• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Is ICOM the only Mobile Aviation VHF radio available?

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
I was trying to not be dumb or lazy.....but we got quoted $1600CAD each to install IC-A120.

I have searched around but do not see any real options in a 500 dollar range other than hand held.

Anybody have a good idea for Mobile Aircraft VHF in the 5 to 6 hundred range?

Thanks for any suggestions.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
Pretty sure none exist in that price range. They are all around $1000. I did see a A120 for $895 a couple days ago at pilotshop.com. That's still $1200 CAD. $500 is not going to happen unless maybe you can find something used.

Mr_Boh

In fairness, I have seen an aviation radio installed in a vehicle. If I had a significant amount of disposable income, you'd probably catch me doing that. Even ICOM themselves make a version of the A220, which is typically designed to be mounted in an aircraft panel, with a kit that could make it easily dash mounted with external speaker and handheld mic.

This is just my perspective - but the market is very limited for such a product - basically just public safety that interacts with an airport regularly (and most of those are finding other ways to talk to ATC) and potentially some ground support. If you are looking to listen, any old scanner seems to pick up aircraft AM as well as anything else out there - most of your performance for AM is gained through good RF noise control and good antenna placement.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber

JimD56

KO9JAD/Fire Lieutenant/Paramedic
Feed Provider
I just sold my ICOM IC-A6 Handheld Aviation Transcicever BUT the way I ran it as mobile was the "drop-in" charger plugged into the lighter. The drop-in charger was held on my console by velcro neat, and unseen. Ran an external antenna into the BNC antenna connector. Did all this for less than $350 NEW a few years ago.

WB9YBM

I was trying to not be dumb or lazy.....but we got quoted $1600CAD each to install IC-A120.

I have searched around but do not see any real options in a 500 dollar range other than hand held.

It would be unusual if there were only one manufacturer making such a radio. References like "Sporty's Pilot Shop" (and I'm sure there are other stores out there) or an aviation magazine might provide additional details.

krokus

Premium Subscriber

Is this for an aircraft? If not, there are non-TSO version of the A-220 available. If it is for an aircraft, then you must use a TSO model. (FWIW, the 120 less money than the 220.)

majoco

Stirrer
Is this for an aircraft? If not, there are non-TSO version of the A-220 available. If it is for an aircraft, then you must use a TSO model. (FWIW, the 120 less money than the 220.)
What krokus said. If you want to install anything in an aircraft, it has to be 'type certified' and installed by a licensed aircraft engineer to a set of drawings by the manufacturer of the radio and pertinent to the aircraft that it's being fitted to. It's not the radio you're paying for, it's the expertise and all the traceability that goes with it. Even when we drove around the airport with an aircraft band transceiver fitted into the vehicle, it had to be TSO'd - because we were talking to aircraft and to the tower and had to meet the same specs as the guys we were talking to - that means no spurious emissions, no image reception, no strong signal problems and get tested every six months or so to make sure that the specs are still met - including the antenna VSWR and the microphone/headset that goes with it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.