• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Is IP over simplex DMR possible with NX-5000 series?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rural_radio

¿Por qué no Ø?
I saw a demo of Motorola XPR series handhelds and mobiles being used as (4800bps) ethernet adapters for use out of mobile phone coverage or in the wake of a hurricane when cell towers were down. The Moto dealer kept pushing the fact that you could send data from any app as long as you understood the 4800bps speed limitations.

Does Kenwood offer anything like this? My local dealer didn't seem to think it was possible, but I know I'm going to get asked about it by everyone else who saw the Moto demo.

rural_radio

¿Por qué no Ø?
I'd have to dig into the manuals, but I know it's possible with NXDN. 4800bps for 6.25KHz channels and 9600bps for 12.5KHz channels.
Thanks, mmckenna!

NXDN would be fine, as our radios are currently programmed for P25 and NXDN. Any idea what options or cables I would need, or what Kenwood calls it in the manuals?

The only mention I could find was talking about integrating with dispatch consoles, but it wasn't specific about how to do it.

Last edited:

bdbrennan

No, the NX-5000s do not support IP bearer services. No BT PAN or LAN connections to the radios. Transparent data is for serial data connections.

rural_radio

¿Por qué no Ø?
No, the NX-5000s do not support IP bearer services. No BT PAN or LAN connections to the radios. Transparent data is for serial data connections.
bdbrennan,
It's a shame it can't do native IP, but I'm hoping I'll be able to make a PPP connection, or depending on the use case, use socat to redirect a single port over the serial, so long as I can send arbitrary data.

If anyone's already using this feature, I'd like to hear about it.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
bdbrennan,
It's a shame it can't do native IP, but I'm hoping I'll be able to make a PPP connection, or depending on the use case, use socat to redirect a single port over the serial, so long as I can send arbitrary data.

If anyone's already using this feature, I'd like to hear about it.

I've used it for point to point data. It works.

No, it's not native IP, but that's easy enough to convert.

rural_radio

¿Por qué no Ø?
While I'm waiting on my dealer to get back with me, I've tried it out with a couple of portables NX-5200, but I'm not having any luck getting them to transmit. I know I must be missing something obvious.

In KPG-D1N, I've assigned the com port (COM Port 0 in the case of the portables) the function "Transparent (Digital)", as normal polarity, 1 stop bit, 9600 baud, and no flow control.

I set both radios to a NXDN conventional channel. When I connect the data cable to the radio, I'm able to use PuTTY to connect to the serial port, and the TX light on my data cable flashes whenever I press a key, but the radio never transmits anything.

I tried the same thing with a Raspberry Pi, both using socat and just using the command line to echo strings of text to ttyUSB0, and while I don't get serial port errors, the radio never seems to transmit.

I don't see anything in the Zone or Channel settings that look likes it would need to be set. Can anyone suggest anything else to check?

R22Beta

This is a long shot, but I noticed when I have option checked in KPG-D1N "Transmit Clear Alert Tone" (Under Encryption) then when I key the transmitter I get a single flash on the TX LED and then it goes out and the radio stops transmitting.

I rebuilt a program from scratch enabling options one at a time until I recreated the error to figure that out.

Maybe start from scratch and enable options one at a time until you can recreate the transmitting issue?

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
I use D-RATS to send data.
I proved this concept during the 1st year of NXDN, and send files and text over NXDN.
Might crawl Yahoo groups for my article I did back 12 years ago with an NX-800, over IP to K1IFF in
CT. So, I do know it will send data over IP from site to site.
Have I done it since then, no, but was pretty straight forward.
Transparent mode yes, and using the DB25 to DB9 and win7 running D-Rats. (Yes I know its for D-Star, but it works)

Status
Not open for further replies.