we have a very robust group of GMRS repeaters that cover the area with local GMRS users.

WX9RLT

Ham, Scanners, GMRS
Be thankful GMRS is active where you are.

I got my license, and no one talks on GMRS around my area.

pentafed

Premium Subscriber
Be thankful GMRS is active where you are.

I got my license, and no one talks on GMRS around my area.
I recently programmed an old Baofeng UV5R I've had kicking around for a decade, with a handful of GMRS frequencies and hear nothing around Greater Boston. I was surprised, as this area has a lot of radio geeks. May be just the cheap radio, I dunno. It has a decent Nagoya antenna on it.

To the thread topic, not sure why anyone would be surprised that GMRS would be used like CB. It's essentially in the same category as CB. It's basically CB on steroids.

The_NotARubicon

GMRS Hobo To The Stars aka Randolpho (Randy) Cafe
GMRS is very active here in Southern California cities - all the repeater frequencies are jammed and fairly active and there is always simplex traffic. But once I get out into the desert/mountains while off-roading, its fairly quite - I set my radio to scan all channels and dont hear much other than the occasional off-roaders.

KG7PBS

In the Chicagoland area, and 17 stories up, I can hear 4 pairs of the mwgmrs.com links. At first, I thought it was a good novelty, but yes, it has gotten OLD. If you want to link, link FAR AWAY states with 1 or 2 pairs instead of tying up all the pairs in a region. And let's not talk about the fools who want to run digital....GEEEEEZZZZZZZ
I am sorry you think Digital is a foolish. It’s ok I know you Analog people can’t expect change. Look we are not trying to change you. But we are trying to enhance communications on a more broader scope.

slowmover

CB (HF) has the advantages: no need of repeaters (though possible), and greatest distance potential besides being nearly ubiquitous.

Other services might become alike to the way CB is today perceived, but that’s because use is currently a joke. With the exception of travelers (mainly truck drivers), there’s no income or safety cards on the table.

Digital is the weakest link and barely worth exploring.

The day that changes — that a man needs his own means — will shake out what’s most valuable on a per-service basis: communication with strangers.

I’ve no use at present for FRS/GMRS. CB already covers what’s currently possible.

The future leaves open other possibilities.

Bootyhunter

Lol, like memorizing the question pool for a ham test makes you somehow superior??? Comical!! I have been a ham since 1995, was into CB since I was a kid in the late seventies early 80's, still use CB, Ham, Frs, Gmrs, Murs, and just recently picked up some Motorola DTR radios. They all have a place and purpose, they ALL are useful, they ALL CAN AND ARE ABUSED. Dont blame the mhz the radio is on, blame the moron keying the radio. I get so sick of "Hams" trying to force everyone to "get a ham license" no matter what question is asked, or what the purpose of the radio is. They think Ham radio is the end all, be all to 2 way radio communications. I use Ham some, but I use the other services mentioned above as much or more, depending on what Im doing and who Im doing it with. You sound jealous talking about Gmrs having clubs and nets. Both I think are great, another way for folks to hone their radio skills and nets are very useful as you should know being a ham. I am General Class by the way, I enjoy 2 way radio, I dont feel one is a superior service. If Im on the road and need something, cb 19 will likely be much more useful than a ham repeater. If Im outside with a group clearing some brush, Murs is great, and folks licensed and unlicensed alike can communicate. Climb down off that Ham pedestal and embrace folks knowing how to use a 2 way radio. The day is coming that it will be a very valuable and necessary skill, not just for "funsies".
Apparently GMRS thinks it's the new Ham they are doing nets having meetings starting clubs.. For $35 you too can get on the air no test needed..

Reactions: 601

N9EXR66

Senior Member OMIK
I am sorry you think Digital is a foolish. It’s ok I know you Analog people can’t expect change. Look we are not trying to change you. But we are trying to enhance communications on a more broader scope.
OBVIOUSLY you've never been in the top 10 cities while scanning the 8 pairs....OBVIOUSLY!!!!!!!!

N9EXR66

Senior Member OMIK
OBVIOUSLY you've never been in the top 10 cities while scanning the 8 pairs....OBVIOUSLY!!!!!!!!
Oh, and not to hijack the thread, there is a thread that's FIFTEEN pages long in regards to digital on GMRS. Let it go, dude...LET IT GO!!!!!!!

