Is it ok to leave scanner on all day?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbm

I have over 42 scanners that have never been turned off. (Other than power outages.)

At least 10 of them are the newer Uniden models (BCD996(xt), BCD396(xt), BCT15)

The only ones I turn off, are some of the hand held scanners that I run with batteries instead of wall adapters.

If they wouldn't run 24/7, I wouldn't want them.

Edit: In fact, my online feed has been running on RR and elsewhere using a BCT15 since they first came out. It's never been off.
(Except during short power outages. During longer outages, it runs on generator power. As long as my ISP is up, the feed is up.)

Last edited:

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
News organizations and fire stations leave them on 24/7 for decades. What provoked your question? Power usage/cost is minimal.

wmlovell

Premium Subscriber
42 Scanners!!!! <...bows to the Master>

Do you have them actually scanning or are they all monitoring their own separate single frequencies or talk groups?

So how many antennas does one need to utilize 42 scanners?

You have a pic? I'd like to see this setup.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I have had a BC250D operating for at least 2 years continuously with only a power off/on quickly to reset it once or maybe twice.

MotoMoMo

Do you have them actually scanning or are they all monitoring their own separate single frequencies or talk groups?

Yes I would like to see that set-up as well. I have a hard enough time listening to my 996xt and an internet feed at the same time but I'm sure I will get used to it.

mrkelso

I have 7 that are on 24/7 and have been on for months now. They are also protected by APC so they stay on even in a power failure.

rbm

Yes, they're all scanning.
Most are in my den, but several are scattered throughout the house so as I move around there's some continuity. ;-)

I come by it honestly.
I've worked in RF for eons.
(You're aware of many of the projects I've worked on, but some projects I can't mention, and the rest, I'd rather not. ;-)
With a hiatus as a software engineer for a long enough period of time to allow me to retire from that career and afford to do RF work again.
This time for fun and to get paid for doing my hobby.
And, it now supports my hobby. ;-)
It's 'almost' (but not quite) the kind of work where they don't even have to pay me, just let me show up! ;-)

I have six antennas. (Nothing exciting about any of them.)
Using nine amplifiers (currently)
With six multi-couplers.
(those counts may be off a little, it varies)

One antenna feeds 32 scanners. I consider them my 'workhorse' scanners. (This is the antenna used for my online feed also)
They have most of the day to day stuff in them. A number of them log 24/7
Usually one agency or so per scanner.
ie: State Police, Medevac, milair(3), satcom etc.(2), local airport (BGM) arrival, departure, ground control etc.
Tactical and other important frequencies are in multiple scanners.

I have two Icom IC-R7000's that each have their own antenna (and amplifiers)

The other antennas feed multiple scanners for various frequencies and purposes.

As for photos:
My main radio area is very active and isn't pretty. So, it would be embarrassing to have photos of the way it looks right now. I keep thinking some day I'll clean it up all nice and pretty for photos but I haven't gotten around to that yet.
I've limited my photos to specific items that people have asked about on the forums.

jobes

Feed Provider
Well he said scanners...well now 2-ways:D

What!?!? Only 4 scanners!? What are you, some sort of slacker!? {VBE GRIN!} There are at least 9 scanners running 24/7/365 here. {CHORTLE!}

Just an `Olde Fart's' 2¢ worth. {SNICKER!}

dd364

When most electronic things break it's when it's first turned on.Once it's on and everything is warmed up it works fine. Similar to a light bulb.

K8TEK

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I have a tapped PRO-2006 hooked to a Mini-ITX computer running TRUNK88 exclusively. It is hooked to an APC SMT750 UPS. In the last two years, the scanner has been down for maybe 2 hours for me to move it and reroute the wires. It will be ok, scanners are made to be used. Just make sure you don't bury it under a bunch of trash and it is getting adequate ventilation, even though it will be less of an issue with a BCD996XT then it is for a PRO-2006 since it uses an external transformer/rectifier.

K8TEK

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9630/5.0.0.571 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

eaf1956 said:
OMG you mean you can turn scanners ON? I thought you just looked at em! lol

With the new multi colored backlit screens, some would think that is the case.

Viper43

Using one of these DLI 16 channel multicouplers you can run 16 receivers from 1 antenna. I'm about to get a second one. Wideband RF Multicoupler - 16 Radios, Surge Protected, 50 Ohm

V

Status
Not open for further replies.