Is it legal to listen to a scanner while driving in Washington state?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pro94Pdx

Premium Subscriber
I'm from Oregon, where scanners are legal in your vehicle, and no permit or HAM license is required to listen. I'll be in Washington state for a while soon, though, and wanted to be sure I'm legal listening while on the road. If you reply to this and happen to know the source of your information - for example, if you can cite the law number, etc - that would be great, for added certainty. Otherwise, if you have recent experience driving with your scanner in the state, please let me know if you've ever encountered any problems with law enforcement saying it's a no-no.... or, for that matter, with law enforcement telling you it's fine. Or, even better, if you ARE an officer in Washington and are reading this now, and can tell me for sure one way or the other, that's even better.

I don't want to risk a ticket. :)

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
If you get pulled over they may or may not ask question your scanner. If they do, no big deal. Tell them you're a hobbyist and bid them a good day.

lowboy654

DB Admin Member
Database Admin
You can use it in your car here, but I would turn it down if you get pulled over, the last time I got pulled over back in the 80's they asked about it no big deal.

scannerizer

Premium Subscriber
I also take my scanner occassionally when I have the chance to find a frequency or two and never once got pulled over so appearantly they don't care. Now if you were trying to carjack or hold up a store or street, then they might get personal and start checking you out.

SCPD

QRT
I'm from Oregon, where scanners are legal in your vehicle, and no permit or HAM license is required to listen. I'll be in Washington state for a while soon, though, and wanted to be sure I'm legal listening while on the road.

It's 100% legal in WA state.

lowboy654

DB Admin Member
Database Admin
In WA state, while it's not listed in the criminal code, it's consider to be an "aggravated circumstance" to use a police scanner in the commission of a crime. If a jury deems it justified, then the exceptional sentence can be imposed.
I for one have never liked the word's police scanner, it can do so much more, A police scanner by definition limits it to just that, mine can do much more.

SCPD

QRT
I for one have never liked the word's police scanner, it can do so much more, A police scanner by definition limits it to just that, mine can do much more.

I agree Ken. It's very ambiguous. You could commit a crime at a local business by monitoring their radio communications. Isn't that the same thing..? (Presuming it could be proven of course...)

chpalmer

Is it legal to listen to a scanner while driving in Washington state?

No- because-

attachment.php

Attachments

• kern.jpg
    kern.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 3,208
Status
Not open for further replies.