Is it legal to run a wire over a street?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you have your wire attached on the other side of the road. On your side have a guy wire connected to the wire then over a tall tree branch way in the back of your property. At that branch is where you attach a brick to the guy wire so that if the wire breaks/tree falls or whatever, the brick hurls to the ground at the speed of sound, pulling your wire back and out of the way of onlookers... Nobody's the wiser...
Just sayin'...

RFI-EMI-GUY

So you have your wire attached on the other side of the road. On your side have a guy wire connected to the wire then over a tall tree branch way in the back of your property. At that branch is where you attach a brick to the guy wire so that if the wire breaks/tree falls or whatever, the brick hurls to the ground at the speed of sound, pulling your wire back and out of the way of onlookers... Nobody's the wiser...
Just sayin'...
A brick being "hurled at the speed of sound" might be quite noticeable. Apart from the sonic boom, the impact on glass or someones head might draw lawyers.

You forget the ruckus out in the front yard? You know, the reason brick in the back yard is hurling towards the ground? Yeah, me's thinks that may be what's focused on... And if someone is standing in the back yard, under that tree, at that very moment... I just can't believe that would be a thing...

Oh and because you don't know... A sonic boom will not happen until you go faster than the speed of sound... And if what you wrote were true, we'd all be deaf before the moment of birth...

From NASA: A sonic boom is a thunder-like noise a person on the ground hears when an aircraft or other type of aerospace vehicle flies overhead faster than the speed of sound, or “supersonic.”

I do believe that also pertains to bricks falling at the speed of sound too...
Just sayin'

prcguy

The speed of sound is about 1,110 feet/second at sea level and a brick has a terminal velocity in atmosphere that could never reach that speed. Can't believe the thread is not closed and that the OP doesn't have his wire safely run across the road and is now on the air telling his friends what silly things people have said about his post on RR.

A brick being "hurled at the speed of sound" might be quite noticeable. Apart from the sonic boom, the impact on glass or someones head might draw lawyers.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
The utilities and cable companies that run wires usually also pay a franchise fee to the government.

There have been all kinds of suggestions on how to do it but there have been more recommendations that you don't. I'm siding with the latter.

RFI-EMI-GUY

When I was about 10, a freind and I ran a wire from my house to his, about half a block. We had some sort of ringer coil with a quarter mile of fine gauge cloth covered wire and somehow managed to throw it over the existing phone cable on the poles and get that single unbalanced strand from house A to House B.

The result was that it was a very noisy circuit which was not helped by my biasing it with an unfiltered DC Lionel transformer the return was the water line, or was it the gas line, yeah the black steel gas line....

My friend's Dad worked for RCA and as soon as he got word, my freind was sent out to coil it all up. He reported small shocks and burns as he did so.

So probably not a good idea in practice.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, but I'll bet that you would try it again if you thought you could get away with it. :)

Tim-B

When I was about 10, a freind and I ran a wire from my house to his, about half a block. We had some sort of ringer coil with a quarter mile of fine gauge cloth covered wire and somehow managed to throw it over the existing phone cable on the poles and get that single unbalanced strand from house A to House B.

The result was that it was a very noisy circuit which was not helped by my biasing it with an unfiltered DC Lionel transformer the return was the water line, or was it the gas line, yeah the black steel gas line....

My friend's Dad worked for RCA and as soon as he got word, my freind was sent out to coil it all up. He reported small shocks and burns as he did so.

So probably not a good idea in practice.

Sooo many things to consider. Electricity doth work in mysterious ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.