• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Is it possible to modify a VHF XTS5000 to go down to 134.000?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOTD

I have a requirement for some Motorola XTS5000 digital radio's with encryption capability. It would be nice if they could be a VHF model that went down to 134.000 or a bit lower. I'm not a master of the art of the possible with these things, I've used them on and off for years but I'm an End User, not a Techie. Is it even possible for these things to be modified to receive lower than 136.000? Giving up the equivalent range off the top end would be fine if that's how that works, if that works.

The frequency reception question notwithstanding, does anyone have recommendations for a supplier? "Check eBay" is not helpful. I need these units ready to run, encrypt programmed already. They only need to talk to each other. I need a reliable supplier who can get this done on a short time frame.

If there are other serious, "that price range" options that allow VHF reception down to 134.000 or below, ( TX not necessary) can scam programmed freq's and are encryptable, I'd appreciate the guidance.

BOTD

No, not for use in the United States. I needed to go down to 134.000 if that was possible for that unit to do that. had a feeling I knew the answer but as I say, not my area, so I ask, right?

So, the request for a supplier stands....

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Yeah, there's a good reason they don't go down that low.

If you need aircraft communications via FM, then there are plenty of military radios that will do this. I'm hoping your are military, as no civilian should be operating down there on FM and you'd need to have the proper licensing from the FCC (if you are in the USA) to transmit down there.

But maybe we're all missing the point. Giving us some more details might help...

BOTD

Don' t need to be able to transmit, just receive down to 134.000

I'm thinking that's not going to happen as far as mod'ing XTS5000's to be able to receive that so if f we could move on to reliable suppliers of ready to go XTS 5000's that would be really helpful. Appreciate the responses so far.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

The signal you want to receive down there, is it AM, FM, P25 or something else? Reason we ask is because in most parts of the world, that's the aviation band, and it's AM. Since these radios will not receive AM (at least not in any way you can understand it), there's some questions about exactly what you are looking for. With a join date of today, and 3 posts to your name, there's going to be some wondering if you know what you are doing.

For AM, there's a lot of scanners that will let you do that, even low end ones. There's even hand held aviation radios. Just trying to get you the right stuff.

BOTD

No, you're right, I need a little BS scanner to do that job, doesn't have to be anything special, I was just hoping to combine monitoring of that freq with my comms in one unit, but since that isn't going to happen.....

Anyone have a solid recommendation on a supplier of XTS5000's ready to go?

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I need these units ready to run, encrypt programmed already. They only need to talk to each other.
Those two ideas seem incompatible with each other. You don't need transmit ability, yet the radios need to talk to each other? Hmm.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Yeah, I'm confused.

BOTD,
Maybe we need to start fresh here.
Can you give us some background on what you are wanting to accomplish? Details will help quite a bit.
Where are you located (country is good enough if you don't want to provide details)?
What are you licensed for specifically? If you are in the USA, can you share the call sign, or PM one of us so we can look at the license and help you decipher it.

BOTD

Those two ideas seem incompatible with each other. You don't need transmit ability, yet the radios need to talk to each other? Hmm.

Don't need transmit ability below the factory VHS, just receive down to 134.000. For the rest, as normal, transmit/receive encrypted, everything else the radio normally does. "Talk to each other" I meant directly, there would be no repeater or anything.. Listen, this is a dead horse guys, forget about it, please. This is not going to work the way I had hoped would be possible, I get it, I need a cheap mini scanning transceiver that has receive in VHF down to 134.000, that's all.

Now, if someone could PLEASE just point me in the direction of a good supplier of XTS5000's?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Now, if someone could PLEASE just point me in the direction of a good supplier of XTS5000's?

We bought some used Kenwood's from these guys a few years ago for a small project. Didn't have any issues with them, got what we ordered, no drama. Portable Radios
Website says they have some XTS-5K's in stock. But there's lots of other places to get those radios. They're being retired by a lot of agencies, so there's a lot on the used market. There's a number of other dealers that sell used radios.

hitechRadio

The frequency reception question notwithstanding, does anyone have recommendations for a supplier? "Check eBay" is not helpful. I need these units ready to run, encrypt programmed already. They only need to talk to each other. I need a reliable supplier who can get this done on a short time frame.

Your being vague. It is like what you are doing is top secret, and yet you came here to ask questions...makes sense!

You remind me of customers that know best what they want or need, and then come back and complain that it does not work the way you planned.

So what are you wanting to do???????????????????

I will assume here, you work for an airport security and want to be able to also listen on aircraft band.
No the XTS5k does not receive AM and will not receive that low.

You want some transmit channels (in the normal transceive rang of the XTS5k portable), presumably to talk to a security team and you need encryption.
Obviously all of the radio's would need same key for all radio's, I would also get a key loader, it is not uncommon for a radio to dump keys, even with IKR enabled.
There are many supplies out there besides ebay, but YRMV.
Will they program up what you want and sell you the radio's (that by the way are not supported or even sold new anymore) yes, assuming you are in the states (encryption), any shop wants to make money. Quick turn around, no idea.

Be prepared to have a license ready, at least our shop would not just program frequencies in radio's at customers request. Needed proof for those frequencies and also we required authorization for the programming of a new radio to the system from a supervisor of the company. I can imagine many shops do not take those steps though, more important to make a sale.

Additionally if your system is trunking, that is a whole nother can of worms.

It is simple really...Call you local radio shop.

Last edited:

N8IAA

First, he states he wants a XTS5000 that goes into the high end of the air band, and still transmit on VHF with encrypted comms.

Doesn't live in the US, agrees he can get by with an inexpensive scanner for civil air comms. But, still wants to buy, already set up with frequencies and encryption, radios to talk to others.

If this doesn't sound suspicious, what does??

I call TROLL. And a very suspicious one.

firetaz834

Don't need transmit ability below the factory VHS, just receive down to 134.000. For the rest, as normal, transmit/receive encrypted, everything else the radio normally does. "Talk to each other" I meant directly, there would be no repeater or anything.. Listen, this is a dead horse guys, forget about it, please. This is not going to work the way I had hoped would be possible, I get it, I need a cheap mini scanning transceiver that has receive in VHF down to 134.000, that's all.

I'm sure if you look on ebay, you can find a supplier of XTS5000's, they should be able to program them prior to shipping to you

Status
Not open for further replies.