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
Lol, like memorizing the question pool for a ham test makes you somehow superior??? Comical!! I have been a ham since 1995, was into CB since I was a kid in the late seventies early 80's, still use CB, Ham, Frs, Gmrs, Murs, and just recently picked up some Motorola DTR radios. They all have a place and purpose, they ALL are useful, they ALL CAN AND ARE ABUSED. Dont blame the mhz the radio is on, blame the moron keying the radio. I get so sick of "Hams" trying to force everyone to "get a ham license" no matter what question is asked, or what the purpose of the radio is. They think Ham radio is the end all, be all to 2 way radio communications. I use Ham some, but I use the other services mentioned above as much or more, depending on what Im doing and who Im doing it with. You sound jealous talking about Gmrs having clubs and nets. Both I think are great, another way for folks to hone their radio skills and nets are very useful as you should know being a ham. I am General Class by the way, I enjoy 2 way radio, I dont feel one is a superior service. If Im on the road and need something, cb 19 will likely be much more useful than a ham repeater. If Im outside with a group clearing some brush, Murs is great, and folks licensed and unlicensed alike can communicate. Climb down off that Ham pedestal and embrace folks knowing how to use a 2 way radio. The day is coming that it will be a very valuable and necessary skill, not just for "funsies".
Sorry my Opinon stands... I am not a Ham, I will never be but work in the Two way industry where now GMRS people are coming to my shop asking for free help and equipment because to them its a hobby. GMRS was never intended to be a hobby.

Bootyhunter

Sorry my Opinon stands... I am not a Ham, I will never be but work in the Two way industry where now GMRS people are coming to my shop asking for free help and equipment because to them its a hobby. GMRS was never intended to be a hobby.
GMRS was created as an fm UHF Citizens Band. So it was intended the same as hf CB, and it for sure is a hobby.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
GMRS was created as an fm UHF Citizens Band. So it was intended the same as hf CB, and it for sure is a hobby.
It was classified as a "citizens band". I think Class B CB, if I recall correctly. Not exactly the same as GMRS is now, but UHF and similar setup.
It was intended as a radio service for families and small businesses (not unlike CB). Up until the late 1990's, businesses could apply for and get a GMRS license. If you go digging through the FCC database, you'll still find some "grandfathered" business licenses. We still have a few at work. The licenses used to show "Waivers/Conditions: A non-individual licensee may operate only on the channel(s) that have been assigned to your station. This license authorizes use of the following channel(s) only:….)
Up until a few years ago, there was a local towing company in my area on GMRS (Legally) and even had a repeater for dispatching their trucks.

It wasn't intended to be anything more than a better version of CB. The lack of ability to easily get radios, and the high price of those back in the day, really kept GMRS as a bit of a niche solution for those that really needed it.
"Hobby" would have been stretching it a few years ago. The radios were, and still are, limited in what you can do with them. Linking wasn't really permitted until recently, not that it stopped anyone. Business users were not using it as a hobby. Most users were just families or small businesses that needed a basic radio service free of all the nonsense on 27MHz CB radios.

There were certainly were those that made it a hobby. I think saying the FCC intended it to be a hobby radio service would be stretching it.

Bootyhunter

It was classified as a "citizens band". I think Class B CB, if I recall correctly. Not exactly the same as GMRS is now, but UHF and similar setup.
It was intended as a radio service for families and small businesses (not unlike CB). Up until the late 1990's, businesses could apply for and get a GMRS license. If you go digging through the FCC database, you'll still find some "grandfathered" business licenses. We still have a few at work. The licenses used to show "Waivers/Conditions: A non-individual licensee may operate only on the channel(s) that have been assigned to your station. This license authorizes use of the following channel(s) only:….)
Up until a few years ago, there was a local towing company in my area on GMRS (Legally) and even had a repeater for dispatching their trucks.

It wasn't intended to be anything more than a better version of CB. The lack of ability to easily get radios, and the high price of those back in the day, really kept GMRS as a bit of a niche solution for those that really needed it.
"Hobby" would have been stretching it a few years ago. The radios were, and still are, limited in what you can do with them. Linking wasn't really permitted until recently, not that it stopped anyone. Business users were not using it as a hobby. Most users were just families or small businesses that needed a basic radio service free of all the nonsense on 27MHz CB radios.

There were certainly were those that made it a hobby. I think saying the FCC intended it to be a hobby radio service would be stretching it.
True, but CB was for the same purposes "citizens radio band to be used for personal and business communications". The Fcc didn't ever intend it as a hobby either. Ham radio is the band intended as a hobby, but people do what people do.