Is it possible to use DSD Plus on the XT / P2 scanners?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
As some of you know, the P2 Uniden scanners have the capability to copy DMR / MOTOTRBO / NXDN, but don't have features like Analyze and LCN Finder. So someone trying to use these scanners to do research on a system are at a disadvantage.

Enter DSD+. You're going to say that it's cheap to add a RTL/SDR dongle to feed DSD Plus, and you're right. But why do so if the scanner you have - maybe it's sitting unused on a shelf somewhere - can do it?

You don't necessarily need a discriminator tap to make this work. The XT (and I think the P2) scanners have a function called Control Channel Data Output which makes the baseband audio available without doing surgery.

In theory it should work with DSD Plus, UniTrunker and any other app that needs baseband audio. Has anyone done it? Were there some extra steps or tricks needed within the app to make it work?

Folks trying to find an alternative to LCN Finder and Analyze that don't exist on these scanners would like to know, I'm sure - and we need to make this something we can point to in the wiki....Mike

Ubbe

The XT (and I think the P2) scanners have a function called Control Channel Data Output which makes the baseband audio available without doing surgery.
If that's true, where are the baseband audio coming out from the scanner? The text seems to indicate it comes from the USB connector and are refered to as raw control channel data, no baseband audio. If the audio are converted to USB data in the scanner it has to be a PC program that then converts in from USB data back to audio.

" CAUTION: This function will prevent the scanner from connecting to any control programs such as Butel, ProScan, etc. Make sure this function is off before using these programs or the connection will fail. "

/Ubbe

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I know folks have probably forgotten about it, it was popular back in the day...

It's also briefly mentioned on page 52 of the official Complete Reference Guide for the 396XT

In addition Pro96Com had support (beta) for it as of version 1.8.1. Looks like UniTrunker does too

So yes, it's there - maybe not baseband? But could it still feed DSD Plus?

Mike

Last edited:

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Uniden's C-CH Output is a data stream, not baseband audio. No, it won't work with DSD+. It works with software like Pro96Com and Unitrunker (v1 only) because they have support for reading the data stream and presenting it in a GUI.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
That's a shame. I thought there was a shot here, but no....as a famous cartoon character once said....

DRAT!!! FOILED AGAIN!!!

Thanks Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.