Is Home Patrol Extreme Update Really Needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

darticus

Wanted the simple super scanner. Does this Extreme Update turn the HP into a monster? Is it really needed and if not do we need to upgrade sentinel anyway??? I have the original sentinel that we downloaded last Xmas 2010. Thanks Ron

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Wanted the simple super scanner. Does this Extreme Update turn the HP into a monster? Is it really needed and if not do we need to upgrade sentinel anyway??? I have the original sentinel that we downloaded last Xmas 2010. Thanks Ron

The Update is free and assures that your scanner continues to operate properly. Why wouldn't you want this?

Uniden does charge for the Upgrade. Is it needed? Well, do you want or need those features.

If not save your money.

The Home Patrol is a great product and I believe will set the standard for all future scanners.

markab

Extreme video

Hi Darticus,
If you do a search on utube you'll find several videos there produced by Uniden that go over all of the features that Extreme offers.

Mark

darticus

Thanks guys! I just don't want to screw up the HP with something I do wrong. I'll update the Sentinal and see if it works ok. I'll check out Utube. Thanks Ron

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Just depends on how Extreme you want to get :D

I love the fact that I not only have a great scanner....with the Extreme Feature Set I also now have a Trunking Analysis logging tool (ala Trunk88/Unitrunker/Pro96Com), an LCN Finder for EDACS & LTR systems, a Bandscope, and all of the other goodies.

It is worth it to me to not have to carry around a Netbook or laptop for the Trunking Analysis logging aspect. :):cool:

That is what makes the HP-1 so great: You can stay simple with it and only do the basics or go Extreme and get features not available in any other Scanner on the market.
Marshall KE4ZNR

bfpdb

The Extreme isnt worth it to me, I got in on the prelease price and it does nothing for me, the HP is a Very over priced scanner IMHO

OCO

The Extreme isnt worth it to me, I got in on the prelease price and it does nothing for me, the HP is a Very over priced scanner IMHO

Are you saying that it doesn't deliver the features promised or the features delivered are overpriced? Can you come up with another vendor's unit/software combination that matches feature for feature? Uniden provided lot's of information on the Extreme upgrade while there was still time to decide whether or not to buy it, so I don't understand anyone carping about the price or features of the upgrade..

I've had my HP1 since July, have time to spend exploring and still find new features. Can't wait for the next release.:D

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Are you saying that it doesn't deliver the features promised or the features delivered are overpriced? Can you come up with another vendor's unit/software combination that matches feature for feature? Uniden provided lot's of information on the Extreme upgrade while there was still time to decide whether or not to buy it, so I don't understand anyone carping about the price or features of the upgrade..

I've had my HP1 since July, have time to spend exploring and still find new features. Can't wait for the next release.:D

OCO brings up some good questions.
Of course I hope bfpdb comes back to answer the above questions...though I can't help but feel his answer was a "hit and run" type of post. I hope not though.
I would really like to see why he feels the HP is overpriced. Base package price for the HP1 is the same as any other current digital scanner on the market and with the Extreme Features it is heads & shoulders above any other scanner on the market.
But to each their own I guess. :)
Happy Monitoring to all!
Marshall KE4ZNR

Last edited:

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber

Just curious why you spent your money on it given your opinion of the features that it offered? The capabilities were clearly spelled out by Uniden from the start for both the base level, and the upgrade level.

Were you hoping that there were features in it that weren't advertised when you purchased it?

rwier

At this time about 13 months ago, I had never been able to receive/decode/listen to transmissions (for more than 5 seconds duration) on the RWC Phoenix Police frequencies. Now I am able to line up a 500, a 600, an 800, and the HP-1(E) in front of me, and watch as ALL 4 lock on for the duration of the transmission. This would not have been possible without the features of the Extreme Upgrade to the HP-1. These are analytic features that show actual facts by meter device. As an aside, I can say without a doubt, that statements on forums such as:

"I put each radio up side by side and Brand*** whooped Brand*** hands down"

are completely bogus and without merit. With the HP-1(E) as arbitrator (lol), and all radios fed by a single antenna, if one radio is not performing equal to the other three, the user (that's me) has not satisfactorily tweaked the possible settings. When you get the settings correct, it is unbelievable to watch, all four radios lock on, and off, at (almost, less than 1/4 second difference) the same time.

This has resulted in each (any?) radio being able to decode 95%-98% of available transmissions on any desired TG in the RWC Phx PD. 13 months ago this percentage (for me) was no more than 20%. The extra cost of the "E" has paid for it's self (for me) many times over, as an analytic device!!!

Last edited:

rwier

And I should add, the HP-1(E) will also spot bad connectors (lots of connectors...and spaghetti wires) when you have four scanners operating from one antenna. Very important..It might look like a particular scanner is inferior, but once you get EVERYTHING correct, they all shine beyond your wildest dreams, lol.

rwier

Also "which is the best antenna for your situation?" No need to ask forum experts (lol), check them out for yourself! The HP-1 (E) makes it easy!!!

Last edited:

E-Man

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I can say without a doubt, that statements on forums such as:

"I put each radio up side by side and Brand*** whooped Brand*** hands down"

are completely bogus and without merit.

I disagree with your statement, I do not doubt your results at your location, but that is not the results I have found at my location.

Granted I have not, and have no plans to make a scientific comparison, but my RS 197 and HP-1 are using the same antenna (each using its own) (also they are not programed identical either)

My findings are my RS 197 requires no tweaking, both analog and digital sound great. My Hp-1 requires tweaking on analog, some channels are to loud and others are to quiet, the digital ones seem to breakup at times as well.

I do not own a GRE 800, but IMO from the video's I have seen, it appears the 800 has it beat for simplicity, while the price difference is not a issue with me, I do not think there is any argument that the 800 is cheaper. (Amazon was selling it for $419.00, just checked and its currently at $456.00)

I still like my HP-1 and think it is a good unit, and look forward to new firmware. but I kinda side with the over hyped and over rated crowd, because of my results at my location.

OCO

Before this turns into another "I love my GRE 800 thread" ....the question is whether the HP1 Extreme Edition is worth the money, posted in the Uniden forum. (and if you don't understand the comment, check some of the other recent threads - including the one where at least 15 of 40 comments were about off topic GRE comments and sales of RS products in a Uniden thread.).

Baskt_Case

Back to OP:

Long story short, yes, firmware update is necessary to fully enjoy the HP-1. Whether you purchase "Extreme" or not, you still need to update the firmware. The OP sounds a little apprehensive about the process, maybe concerned they will jack the scanner during the process. It is pretty painless though. He/she is going to want to do this soon, as there is yet newer firmware on the way in the coming weeks.

E-Man

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Before this turns into another "I love my GRE 800 thread" ....the question is whether the HP1 Extreme Edition is worth the money, posted in the Uniden forum. (and if you don't understand the comment, check some of the other recent threads - including the one where at least 15 of 40 comments were about off topic GRE comments and sales of RS products in a Uniden thread.).

You are right, but I can read (went to school with Jef lol) it was not my intent to change the coarse of this thread, just responding to other comments sorry. Im done.

OCO

You are right, but I can read (went to school with Jef lol) it was not my intent to change the coarse of this thread, just responding to other comments sorry. Im done.
Actually it wasn't yours, it was the 15 ready to go after the mere mention of the 800....sorry for the grump act..:(

Bob_61

No, It reads as a I love my HP-1 ! Which will be one of my next scanners so don't get me wrong on my wise crack! Just take it in stride....:twisted:
I can't wait for all the pretty colors! And of course the different features! :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.